Ok, dumb question, how lifted is my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought this truck used and I want to go a bit higher, but I can’t figure out how much lift there currently is on it. It does have Bilstein 5100’s in the front but it doesn’t sit level. It’s 40” floor to wheel well in front and about 42” in the rear. It’s on BFG KO2’s 315/70R17 which are 34.4 diameter. I know what lift blocks look like on leaf springs, but with coils in the back I’m clueless.

Any ideas? Given that there are already Bilsteins on the front, what would be my easiest / least expensive way to get 2 or 3 more inches of lift. I am fine with keeping the rake or going level either one.

1C9758CF-D06F-4598-B9DD-BEDD07987E58.jpeg
42AD6655-B588-4A5C-9622-5FF92C962FBE.jpegE3FF03A2-A1B9-48B3-B68E-9FBEC4266337.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bils dont look to be adjusted up all the way, so you could possibly adjust for more lift up front. For the rear, look for a coil spacer on top of the coils (obviously isnt one on the bottom side). And look for a mopar tag on the coils, which would indicate they are the factory springs.

Nice looking regular cab!

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
How much higher do you want to go?

Depending upon that, you’ll have choices as to simply ‘add’ to what you have, or remove it all and start fresh with a complete kit for it.

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much higher do you want to go?

Depending upon that, you’ll have choices as to simply ‘add’ to what you have, or remove it all and start fresh with a complete kit for it.
Well, I'm learning. I would like to go a couple inches higher, but I want to still have a good ride and not spend $5000 lol

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I'm learning. I would like to go a couple inches higher, but I want to still have a good ride and not spend $5000 lol
Try to count how many “rings” are showing on the front bils, just below the spring perch. This will tell us how much higher you could get with those shocks. At max height you would want to add upper a-arms too. That would be about your cheapest way.

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to count how many “rings” are showing on the front bils, just below the spring perch. This will tell us how much higher you could get with those shocks. At max height you would want to add upper a-arms too. That would be about your cheapest way.
It was suggested a 1" spacer front and back which would get me 2" in the front and another inch in the back so I would be 42" front 43" back. Problem is I can only find .5 or 1.5 strut spacers and 1.5" is the smallest spring spacer I can find to fit the rear. Anything over 1" each end I'm told will be too much for the rest of the stock suspension parts.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It’s 40” floor to wheel well in front and about 42” in the rear.
To be able to compare how much a truck is lifted, measure from the center of the wheel to edge of the wheel well. Measuring from the ground up includes the height change from the tires also.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on your fender measurements most likely it’s between 2-3” front lift from the bils. Most likely 1-2” rear lift. If you are trying to go higher you are going to need to purchase a lift kit. Zone is fairly low priced but a decent kit if you are trying to stay lower priced. No spacers. You are already running adjustable struts. You could make sure the struts are set to max lift which would be 2.8”

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was suggested a 1" spacer front and back which would get me 2" in the front and another inch in the back so I would be 42" front 43" back. Problem is I can only find .5 or 1.5 strut spacers and 1.5" is the smallest spring spacer I can find to fit the rear. Anything over 1" each end I'm told will be too much for the rest of the stock suspension parts.
You have adjustable struts up front…no need to go with strut spacers, which are highly not recommended anyway. As i stated, count the rings under the coil cup…you may have adjustment for more lift with them. All you would need aside from doing that is upper a-arms.

And yes..:you dont want to go much more than 2-3” with stock suspension orientation. Anymore than that and you will wanna drop the front diff with brackets from a 4+” kit.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on your fender measurements most likely it’s between 2-3” front lift from the bils. Most likely 1-2” rear lift. If you are trying to go higher you are going to need to purchase a lift kit. Zone is fairly low priced but a decent kit if you are trying to stay lower priced. No spacers. You are already running adjustable struts. You could make sure the struts are set to max lift which would be 2.8”
Did your fender measurements add in the 1” or so more of lift from his 35’s?

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
To be able to compare how much a truck is lifted, measure from the center of the wheel to edge of the wheel well. Measuring from the ground up includes the height change from the tires also.

Exactly what Crash68 stated :waytogo:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the stock number to compare?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Zone 1.5” body lift. Around $110. Assuming one will fit a RC. It’s budget friendly but dear Lord will it wear your butt out installing it.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your fender measurements add in the 1” or so more of lift from his 35’s?
I’m at 40.5 ground to fender on my truck. 34.8” tires. So my tires aren’t much larger than his. I’m at 3” front so more or less guessing he may be close to 3” lift since the tires actual mounted and inflated height will be shorter than advertised. If they measure 34” on the truck that would put him around 2.5-3” front which would be maxed on the bilstein

fitz011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It appears the only lift mod you have is the 35s. If you want to level do nothing to the rear and add 2" spacers to the front springs. Parts cost = $50-75. The 5100s and front end will handle that modest lift w/o additional parts/alignment. Some complain about the ride w/the spacers. Many more have no complaints.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It appears the only lift mod you have is the 35s. If you want to level do nothing to the rear and add 2" spacers to the front springs. Parts cost = $50-75. The 5100s and front end will handle that modest lift w/o additional parts/alignment. Some complain about the ride w/the spacers. Many more have no complaints.
Well if his bils are at stock height, why not just adjust them up rather than putting spacers on?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Measure from ground to rear wheel well and the front as well. Subtract the diff, probably 2-2.5”. Pull the front struts and have the Bils set to 2.1 setting. Truck will be close to level if that’s what you want.

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe I'm at 39" ground to fender with a 2" level and no lift. Ride is factory smooth. OP has some kind of lift if he's higher than that.