Ok, some educate me on detailing my truck outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Once I get organized, how much time should it take to detail my truck?

My washing every 2-3 weeks now, using a wash and wax product, takes me about an hour to wash using a soft microfiber mitt and two 5 gallon buckets ( one water only for this nse the other has soap and water). I over rinse so the soap doesn't dry on the truck. I also wash in the shade on a cool surface.

Inside I vacuum and clean the windows. The RAM mats I usually brush and vacuum. I do not like slick mats.

I have the chrome appearance package on the bumpers and wheels. I found Maguire Wheel Magic for chrome wheels works well.

I do my truck and my wife's 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan which is black.

How long should it take me to detail the outside of my truck, which I assume is washing, then coating with some majic elixir and buffing by hand.

What chemicals should be used in the two stages?

Basically a detail newby as my car washing knowledge hasn't evolved much from the 1990s, or maybe the 80s.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sir, when I wash my Ram and wife's Durango, from setup to dry, a good two hours. Changing water between washes, drying towel and not being in a hurry. Mike Phillips said detailing should be therapy, not the reason for therapy. Everyone has their opinion about what is the best products. I like Meguiars, 303, and other off the shelf brands. Have fun

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HDGoose

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Sir, when I wash my Ram and wife's Durango, from setup to dry, a good two hours. Changing water between washes, drying towel and not being in a hurry. Mike Phillips said detailing should be therapy, not the reason for therapy. Everyone has their opinion about what is the best products. I like Meguiars, 303, and other off the shelf brands. Have fun

Two hours each or to do outside of both?

I remember back in the late 80's, or early 90s, there were products out that produced a shine and was claimed to be a major break through that lasted for a year. It turned out that that product did something to the paint that caused enough issues after about 3 years that vehicles had to be repainted. So I am leery of "magic elixirs". I use the ones that are safe for use, but may not produce the best results.

But I do not like paying $200-250 a month for someone to wash both my vehicles. But that does include inside and out.

And washing my own vehicles is part of me getting physically moving again. Old fat guy needs to do more.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It takes me about an hour to do my truck. I wash, rinse and dry (using a microfiber towel i got from Luxury Microfiber https://luxurymicrofiberstore.com/collections/auto-detailing-towels/products/moses ) a fantastic drying towel IMO. Then use a spray on coating - I like Bead Maker but there are several out there that work great. Spray it on, buff with a microfiber towel and then go back over for a final polish. Bead Maker lasts a month or more, so i only do that once every couple of months. Vac the interior, glass and tire dressing... about an hour all told...

But recently i decided to get a ceramic coating on the truck. This will last 4-5 years and eliminates the Bead Maker step. Kind of expensive, but worth it to me. So now i wash, rinse, dry, vac, glass and tires in about 30-40 minutes.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Two hours for the exteriors. We have no children so the interiors remain clean for a spell. Maybe twice a month I dress and vacuum. My Ram has leather, I enjoy high gloss leather. I do order detailing products from Amazon, Adam's polishes and buy from hard stands locally. I recently applied Adam's Graphene Ceramic coating to my Ram. Detailing should not be drudgery. Have fun. Get inspired by watching guys and gals on YouTube

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Too many factors to nail down a number. For me a vacuum, clean all the door jambs, dash etc and apply a leather conditioner takes me around an hour being pretty casual, but when I seek perfection it's 3 hours to remove and re-install the seats, carpet and centre console. 45 mins to do the carpet and hang it. Scrub brush with carpet cleaner, pressure wash out all the soap, vacuum as dry as possible with a wet/dry shop vac and hang to dry over night. Seats are pretty quick when out of the truck and windows etc are easier to do as well and I also clean all the area under the carpet. Probably 6-7 hours over 2 days. Wash, wipe, clay bar and a coat of wax or sealant usually takes me a couple hours tops, but with sealant I usually do 2 coats and leave it a couple hours between coats, then 24 hour cure and 2 coats of wax. If I can keep the truck clean for 2 days the total time for me is usually 5-6 hours if there's no buffing required. When going all out I do the outside first so I can get 2 coats of sealant on as early as possible. Then the interior while the sealant is curing. If the carpet is dry by morning I put the interior back together and then finish off with a couple coats of wax in the afternoon. Really depends on how far you want to go. Show cars have days of detailing done to make them look like they do. Undercarriage is also over an hour and if it's especially dirty I pull the wheels off to clean both sides and give better access to suspension components.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For washing, I try to do it weekly. I spend about 2 hours washing/drying my truck and my wife's Grand Cherokee. That's with using a foam gun and changing water between vehicles. I use a chemical guys mitt which is very soft and does a great job cleaning. For drying I use an Absorber I've had for 15 years now.

For exterior detailing, I like Griot's 3in1 Ceramic for the Grand Cherokee, and Carpro Reload for the truck. The GC is a dark blue pearl metallic and the Griot's does an amazing job on that. The Reload works better on my truck which is black. The Griot's leaves my truck "streaky". Either of those products you can get on plastic trim, glass, rubber, etc. which is why I like them. The Griot's does last longer than the Reload.

For interior detailing I vacuum it weekly and apply 303 Protectant every 6 weeks or so. The 303 is not greasy and it has UV blockers.

Using these methods my 2013 still looks new inside and out and it lives outside year round.

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do the wheels and tires first, rinse them off, I wash the whole truck before I rinse. I used to clean a section and rinse, but saw on youtube I think it was a Zaino guy wash the whole car before rinsing. Rinse it, hit with a leaf blower to knock most water off and dry with a waffle weave towel. Been using eagle one spray wax, topped with turtle wax express carnuba, last time I used turtle wax ceramic spray, 2 coats.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Once I get organized, how much time should it take to detail my truck?

My washing every 2-3 weeks now, using a wash and wax product, takes me about an hour to wash using a soft microfiber mitt and two 5 gallon buckets ( one water only for this nse the other has soap and water). I over rinse so the soap doesn't dry on the truck. I also wash in the shade on a cool surface.

Inside I vacuum and clean the windows. The RAM mats I usually brush and vacuum. I do not like slick mats.

I have the chrome appearance package on the bumpers and wheels. I found Maguire Wheel Magic for chrome wheels works well.

I do my truck and my wife's 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan which is black.

How long should it take me to detail the outside of my truck, which I assume is washing, then coating with some majic elixir and buffing by hand.

What chemicals should be used in the two stages?

Basically a detail newby as my car washing knowledge hasn't evolved much from the 1990s, or maybe the 80s.

I have found that when you dedicate your time to just the outside or just the inside you get better results. I Normally will do quick interior cleans in the driveway here and there and a nice interior detail once a month. Exterior is just all time. Work at your own pace and don’t stop until you’re happy with your results.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have found that when you dedicate your time to just the outside or just the inside you get better results. I Normally will do quick interior cleans in the driveway here and there and a nice interior detail once a month. Exterior is just all time. Work at your own pace and don’t stop until you’re happy with your results.

That is exactly what I do ...

I water down my truck first thoroughly then I spray the tires and or wheels depending on build up with diluted degreaser .... I then scrub the tires rinse the wheels and tires then I go ahead and spray the truck with the foam cannon ... let it sit for a few minutes then I use a microfiber mop with an extension for only the roof and hood since my truck is lifted ...

I then hit the whole truck with a microfiber mit with a 2nd one just for the wheels .... I rinse and dry with a waffle towel ... I then hit it with meguiars ceramic wax then buff it to a perfect shine ....

I also have a bottle with diluted meguiars hybrid ceramic wax that I use as a quick detailer in between washes as long as there is no heavy build up or grime ....

Total time is about 1.5 hours to 2 .... longest I have spent is 7 hours on a full detail inside and out ...

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Two hours for the exteriors. We have no children so the interiors remain clean for a spell. Maybe twice a month I dress and vacuum. My Ram has leather, I enjoy high gloss leather. I do order detailing products from Amazon, Adam's polishes and buy from hard stands locally. I recently applied Adam's Graphene Ceramic coating to my Ram. Detailing should not be drudgery. Have fun. Get inspired by watching guys and gals on YouTube

Hope do you like graphene?

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Texas sucks for black trucks!!
It depends on how many bugs I have to scrape off!! I try and wash once a week weather permitting. Once a year I do the whole clay bar, compound, polish and wax which takes me a weekend. That’s about it. It is a 2012 after all, probably would do more for it if it was new.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I am super lazy but like my vehicles to look better than new. Takes me 1/2 hour but I don't wax any of my vehicles. I wash with McKees car wash, then one section at a time use McKees hydro blue in sections, apply to wet area, rinse off, dry, is a silica coating. Can go on windows, chrome, plastic, anything. Even if you don't use it on your paint, is a great wheel treatment. If truck is 100% clean before hydro blue, comes out fantastic. If dust on truck, it covers dust like clear coat and have to strip off the hydro blue with the McKees wash or something like dawn. Interior I use a gonzo sponge to remove hair etc, light vaccum, then a slime interior cleaning stuff to get into cracks, speaker grills, etc. Then whatever your favorite dressing is, I use a stuff called I think full name is Dr Amos the bom. Was given it as gift and makes everything look new, not sticky or glossy. Sometimes use it on my wheels too and looks great and smells like orange.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I hate washing my truck. Top too high, tires and rims too big, hood too tall. I would be pleased if it was about the size of a Volkswagen. Getting old sucks

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I take mine to a self wash down the street. I've been taking my vehicles there since the early 80's when it first opened, and I have my one stall I always use, which is right next to the control room and has the best water pressure.

If I've been mudding, I'll use the soap brush, but it's normally just the pressure of the water doing the cleaning. I'll take it to "Soap" (which is just high pressure water with soap mixed in), then "Rinse" (high pressure water only), and then "Spot Free Rinse", which is just softened water. Costs about $5 per wash.

Once I get it home, I'll let it sit for a minute and then hit the tires with Armor All Ultra Shine Tire Foam and then hit the rims with a soft cloth and wipe any overspray and residual dirt. After that, I'll grab a micro towel and wipe up any water drops left over on the body/paint and then hit the plastic fender pieces with some *Mothers Back To Black and also clean the tips if needed. That's it. Takes me about 45 minutes to an hour.

For interior, it's wipe down all surfaces using Windex (including windows, door thresholds, and all around the seats), then vacuum, then wipe up any left-overs I may have missed. That gets done maybe once a month, and every once in a while it'll get an Armor All Wipes treatment to keep the surfaces pliable.

I did get the under carriage recently too, using some Dawn, hot water, scrub brush, and then some Armor All spray to make it shine. I need to get to that again soon for one last blast before the cold weather hits.

*Side Note: Do NOT use this on running board steps if you like your shins free of bruises. I used it on my running boards and I knew not to get it on the step portion, but just a tiny tiny bit carried over to the edge of the step and I didn't think much of it until I went to get in. Whoa! Like stepping on to the back of a slug. lol Good thing it wipes away easily enough with an alcohol based cleaner.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too many factors to nail down a number. For me a vacuum, clean all the door jambs, dash etc and apply a leather conditioner takes me around an hour being pretty casual, but when I seek perfection it's 3 hours to remove and re-install the seats, carpet and centre console. 45 mins to do the carpet and hang it. Scrub brush with carpet cleaner, pressure wash out all the soap, vacuum as dry as possible with a wet/dry shop vac and hang to dry over night. Seats are pretty quick when out of the truck and windows etc are easier to do as well and I also clean all the area under the carpet. Probably 6-7 hours over 2 days. Wash, wipe, clay bar and a coat of wax or sealant usually takes me a couple hours tops, but with sealant I usually do 2 coats and leave it a couple hours between coats, then 24 hour cure and 2 coats of wax. If I can keep the truck clean for 2 days the total time for me is usually 5-6 hours if there's no buffing required. When going all out I do the outside first so I can get 2 coats of sealant on as early as possible. Then the interior while the sealant is curing. If the carpet is dry by morning I put the interior back together and then finish off with a couple coats of wax in the afternoon. Really depends on how far you want to go. Show cars have days of detailing done to make them look like they do. Undercarriage is also over an hour and if it's especially dirty I pull the wheels off to clean both sides and give better access to suspension components.
You retired or what??? Most of us work and don't have time like that on our hands. LOL
I do similar to what you do (yes I'm retired) which last me most of the summer as I don't let it get dirty unless I go camping. Normally I only have to wash and dry. I have other cars to drive if the weather is nasty.

I recall during my Corvette days it did take a lot of time to detail my custom Corvette:
https://moskovita-photography.com/1977.htm

I do keep my Ram nice but it only takes me about an hour or so... I learned shortcuts after detailing my corvettes over the years.
https://moskovita-photography.com/2014_Ram_1500.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn