Old Detailer Tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
An old detailer gave me this tip years ago.I always hand paste wax then hand polish/sealer my truck,and you usually get a bit of static electricity built up that attracts dust,the tip he gave me is to ground the vehicle to help combat the static build-up.I have a light duty ground wire that I use,1 end has an alligator clip and the other end has an old ground plug cut off an old electrical cord.I clip the alligator clip onto the ground that's just behind the battery and then stick the other end in a grounded electrical box.Not saying it'll kill all the static build-up,but it does seem to help somewhat.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A small foam paint brush is great for cleaning air vents. Cheap to get and easy to find.

Clean your windows in different directions inside and out. If you go side to side outside go up and down inside. It’ll be easier to tell which side of the glass the streaks are on if there is any.

Clean upholstery first. That way it’s not stirring up dust etc on the hard surfaces you just cleaned.

When doing side windows, don’t forget to roll the window down a bit and clean the part that sits in the window channel. ( that’s how I tell how “ detailed “ the detailer was when cleaning. It’s easily and most likely overlooked small detail. )

Make your life easier, use the proper tools / product for what your cleaning. A multi purpose product may save time but the results won’t be as nice as using a dedicated product for the job.

Don’t wear jeans to detail, buckles, zippers etc can scratch and scuff if your not careful

I’m sure I have more but that’s all I can think of top of my head.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A small foam paint brush is great for cleaning air vents. Cheap to get and easy to find.

Clean your windows in different directions inside and out. If you go side to side outside go up and down inside. It’ll be easier to tell which side of the glass the streaks are on if there is any.

Clean upholstery first. That way it’s not stirring up dust etc on the hard surfaces you just cleaned.

When doing side windows, don’t forget to roll the window down a bit and clean the part that sits in the window channel. ( that’s how I tell how “ detailed “ the detailer was when cleaning. It’s easily and most likely overlooked small detail. )

Make your life easier, use the proper tools / product for what your cleaning. A multi purpose product may save time but the results won’t be as nice as using a dedicated product for the job.

Don’t wear jeans to detail, buckles, zippers etc can scratch and scuff if your not careful

I’m sure I have more but that’s all I can think of top of my head.

That's a great tip about doing the windows different directions Damion,i'll keep that one in mind from now on,thanks.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before you wax, mask off any black plastic moldings. It will prevent you from getting wax on the molding and trying to figure out how to remove it when it turns white or gray.
Jay