Older obd1 5.2 into later obd2 truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone it’s been a few years but I’m going back into the dodge game. I remembered years ago when I had my 4th Gen this was the place to go for info. So here it goes:

I have a 99 1500 with a bad 5.2 blowing smoke and upon some checks I’ve come to the conclusion that the rings are bad. It’s got 240k. #8 only has 100 psi, 1 and 3 have 120 psi, the rest are 130 to 140. I have a 94 grand Cherokee with a 5.2 with only 120k on the engine, what is necessary to swap over from the obd2 engine to the older obd1 engine to get it to run correctly?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Engine itself same. Use the engine harness and sensors from the newer truck.
The oil smoke is more likely from the gasket that let's go from the metal block off plate on the bottom of the intake. When the gasket breaks it gets sucked into the intake and then it will suck oil from the valley of the engine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Biggest things are swap the intake and exhaust manifolds. The obd1 has EGR and differently placed sensors on the intake.

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright thanks guys for the replies. What about the cam and crank pick up rings? Are they the same between engines? Does the older one actually have both sensors used in both engines?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Alright thanks guys for the replies. What about the cam and crank pick up rings? Are they the same between engines? Does the older one actually have both sensors used in both engines?
It does have em but just use your old sensors, you know they work and the plugs match. Install crank sensor AFTER you've bolted the engine in. Seems easy to bolt it in on the stand until you crush it between the block and bellhousing