Older seldom driven truck and gas stabilizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have an old 2007 Chev that is a farm run-around truck so it's not driven regularly. There are times I just start and run it a while to help keep the battery charged and circulate fluids. Any suggestions on adding a gas stabilizer/treatment whenever I fill the tank? I've used stabil for small engines but not sure about a product for this old truck. Thanks.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
On anything that sits like my Chain Saw,Snow Blower Lawn mower and 5 gal gas can get

Non Ethanol gas as it does not draw moisture line Ethanol fuel does.

So if possible use the Non Ethanol gas for long term storage
I also use Stable in it

As far as I no Stable should be fine in your 07 . but also look at Sea Foam ,also a good Stabilizer

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Typically the gas in this area has 10% ethanol so for small engines I always use the 89 octane as recommended. Thanks for mentioning Seafoam; had forgot about it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Brother back in Connecticut used to be mechanic for a Ford dealership, then he started his own business repairing small engines

He swears by the Stabil Products
They have Stabil for regular gas & for the new ethanol crap

Ethanol is a corn product
It contains a lot of water that will rust metal, that is the main reason the gas tanks are now made of plastic
It also has a chemical in it that will gum up a carburetor & it will eat up the seals.
If you can, shut off the fuel petcock & run the engine until it stalls, that should empty the carburetor bowl.
If you can, spray the insides of the carburetor with a light lubricant, ( not a penetrant )

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I back in 06 blew up a 306 sbf motor in one of my foxbody mustangs. I had been giving it a big shot nitrous for some time. It randomly let go and the goal was a built 408. It took 2 years, but I used stabil with good 93 octane and when it was time to start it back up it was fine. I will vote always stabil. It’s good stuff.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is gas engine?
Man I wish there was non ethonal gas where I live, no such thing out here anymore [emoji43] I have to drain the carbs on all my bikes and mower allllllll the time, pita

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use HOWES diesel treat for my tractor, works great. Gas I havent trusted anything enough with the crap blends out here to try.
I will be watching this one [emoji482]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
High-test 93 octane will last the longest in a fuel system because of the Octane, Also I use Star Tron Enzyme fuel, treatment treats 128 gallons of gas, works great for me.