Omg Is this the fall cp4 announcement we've been waiting for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
We called such designs "value-engineered". i.e. - design margin was to be x 1.000000 to get to the end of warranty. Dictated by the great executives.

In the CP4 case, they didn't even get there. Can't imagine what Bosch was thinking.
I call it "when the bean counters make the decisions" :oops:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
We called such designs "value-engineered". i.e. - design margin was to be x 1.000000 to get to the end of warranty. Dictated by the great executives.

In the CP4 case, they didn't even get there. Can't imagine what Bosch was thinking.
Indeed! A friend of mine is a retired AMC/Jeep/Mopar engineer. He explained(oversimplified)how they are tasked to design a given part, then upon review, the targets for packaging, weight, and cost are tightened up. Naturally, the bean counters hold enormous sway. They call it MCM-Material Cost Management. The engineers call it MCM-Make Customers Mad. Sad, but oh so true.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I call it "when the bean counters make the decisions" :oops:

Wasn't a bean counter influence. If the enginerds made the bore elliptical or another means of alignment for the roller tipped sleeve in the bore, it would of been fine. There's nothing holding the roller tip parallel with the camshaft it rides on so a little contamination or heat it can stick in the bore and rotate. After it does that it is just a bunch of pretty sparkles in your fuel system since the roller and camshaft are cooled and lubricated by the diesel fuel.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wasn't a bean counter influence. If the enginerds made the bore elliptical or another means of alignment for the roller tipped sleeve in the bore, it would of been fine. There's nothing holding the roller tip parallel with the camshaft it rides on so a little contamination or heat it can stick in the bore and rotate. After it does that it is just a bunch of pretty sparkles in your fuel system since the roller and camshaft are cooled and lubricated by the diesel fuel.
What you say about the pump design is absolutely correct, but I'd bet a nickel it was a bean counter decision to go with a CP4 not because it can handle higher pressures but because it was cheaper than the CP3.

IMO corporations are being run today by the bean counters whose goal is to satisfy the stockholder rather than the operation people. That's one of the reasons corporations are no longer customer satisfaction oriented, only profit oriented.

I'm done, thanks for letting me rant :D

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What you say about the pump design is absolutely correct, but I'd bet a nickel it was a bean counter decision to go with a CP4 not because it can handle higher pressures but because it was cheaper than the CP3.

IMO corporations are being run today by the bean counters whose goal is to satisfy the stockholder rather than the operation people. That's one of the reasons corporations are no longer customer satisfaction oriented, only profit oriented.

I'm done, thanks for letting me rant :D

Carry on....it's bringing my nervous twitch back.
Some scars never heal.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Just read all 19 pages of this thread. I have a deposit on a 2019 3500 Dually HO because the 2022 I ordered back in March hasn't been built yet and I need the truck for an upcoming trip to AZ from PA.
The salesman for the 2019 said the truck is going in the shop for recall work before it will be ready to sell. Im hoping the HPFP is on the list. I checked the VIN on the NHTSA recall page and the HPFP, wheel studs, and wiper arm recalls have not been done as of this morning.
After reading this entire thread if the HPFP hasn't been done when the salesman calls me to say its ready I think I'm going to pass...I don't need that pump grenading on a 2,400 mile trip across the country...
What say you?

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Just read all 19 pages of this thread. I have a deposit on a 2019 3500 Dually HO because the 2022 I ordered back in March hasn't been built yet and I need the truck for an upcoming trip to AZ from PA.
The salesman for the 2019 said the truck is going in the shop for recall work before it will be ready to sell. Im hoping the HPFP is on the list. I checked the VIN on the NHTSA recall page and the HPFP, wheel studs, and wiper arm recalls have not been done as of this morning.
After reading this entire thread if the HPFP hasn't been done when the salesman calls me to say its ready I think I'm going to pass...I don't need that pump grenading on a 2,400 mile trip across the country...
What say you?
I would make that part of my deal. Tell them your ready to sign on the dotted line on 1 condition, that the hpfp gets replaced first . The biggest part is the ordering of parts kit and scheduling the work. Once it's in it only takes 1 day to swap out. The wiper arm and wheel stud only take a few minutes to check.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I would make that part of my deal. Tell them your ready to sign on the dotted line on 1 condition, that the hpfp gets replaced first . The biggest part is the ordering of parts kit and scheduling the work. Once it's in it only takes 1 day to swap out. The wiper arm and wheel stud only take a few minutes to check.
I agree. I have decided to walk away from the deal if the pump recall isn't done. I really like the truck, its a Bighorn instead of the 2022 Tradesman I had on order but don't need a ticking time bomb going down the highway while pulling a 16,000 lb 5'er

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Being a retired design engineer, I watched the Technician's video of the CP3 vs. CP4 design. Pretty clear to me it was a "value-engineering" cost reduction only...without sufficient duty cycle robustness.

Not saying some cost reduction couldn't have been accomplished, but they went waaaaaay overboard...esp. for diesel, where reliability and longevity are primary design requirements. What happens when monopolies control products (Bosch HPCR fuel pumps). Cam is way too aggressive for roller lifters for adequate fatigue life. They should have predicted that from fatigue life curves at the stress level seen with required plunger actuations.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just dropped mine off again (different dealer) tonight, for appt set tomorrow.
Told them to change both fuel filters while they are working on it.
Let's see how long it takes.

While I was there, I asked about wife's Jeep GC fuel pump and the woman said she hadn't heard anything about them. She said the next appt for fuel pump replacement would be Sept. 6.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just received my recall notice

Z46/NHTSA 22V-406

--------------------------------------

I just had Mandatory Recall done last month, could not re-register my Ram without doing it
The Joys of living in a Progressive State, lmao.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ok. They told me truck was done. I went to pick it up right about closing time.
Truck was in the parking lot and when I hopped in and went to start it, it cranked and cranked and cranked and then started.
Truck never went through cranking before starting before. Always fired right up. Hot, cold, warm, always fired up.
I had the fuel filters changed and I am going to see what it is like in the morning. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and figuring there was air in the line. Only other thought was it lost prime because of leak at one of the filters or the new pump. Didn't smell any fuel though.
I left the dealer and drove about a mile to the Home Depot. Came out and it did start a little better. Got on the highway and cruised nice, no issues all the way home.

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Ok. They told me truck was done. I went to pick it up right about closing time.
Truck was in the parking lot and when I hopped in and went to start it, it cranked and cranked and cranked and then started.
Truck never went through cranking before starting before. Always fired right up. Hot, cold, warm, always fired up.
I had the fuel filters changed and I am going to see what it is like in the morning. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and figuring there was air in the line. Only other thought was it lost prime because of leak at one of the filters or the new pump. Didn't smell any fuel though.
I left the dealer and drove about a mile to the Home Depot. Came out and it did start a little better. Got on the highway and cruised nice, no issues all the way home.
Nothing to be concerned over and pretty typical of a fuel filter change. The tech probably just changed the filters and started it and parked it without letting it run for a few minutes which resulted in a prolonged start for you. Some techs will let it run for a while and then that won't happen to you, and some techs just want to get the filters off and on and get the vehicle parked so they can get off the clock , and that's when the fuel didn't get run long enough so it's not fully filled up in the lines