On-Board Air for Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dang it looks fun to work on your truck on such a nice day...

:patriot:

Screenshot_20200209_081736_com.pelmorex.WeatherEyeAndroid.jpg

Edit:
That's -20F in freedom units

Keep on the good job, I already have a compressor but yet to install it and follow your work closely :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Dang it looks fun to work on your truck on such a nice day...

:patriot:

View attachment 194628

Edit:
That's -20F in freedom units

Keep on the good job, I already have a compressor but yet to install it and follow your work closely :)
Thanks. I need to start a PW build thread as I have a few mods I need to keep up with.
Yes it was a nice day in my part of the world yesterday. I could not live year around as far north as you do.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Are they interconnected by a rigid tube? The connection may be damaged due to vibration.
Yes. It is a 3/8 bass nipple that connects the two.
Both tanks are bolted to the aluminum angle iron with grade 8 bolts and also bolted to the toolbox with grade 8 bolts on the vertical and horizontal.

I have tubbing and connectors and plugs on my rig to make a repair on the fly.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Tanks hold 165 psi. I plan on installing two air hose disconnects on each side of my truck bolted through my sliders.
I need to air down the tires this weekend to 24 psi and clock the inflation time to get me back to 55psi.

takebars

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4L Hemi
2nd 3 gal tank installed!!

Really like your setup. Well thought out and well constructed. I am debating on placing an air chuck on both sides of the truck. I will probably wait until I get my sliders that are on order before I make any final decisions.

Other than a quick blast of air (maybe for air horns) I am not sure what adding small tanks to the system would be useful for. They will empty down nearing instantly when airing up a tire, and then there you are... relying on the compressors output.

I plan on installing a small 1 gallon tank. I want to have to ability to run a power tool if needed. I understand that it won't run it for long, but it might be the difference in getting a stuck lug off.

I think I could make it work in there the way I use them. But, since you dont really ever have to get to it, I would rather just hide it up under the truck/hood somewhere. Never see it again.

Don't forget there are filters that need to be cleaned occasionally. I am going to make my passenger side rambox my ARB station. Dual compressor, 1 gal tank, and diff breathers routed to there.

My driver side rambox is going to be reserved for my Flex 1500 power station. The main reason is so I can charge that station with the 400w plug in the driver's side rambox.

Everything is on order, but it will probably be a couple of months before I receive all the parts and get everything installed.

takebars

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Started installing my on board air this weekend. I chose the ARB dual compressor with a 1 gallon air tank, and I placed them in my rambox on the passenger side. I'd say I am 40% of the way done. I have not run any hoses yet, and I have not tackled the wiring. Honestly I am a little nervous about the wiring. I have some limited electrical experience in the house, but I have not done any automotive electrical work. Part of me is thinking about paying a professional to extend the harness. Any thoughts or tips?

Also mounted the diff breather, but the hoses will wait for another day. This is my ARB corner.
IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3399.JPG

Threw on the Factor55 gear too

IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3401.JPG

I'll try to update when the wiring and hoses are all complete. So far happy with the way things fit.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Started installing my on board air this weekend. I chose the ARB dual compressor with a 1 gallon air tank, and I placed them in my rambox on the passenger side. I'd say I am 40% of the way done. I have not run any hoses yet, and I have not tackled the wiring. Honestly I am a little nervous about the wiring. I have some limited electrical experience in the house, but I have not done any automotive electrical work. Part of me is thinking about paying a professional to extend the harness. Any thoughts or tips?

Also mounted the diff breather, but the hoses will wait for another day. This is my ARB corner.
View attachment 224434 View attachment 224435 View attachment 224436

Threw on the Factor55 gear too

View attachment 224437 View attachment 224438

I'll try to update when the wiring and hoses are all complete. So far happy with the way things fit.
So the wiring is way short for any bed insulation. Need heavy gauge wire is need to run the power for that beast and if you are using the toggle switch that cam with it, you will have to extend that wire as well.
Hoses and fittings were at an auto parts store that support 18 wheeler because they use the same fittings for their brakes and air horn. Check my Build thread for more information.

takebars

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So the wiring is way short for any bed insulation. Need heavy gauge wire is need to run the power for that beast and if you are using the toggle switch that cam with it, you will have to extend that wire as well.
Hoses and fittings were at an auto parts store that support 18 wheeler because they use the same fittings for their brakes and air horn. Check my Build thread for more information.

Thank you for the info, and so promptly! I knew the harness was short for the bed install, the main reason I am nervous about doing the extension myself. My plan is to mount the toggle switch in that same corner, but I couldn't locate my dremel. Probably have to remove the box again to complete the install. I figure I am going to open that rambox to get the hoses every time anyway, so I might as well put the switch by the unit.

I have read through your thread a few times. I am a big fan of your rig, and I always appreciate your input. :driver:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thank you for the info, and so promptly! I knew the harness was short for the bed install, the main reason I am nervous about doing the extension myself. My plan is to mount the toggle switch in that same corner, but I couldn't locate my dremel. Probably have to remove the box again to complete the install. I figure I am going to open that rambox to get the hoses every time anyway, so I might as well put the switch by the unit.

I have read through your thread a few times. I am a big fan of your rig, and I always appreciate your input. :driver:
First off thanks for being a fan. :33:
2nd if you are not going to run hoses anywhere for quick connects, then you just need a tee between the pump and the tank to tread in the quick connect inside the box. Easy pesy! The switch can stay in the box. I ran mine into the cab so if I leave it on and had a leak my switch pod controller will turn it off when my voltage dips so I don’t come back to a dead battery.

takebars

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4L Hemi
First off thanks for being a fan. :33:
2nd if you are not going to run hoses anywhere for quick connects, then you just need a tee between the pump and the tank to tread in the quick connect inside the box. Easy pesy! The switch can stay in the box. I ran mine into the cab so if I leave it on and had a leak my switch pod controller will turn it off when my voltage dips so I don’t come back to a dead battery.

I want to find an ignition I can tap off for the switch. Dead battery would be a real bummer. As for the quick connects, I think you were the one that was going to mount them in the sliders. Did you ending doing that? And if so how did it work out? I have some Maple sliders on order, and I am waiting to make any final decisions until I install those. Had a shipping mishap with my order, but Neil has been very helpful.

Off-roading and modding are new to me. I've read a lot over the last few months, and spent a lot of money. Waiting on a few pieces I ordered to show up before I will call it good... for now. This forum provides a lot of information, and I think I may be hooked in this off-road world.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I want to find an ignition I can tap off for the switch. Dead battery would be a real bummer. As for the quick connects, I think you were the one that was going to mount them in the sliders. Did you ending doing that? And if so how did it work out? I have some Maple sliders on order, and I am waiting to make any final decisions until I install those. Had a shipping mishap with my order, but Neil has been very helpful.

Off-roading and modding are new to me. I've read a lot over the last few months, and spent a lot of money. Waiting on a few pieces I ordered to show up before I will call it good... for now. This forum provides a lot of information, and I think I may be hooked in this off-road world.
I do/did on planning on porting out a few quick connects. I have not done it. I have the line running through my bed to my horns so to add a tee under the bed is easy but drilling a 3/4” hole in my slide will take a bigger bit then I own. And I never remember to buy one when I’m at the hardware store. Seems like I air up more air mattress, pool toys and river tubes, then tires these days. I bought a CJ7 so I have been modding it lately... and trying to get in the deer blind...I will get back to the PW this winter and update my build thread with some new stuff.

1B0411EC-21A0-4351-9E40-0A211A447FF0.jpeg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I do/did on planning on porting out a few quick connects. I have not done it. I have the line running through my bed to my horns so to add a tee under the bed is easy but drilling a 3/4” hole in my slide will take a bigger bit then I own. And I never remember to buy one when I’m at the hardware store. Seems like I air up more air mattress, pool toys and river tubes, then tires these days. I bought a CJ7 so I have been modding it lately... and trying to get in the deer blind...I will get back to the PW this winter and update my build thread with some new stuff.

View attachment 224504
Such a nice one. I typically buy/rehab TJs, I wanna do a CJ but I can't find one anywhere near me that isn't a complete rustbucket. Don't mean to hijack, we now return to the regularly scheduled thread content...

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Such a nice one. I typically buy/rehab TJs, I wanna do a CJ but I can't find one anywhere near me that isn't a complete rustbucket. Don't mean to hijack, we now return to the regularly scheduled thread content...
Haha. My thread to begin with anyways. I only posted the pic because I always post “ pictures or it didn’t happen” I’m building this CJ to sell. What? Road trip to Texas?? Haha.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha, its his thread, we can talk about jeep pics that he posts all we want.

Nice jeep, trailmaker! Thats a dandy for sure...quite jealous.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Ha, its his thread, we can talk about jeep pics that he posts all we want.

Nice jeep, trailmaker! Thats a dandy for sure...quite jealous.
Thank you sir.

my PW made it into the nominations this month for “truck of the month”. They will open a thread to vote on. Pretty nice trucks last month but no PWs. They are all polished up and shiny. My pics were all muddy/dirty as I did not want to represent us PW’s as Pavement Queens or a Street Princess!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452