On to the expensive mods now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have pretty much done everything i can do for the little mods. Now i have to get on to the expensive ones. New tires, Rims, Level and lift. What is the 1st one to start off with as they all sort of need to go hand in hand to prevent rubbing all the rest that goes with upgrading all that? I have the 20x9 stock brushed aluminum rims right now.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
What's the purpose or the main advantage of leveling???

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can clear bigger tires in the back than the front so leveling allows bigger tires by giving more clearance in the front. Some people prefer their truck sits level vs having rake so bringing up the front achieves that look.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Probably lift first if the tires you want are too big to clear stock height.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Real good idea to have a clear plan for your end game so you can work straight toward it without incrementally buying and installing parts that will have to come back off later.

Lots of people just want the big tires look, you can do 35's with a level so that's your least trouble, least cost path to that result.

If you want to expand your capabilities off road, you might want to pair 35's with a lift - because of the limitations on stock front suspension geometry there's a bit of a step there you can do around 2 inches of lift with struts in front and springs or spacers in back (and a few other bits to keep everything working properly), or you have to go up to 4 inches plus, with a "full" lift. Which to choose is going to come down to budget and plans.

OP
OP
Wes Veness

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Real good idea to have a clear plan for your end game so you can work straight toward it without incrementally buying and installing parts that will have to come back off later.

Lots of people just want the big tires look, you can do 35's with a level so that's your least trouble, least cost path to that result.

If you want to expand your capabilities off road, you might want to pair 35's with a lift - because of the limitations on stock front suspension geometry there's a bit of a step there you can do around 2 inches of lift with struts in front and springs or spacers in back (and a few other bits to keep everything working properly), or you have to go up to 4 inches plus, with a "full" lift. Which to choose is going to come down to budget and plans.
Thanks, that was the answer i thought it would come down too but just wanted it confirmed as I'm not good to do jobs like that on a truck myself. Put on my running boards but that is the most i'd wanna do in taking off or adding things myself.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Just went through this, and agree with Kurek's comments.

Having a "vision" of what you want for the end result will drive your plan of action.

Personally I did the lift first, because I wanted to see if there was any ride difference or other characteristics that stood out. To much my surprise the ride was better, which I wasn't really expecting. Kudos to MaxTrac. This also gave me time to decide which wheels I wanted to go with. Went with Fuel Mavericks which gave a nice stance. Last will be tires. Still have lots of tread but will replace this summer.

If your not sure of what you want.... look at others that catch your eye, lots of pic sites out there for ideas, especially here.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I did the lift, wheels and tires at the same time, I did use Custom Offsets to help me decide on the right size of lift, wheels and tires ... It was good right of the bat ...

Check the website out to see what fits your truck ...

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can clear bigger tires in the back than the front so leveling allows bigger tires by giving more clearance in the front. Some people prefer their truck sits level vs having rake so bringing up the front achieves that look.
Not taking away from OP's thread. Thanks for answering a question about leveling. Not interested in lifting but was just trying to figure out what leveling was good for.

Reactions: BWL

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Be careful with considering leveling if you haul heavy or tow heavy. The factory rake is there for a reason. When you level, then tow or haul heavy, you wind up with headlights pointed up into the sky and very light steering (and reduced front tire traction) .

All bad things unless you take steps to correct them after the level. I haul and tow heavy with mine so I personally will never do a level, but that's just me. Everyone is different. Good luck