One thing I REALLY dislike a out my RAM...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Although there is a lot to love about my RAM, I really don’t enjoy the vehicle when sitting in stop-and-go traffic.

Traffic aside, I find the quick shifts between first to third, and downshifting from third to first to be abrupt and unpleasant.

I had the dealer update the shifting with a flash, but after a week - not sure there is a real difference.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although there is a lot to love about my RAM, I really don’t enjoy the vehicle when sitting in stop-and-go traffic.

Traffic aside, I find the quick shifts between first to third, and downshifting from third to first to be abrupt and unpleasant.

I had the dealer update the shifting with a flash, but after a week - not sure there is a real difference.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

What year, engine and gears are you running? My 2018 hemi has the 3.92 gears with 8-spd and while the shifting is frequent at low MPH I don’t really notice it around town as the tranny is pretty smooth when shifting.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What year, engine and gears are you running? My 2018 hemi has the 3.92 gears with 8-spd and while the shifting is frequent at low MPH I don’t really notice it around town as the tranny is pretty smooth when shifting.

8 Speed 8HP70 Trans, 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio - that answer the question?

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

2015 Big Horn 8spd 3.21

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there is a tendency for the 8 speeds with the 3.92's to seem like they "short shift" but I have not heard any complaints from anyone with the 3.21 having that same problem. Around town I usually "lock" the trans in 7th gear to avoid the extra shifting around town and to keep the engine from lugging down--usually anything below about 50 mph. That may help your problem--I'm not sure.
Jay

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there is a tendency for the 8 speeds with the 3.92's to seem like they "short shift" but I have not heard any complaints from anyone with the 3.21 having that same problem. Around town I usually "lock" the trans in 7th gear to avoid the extra shifting around town and to keep the engine from lugging down--usually anything below about 50 mph. That may help your problem--I'm not sure.
Jay

I tend to be very OCD about the vehicle. It isn’t unpleasant necessarily, just something in the feel when I am 0-25 mpg moving 50-75 yards at a time. Now that I am hyper focused on it - it makes me a little nuts.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I can do this on command, coming to a stop sign - do a cali stop where your rolling and never come to a full stop and then go.....

you get this nice BANG in your tranny/torque converter/driveshaft and then it goes

Same when going in stop/go traffic, sometimes the torque converter locks and accelerates the vehicle when I dont want it too, its freaky and happens about 1/10 in stop go traffic, and in stop go traffic I can make the bang come on in the tranny/driveshaft/torque coverter as well.

8spd wiht 3.55

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to be very OCD about the vehicle. It isn’t unpleasant necessarily, just something in the feel when I am 0-25 mpg moving 50-75 yards at a time. Now that I am hyper focused on it - it makes me a little nuts.

Be thankful you have 3.21 and not 3.92 because it would be even worse for you then. [emoji1]

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try putting the vehicle into 8th gear mode to disable mds. It smoothed out my shifting with 3.92 gears because i don’t feel the 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder changes and it shifts funky in 4 cylinder mode in my truck in lower gears almost like it can’t synchronize properly.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try putting the vehicle into 8th gear mode to disable mds. It smoothed out my shifting with 3.92 gears because i don’t feel the 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder changes and it shifts funky in 4 cylinder mode in my truck in lower gears almost like it can’t synchronize properly.

How do I put it in 8th gear mode?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay

Good idea

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I must have my foot in it more than I think, as mine w/3.92s shifts smoothly in traffic. Only time I notice the downshift to 1st is when rapidly decelerating from highway speed to a stop. Luv the 8spd...
Best,
DG

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use the button on the steering wheel to manually put in "8".
Jay

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use the button on the steering wheel to manually put in "8".
Jay

Yep, found a video that described. The symptom you describe are “spot on”.

Looks like you can’t disable MDS permanently, and big decrease in MPG. True?

Thanks.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I must have my foot in it more than I think, as mine w/3.92s shifts smoothly in traffic. Only time I notice the downshift to 1st is when rapidly decelerating from highway speed to a stop. Luv the 8spd...
Best,
DG

Yep, noticed the same.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, found a video that described. The symptom you describe are “spot on”.

Looks like you can’t disable MDS permanently, and big decrease in MPG. True?

Thanks.

You can disable it if you buy one of the CPU piggyback units that allows disabling MDS or have your system flashed with a custom tune. Pulsar Edge comes to mind.

I routinely disable MDS and around town see no discernible difference in MPG. Even all highway MPG on recent 600 mile trip I only saw .5-1 MPG less with MDS disabled for the entire trip.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can disable it if you buy one of the CPU piggyback units that allows disabling MDS or have your system flashed with a custom tune. Pulsar Edge comes to mind.

I routinely disable MDS and around town see no discernible difference in MPG. Even all highway MPG on recent 600 mile trip I only saw .5-1 MPG less with MDS disabled for the entire trip.

Is it weird that getting a tuner or custom tune scares the hell out of me? Maybe post-warranty...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado