One thing I REALLY dislike a out my RAM...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Warranty is a consideration, however if you don't have any high dollar repairs the dealership should(not positive)have no reason to check for a tune. If you unload the tune and switch out the PCM you shouldn't have any problem when you take your truck in for any type of service. Or you can be like some of us that realize that by buying a tuner you have assumed the responsibility if anything breaks as a result of the tune, it is on your dime. In other words we tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Nothing more than personal accountability.
Jay

never-enough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my truck had some paddle shifters so I could keep it in the gear I want all the time

The steering wheel buttons are somewhat useful, but not nearly the amount of control I’m used to having over a transmission

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Warranty is a consideration, however if you don't have any high dollar repairs the dealership should(not positive)have no reason to check for a tune. If you unload the tune and switch out the PCM you shouldn't have any problem when you take your truck in for any type of service. Or you can be like some of us that realize that by buying a tuner you have assumed the responsibility if anything breaks as a result of the tune, it is on your dime. In other words we tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Nothing more than personal accountability.
Jay

The problem with being honest is they can flag your vehicle and void your warranty. No way anyone can tell me that a tune wiped out the radio for example. I know first hand this happens in the Jeep world.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my truck had some paddle shifters so I could keep it in the gear I want all the time

The steering wheel buttons are somewhat useful, but not nearly the amount of control I’m used to having over a transmission

I hate paddle shifters. My wife’s Charger RT has those and I’m always hitting them accidentally while driving, wish they had an on/off setting or switch

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Are you the original owner of the truck? If not you may benefit from disconnecting the battery for an hour so the truck will "reset" and do a better job of relearning your driving habits. Even if you are the original owner it might not hurt to try that.

Another thing to consider is the ZF 8 speeds can be clunky (especially in traffic) until they get hot. My Charger 392 can be a bit rough for the first couple miles until it warms up a little. They run hotter than most transmissions and when cold they have a procedure to purposely get them up to higher temps. Once it reaches around 150 mine is usually shifting pretty much perfectly.

I hate paddle shifters. My wife’s Charger RT has those and I’m always hitting them accidentally while driving, wish they had an on/off setting or switch

If the car has Super Track Pak you can turn them off. Otherwise I don't think you can.

Gorena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although there is a lot to love about my RAM, I really don’t enjoy the vehicle when sitting in stop-and-go traffic.

Traffic aside, I find the quick shifts between first to third, and downshifting from third to first to be abrupt and unpleasant.

I had the dealer update the shifting with a flash, but after a week - not sure there is a real difference.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are mashing in the pedal and it jumps to get speed. Acceleration should be smooth. Be one with your truck and adjust foot pressure to back off for gear acceleration. It will automatically shift but you can also assist in control knowing how much to press down - don’t mash down or it goes into what I call turbo.. it might not be the one thing you dont like after all. It might be the one thing the truck doesn’t like about you (grin)... it’s like riding a horse... my truck has a mind of it’s own ;-)

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can do this on command, coming to a stop sign - do a cali stop where your rolling and never come to a full stop and then go.....

you get this nice BANG in your tranny/torque converter/driveshaft and then it goes

Same when going in stop/go traffic, sometimes the torque converter locks and accelerates the vehicle when I dont want it too, its freaky and happens about 1/10 in stop go traffic, and in stop go traffic I can make the bang come on in the tranny/driveshaft/torque coverter as well.

8spd wiht 3.55

Same here but I have the 8 speed with a 3.21 axle. Accerlating slowly in stop and go traffic will result in feeling the transmission shift from first to second to third. And coming down from ~40km/h the truck slows itself down pretty rapidly. Coming to a slow stop the trans jumps to a stop before the truck has.
I will try manually putting it in "8" and see what happens.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here but I have the 8 speed with a 3.21 axle. Accerlating slowly in stop and go traffic will result in feeling the transmission shift from first to second to third. And coming down from ~40km/h the truck slows itself down pretty rapidly. Coming to a slow stop the trans jumps to a stop before the truck has.
I will try manually putting it in "8" and see what happens.

Those harder shifts occur when the 8spd is cold. After a bit of driving and getting temps up, it should be buttery smooth.

The one thing that annoys me is how FCA says the transmission oil is lifetime and never needs to be replaced. This is total bs as ZF (the manufacturer of the 8spd) recommends it being replaced. The oil and pan itself is expensive but I believe it's good for 100,000miles. I would be doing at 80,000miles especially if you tow a lot.

thekevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the same type shifting when I don’t have my mds disables. One more thing to hate about mds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two identical trucks, except paint color & yr made:
My 14 sport has the 8-spd w3.92 gears... clunky & jumpy
My 18 sport has the 8-spd w/3.21 gears... buttery & smooth.

Can we still do the gas pedal reset/recalibration on the 2018 trucks..?
I can`t remember for the life of me how to do that today... Dang old age is whoopin my ***...!!!! lol

All in all, i enjoy my 18 so much more than my 14, its just smooth as glass with the 3.21 gears.
The MDS in my 14 was horrible... my 18 is sooooo smooth, you can barely hear or tell when it goes into MDS 4cyl mode.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, my 18 is getting 2 more mpg better than my 14 does.