One Year Update - A Fully Deleted Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I thought I'd give an update on my Cummins one year after purchase. I purchased the new Delmonico Red Laramie 2500 Cummins on 3/31/17.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked my Cummins from the first day I got it but, dang it, it ran like crap. It threw numerous codes, it spit and sputtered more than a few times and left me stranded by the side of the road twice; all within 6 weeks of ownership. It went to several dealers and besides resetting the codes and telling me the DPF system wasn't regenerating like it should, no fixes were carried out. Apparently there was nothing they could do or so they said.

Well, there was something I could do.... :D

One word of caution here. The dealer will note on one or more service tickets that the owner has made substantial modifications to a new truck. Mine was noted on a fuel filter change out service performed last Thursday. With that being said, you need to understand that a portion of your warranty will be null and void. Just sayin'....

So what was it I could do? I said the heck with it and a full EGR, throttle valve and DPF system delete was done. And, I did a bit of transmission upgrading as well. Here's what all that entailed:

Delete & Tune mods
  • Edge CTS-2 Insight monitor with Cummins unlock
  • 13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge CSP4 tune package by PPEI / Kory Willis
  • 13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge transmission tuning
  • Cummins tuning switch CSP4
  • EGR valve and cooler removal with block off plate
  • Throttle valve delete
  • FloPro catalytic converter, 4” DPF delete pipe & Corsa dB series muffler
  • 4” – 6” black exhaust tip with rolled edge
  • Edge expandable EGT probe kit
  • Pillar pod mount for Edge CTS2
  • S&B cold air intake
Transmission mods
  • BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit
  • Mag Hytec deep transmission pan
  • ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace
The questions I usually get are 1) How does it run, 2) How much did all that cost, and, 3) What did that do to your mileage?

Well, it runs great. It's amazing how much smoother and more powerful the Cummins is when you open it up and remove those systems. Throttle responise improved significantly. It shifts much better and I attribute that to the transmission mods and tuning I had done. It sounds like a real Cummins now and, truth be told, folks that I pass on the left who have their windows down don't seem to care for the sound one bit. But it sounds dang good inside the cab and when cruising at low RPM it's hard to tell anything has been done to the truck.

Another beneift is that I don't have to pay for any more DPF fluid.

All those mods came pretty close to $3K out of pocket. I know, I know...for some folks that is too expensive and I feel your pain. I've turned my back on mods in the past as I didn't have the werewithal to make the purchase. But I tell ya...this was the best $3K I've ever spent in mods on one vehicle.

Around town mileage didn't improve much at all. But once it hits the highway, unloaded, I'm seeing between 2.25 to 3.75 MPG improvements when keeping to the freeway speed limit of 65 MPH. If I increase speed I see that improvement almost vanish.

So do I recommend it? Yes I do but with the caveat that it 1) is expensive and 2) it will void portions of your warranty.

YMMV.

20170331_152443_zpsbantthtc.jpg

20170705_090402_zpso0xr10yg.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A deleted and tuned diesel is the only diesel worth having in my book. The Cummins is a great motor and its arguably the best Diesel motor thru all generations. Its a damn shame what they are doing to them now and choking them.

Nice list of mods. Thank you for sharing your experience.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Nice md, Thanks for sharing all that. I'm glad to hear she's runnung3 well for you now.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I do like that color more and more everytime I see it. That truck would look awesome with a 32’ cattle trailer hooked up and some mud on them tires. Bring it to me:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do like that color more and more everytime I see it. That truck would look awesome with a 32’ cattle trailer hooked up and some mud on them tires. Bring it to me:Big Laugh:

Nope.... :D

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
You know it's kind of sad that's what we have to do in order to get a good running engine out of these diesels. I'm not saying EVERYONE has to delete their trucks but my experience was very similar to your's when I had to delete my 2010.

I was cheap though and bought a Mini Maxx tuner with just the delete pipe. Ran me about 1k.

My question to you though.. do you know what exactly was voided with your warranty? All power train including drive axles? Or was it just engine and transmission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While my truck runs great and I am not about to give up my warranty I do have deleting in the back of my mind when the warranty is gone and "if" I start having emission issues. Have to be honest though, reading over on CF there are a lot of people having issues with deleted trucks lately. Not just breaking stuff, just weird issues, throwing codes, makes me wonder if they really have unlocking and tuning of these newer trucks figured out? At this point I would say the deleted trucks with issues far out number the stock ones from what I am seeing.

Did you pursue with FCA over the issues, open up a case with them or try to Lemon law it? If you are having legitimate issues and it is under warranty they can't just say tough luck.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You know it's kind of sad that's what we have to do in order to get a good running engine out of these diesels. I'm not saying EVERYONE has to delete their trucks but my experience was very similar to your's when I had to delete my 2010.

I was cheap though and bought a Mini Maxx tuner with just the delete pipe. Ran me about 1k.

My question to you though.. do you know what exactly was voided with your warranty? All power train including drive axles? Or was it just engine and transmission.

Yeah, it's what some of us have had to do.

No, I do not know what exactly was voided on my warranty but I suspect if I have a computer, drivetrain (engine, trans, differential, turbo, injectors, pump, etc...) they will try to void it.

That's OK...I am prepared to cuss and discuss each point of contention if it comes to that with the wording of the Magnuson-Moss Act firmly in mind.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While my truck runs great and I am not about to give up my warranty I do have deleting in the back of my mind when the warranty is gone and "if" I start having emission issues. Have to be honest though, reading over on CF there are a lot of people having issues with deleted trucks lately. Not just breaking stuff, just weird issues, throwing codes, makes me wonder if they really have unlocking and tuning of these newer trucks figured out? At this point I would say the deleted trucks with issues far out number the stock ones from what I am seeing.

Did you pursue with FCA over the issues, open up a case with them or try to Lemon law it? If you are having legitimate issues and it is under warranty they can't just say tough luck.

As I stated in post #1, I am having no problems with any weird issues, codes, etc... more than a year later. I felt good about my choices in parts and tuning, plus the additional mods I made, based on input from friends and their real world experiences. I believe they do have a good handle on what it takes but the smart owner will do their research before they just jump into a full delete.

I lost my patience with the truck after being stranded by the side of the road a second time and with the noncommital responses I was getting from different dealers on the same subject. So, understanding what I may be risking with respects to warranty service, the benefits appeared to outweigh chasing FCA over the issues and I threw caution to the wind and went forward with my plans.

Would I do it again? Yup, I sure would because it has worked well for me.

On a side note, the last time I was in for service the tech noted on the dealer's copy of the service ticket all the missing OEM parts and aftermarket parts that were installed. LOL...

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Truck looks awesome. [emoji1362]

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I deleted at around 30k. I wasn't having any issues, just wanted it done. Spent about $2k on the EFI from Hardway, CT2, exhaust w/ muffler and resonator to intall myself. Did the math on 2 mpg better and figured the delete would pay for itself in about 65-70k miles. Ended up getting 2.5 mpg better and it paid for itself sooner then that. Although EVIC did not how as big a difference as my hand calculated numbers did. EVIC only showed a 1 mpg improvement.

The warranty didn't matter. I am well past it now and didn't even need it.

Anyone want to take a wild guess when I deleted based on my mileage?

deleted mileage.PNG

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A deleted and tuned diesel is the only diesel worth having in my book. The Cummins is a great motor and its arguably the best Diesel motor thru all generations. Its a damn shame what they are doing to them now and choking them.

This!
Damn emissions are killing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I like the option I have of dumping the emissions equipment if it becomes costly to fix, to date I have had no issues at all with the truck. I'm under warranty for now so I will do nothing but keep the option open.

My biggest concern, and maybe the OP can answer, if I go the route your did am I going to make black smoke? We all know what NOX does to the lung tissue once inhaled and I have grandchildren.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
if I go the route your did am I going to make black smoke? We all know what NOX does to the lung tissue once inhaled and I have grandchildren.

That will all depend on the tune you are using or how good a job the person that wrote the tunes did. A good tune shouldn't smoke. If you do go down that road of deleting just do the research and contact different tuners to tell them what you are looking for.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My biggest concern, and maybe the OP can answer, if I go the route your did am I going to make black smoke? We all know what NOX does to the lung tissue once inhaled and I have grandchildren.

No, you won't be making loads of black smoke with EFI Live. Their tunes, even #4, are pretty clean.

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are no emission testing for inspections in your state? I own a 6.4 Hemi now, I love it. However, if it were possible to get a diesel here in MA, delete all emissions...I would trade my truck in for a brand new cummins in a heartbeat. You used to be able to fool the inspections, but now you have to plug everything in and use a sniffer. Best part...............it is all on camera now, the moment you start the inspection.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Diesel engines are exempt from emissions in the state. Emissions testing of gas powered passenger vehicles is limited to the larger population centers, mainly located in 3 NW counties.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deleting my ‘10 CTD was the best thing i ever did! Ran like a champ, picked up 100 hp & about 300 ft/lbs, would not smoke a bit even when i tried and picked up an honest 3 mpg across the board (hand calculted)

Still trying to figure out why i EVER traded that thing in, sure do miss her!

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Cool. Well executed plan. I wish a deleted diesel was even an option in MA but it just isn't.....friggin emission testing every year on everything.

I feel for my friends that have modern diesels and to be able to recover their investment they need/plan to run them well past the warranty period. Lot of stuff to deal with, especially in cold climates.

That being said, many are running Powerstrokes with a few Cummins mixed in. For the longest time in northern VT there wasnt a Ram dealer but a large Ford and large GM dealer. I expect to see more Cummins around, and I have seen more Rams popping up now. The Ford guys were the ones having the most issues early on in the 6.7 lifecycle. It was usually an emissions system or fuel system issue, DEF heaters on Fords are like disposable $1400 systems.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I feel for my friends that have modern diesels and to be able to recover their investment they need/plan to run them well past the warranty period. Lot of stuff to deal with, especially in cold climates.

Recover investment? What do you mean by that? Also what kind of stuff do they deal with in the cold? Lived in Colorado for the past 10 years and didn't have any issues at all.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45