Only 6.5 mpg towing enclosed trailer (only 3,700lbs)!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike 67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I knew my '19 Ram with the 5.7 (non etorque) and 3.21 gears would deliver worse mpg compared to my old 07 GMC Duramax. But holy cow, I just got 6.5 mpg pulling my enclosed v nose trailer! The trailer with snowmobiles only weigh about 3,700 lbs. I would normally get 11-12ish mpg with my Duramax. On the freeway I set the cruise at 75 (just like I would with my Duramax).

The truck only has about 5K miles on her now. Hope it loosens up and the mpg improves.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That really sucks.....how about going 65mph?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slower speed may help. 75 mph is a lot of drag and that’ll kill your gas mileage on a gas engine

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I knew my '19 Ram with the 5.7 (non etorque) and 3.21 gears would deliver worse mpg compared to my old 07 GMC Duramax. But holy cow, I just got 6.5 mpg pulling my enclosed v nose trailer! The trailer with snowmobiles only weigh about 3,700 lbs. I would normally get 11-12ish mpg with my Duramax. On the freeway I set the cruise at 75 (just like I would with my Duramax).

The truck only has about 5K miles on her now. Hope it loosens up and the mpg improves.
Two points
1. It is the wind resistance not the weight.
2. Your tt tires are probably only rated for 65 mph. Can you say blow our.

OP
OP
M

Mike 67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tires I'm running are large tires and have a speed rating of 81mph. Not worried about a blow out. Never had one in the 10+ years owning this trailer.
I know lowering the speed would help. Just didn't want to hold up the rest of the guys caravanning in our group.
The trip home (without trailer) I ran the same 75mph and got just under 18mpg. I just expected/hoped for better mpg than I'm getting.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're comparing a diesel to a gas pulling a slightly more aerodynamic brick down the highway at high speeds, what exactly did you expect?
I don't think you can really complain about it after you admit to going 75mph with the thing.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Different trucks but I had a new 2007 1500 4.7 with 3.92s and towed my 14x7 enclosed trailer from Pittsburgh to New Castle, Indiana. It weighed about 3500lbs. I averaged about 7 MPG. The trailer was like a brick cutting through the air

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds about right for the speeds your pulling w a gas truck. You might get a hair better w 3.92 gear since your torque multiplied is better but your using a lot of horsepower to cut the wind and not the weight. Hills and wind will definitely kill mpg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You can't speed and then ***** about fuel economy. Air drag goes up with the square of your speed. At 80 MPH it is 4 times as great as at 40 MPH. I have an SUV that gets 40 MPG at 45 MPH and 35 MPG at 50 MPH and 22 MPG at 70 MPH. The variable is how fast I drive.

If I am driving 100 miles at 65 MPH it takes me 92 minutes to reach my destination. At 75 MPH it takes me 80 minutes or 12 minutes longer. Most of the time it really does not matter if I get someplace 12 minutes sooner and I can also leave 12 minutes sooner and drive at 65 MPH to achieve the same result.

I would also question whether having 3.21 gears is not part of the problem. Gas engines usually provide peak torque at around 3400 RPMs and lose efficiency at much lower RPMs. My Duramax is happy at 1700 RPM with or without a tow load and provides the best overall fuel economy. Not a good idea to buy the 5.7L V-8 if fuel economy is important and all you tow is a 3700 lb load.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
stock truck height?
stock tires?

I pull my 20ft Lund Boat, about 3K or so, 75-80 miles per hour, all day long and get about 10-11 mpgwith my 3:92

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cold dense air will cut into the mpg also.
Any wind? A wind coming from the front side will knock several mpg off of my truck - up to 8 mpg if the direction is right and a fair wind.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea. get used to the mileage. gas trucks suck for towing vs diesels...fact no one can dispute.

I towed my 7 x 14 empty and was able to pull down 10mpg but took it easy. 65 or so. my old diesel drw wouldn't even know it was back there and got 12 or so. avg 14 or 15 empty.

gas trucks have their place. if you tow infrequently just take the lumps and enjoy the truck when not towing b indont tow much anymore which is why I switched to gas and lighter truck.

good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even diesels are not immune to the effects of wind resistance. Towing the same 24' enclosed car hauler (about 3K lbs) in calm conditions I'll get 15-16 mpg. Towing that trailer on the same route, same speed(55-65) in high wind conditions the mpg dropped to about 12 mpg. My boat is about the same weight as the trailer and I'll get about 20. A truck has the aerodynamics of a cinder block, when your towing it's now two cinder blocks high.
Comparing a Hemi to any of the 3/4-1 ton truck diesel engines for towing is absurd as they all have significantly a lot more torque, that's what pulls a trailer.

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
snow mobile trailers are not that tall, a boat has even less resistance, i would be disappointed with 7mpg

It may be the hemi only has highway efficiency in 4 cylinder mode the small added drag of a snow mobile trailer takes it out of the efficiency range .

Once 5.7 engine has a load on it running at maximum torque output at given cruise rpm engine may be going full rich and is pulling back timing to avoid pre-ignition.

A pent roof combustion chamber 4-valve with continuously variable intake and exhaust cam timing can still maintain a leaner mixture and not retard timing so much under high torque loading (i wonder how the RAM v6 would do pulling same trailer).

I learned this with my 1989 Taurus SHO, the Yamaha 3.0 v6 would pull a 21 foot boat up the steepest hills on 94 going 80+ (when i was young and stupid) in top gear without slowing down, it even had decent acceleration left.

At the time my 1997 f150 with 4,6 v8 would drop out of overdrive and feel sluggish at only 70 going up same hills slightest attempt to accelerate would downshift to 3rd gear

The Hemi is a push rod 2 valve engine which once one lays into the throttle cannot hang with a 4 valve engine efficiency wise.

I found that with the Tundra 5.7 if i set the cruise control at 80 it never dropped below 15 mpg ( a lot of hills and head wind closer to 13mpg)

A cop wanted to buy my Tundra because he cruises at 85 mph any GM gasser he drove never got above 11 mpg at that speed.

very happy with my 6.7 2wd though have yet to see less than 22 mpg at 75 cruise

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even diesels are not immune to the effects of wind resistance. Towing the same 24' enclosed car hauler (about 3K lbs) in calm conditions I'll get 15-16 mpg. Towing that trailer on the same route, same speed(55-65) in high wind conditions the mpg dropped to about 12 mpg. My boat is about the same weight as the trailer and I'll get about 20. A truck has the aerodynamics of a cinder block, when your towing it's now two cinder blocks high.
Comparing a Hemi to any of the 3/4-1 ton truck diesel engines for towing is absurd as they all have significantly a lot more torque, that's what pulls a trailer.

I'm sorry but respectfully - there is no way you get 15mpg towing a 24' enclosed trailer with a hemi/gas truck. Not happening. Maybe you are talking about what the lie-o-meter is telling you at a specific point in time going down hill, but average over 100 or even 50 miles...no way. And getting 20 with a boat (I don't care the size) ... ???? Really?????

Again - not trying to start a flame war but I don't see it, and it wouldn't be fair for others to read this and believe they should be getting the same. Many have a hard time achieving that mileage empty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm sorry but respectfully - there is no way you get 15mpg towing a 24' enclosed trailer with a hemi/gas truck. Not happening.
If your reread the first line of my post it states "even diesels are not immune". That should have given you the tip off that I don't have a Hemi and my profile shows I drive a '15 EcoDiesel.
I make a trip(actually two trips) delivering a 28' enclosed that weighs about 8K lbs(actual) that is 500 miles total, half of which I'm towing and the other half just driving. If I ran the 26 gallons tank till I'm practically on fumes I could make it with one tank. I won't run the tank that low on purpose, unlike a gasser bad things can happen with a HPFP running them dry.

Last edited:

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your reread the first line of my post it states "even diesels are not immune". That should have given you the tip off that I don't have a Hemi and my profile shows I drive a '15 EcoDiesel.
I make a trip(actually two trips) delivering a 28' enclosed that weighs about 8K lbs(actual) that is 500 miles total, half of which I'm towing and the other half just driving. If I ran the 26 gallons tank till I'm practically on fumes I could make it with one tank. I won't run the tank that low on purpose, unlike a gasser bad things can happen with a HPFP running them dry.

My apologies. I thought you were referring to my comments on diesels vs. hemi (I6 cummins not v6). I didn't see your truck specs in your signature so didn't know you have the diesel 1500. Well, then your mileage numbers make more sense. :)

I thought about doing the diesel option on my 1500 but it wasn't available at the time. Although somewhat sad as my last 3 trucks were 3500 DRW diesels I do like the lighter frame, and sportier driving characteristic on the gas motor. My towing needs have drastically changes also (pulled a 43' fifth wheel toy hauler).

Wife had the 3.0 diesel in her Audi Q7 (similar motor/specs to the Ram variant) and it was a great car. Mileage was awesome and it drove sporty. Audi bought the car back during the emission scandal and we purchased a new Q7 with the gas motor. She hates it and wants her diesel back, and if you would have seen what I had to go through to convince her into a diesel motor in the first place you'd laugh.

Again - thanks for clarifying.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To OP - my suggestion is to run a few tanks of 93 before your next tow. I used to run 87/91 but since I switched to 93 the truck runs very different. Difference was not right away either but after 2 or 3 tanks it was noticeable even under light throttle acceleration. IMO, the ECM will stop pulling timing because of knock especially under load and you'll see efficiency increase. If you are near sea level, warm/hot air temps and towing ---- run higher octane. If high altitude, cooler air temps and not towing - lower octane.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I usually get 8.5-10 pulling our 6000# travel trailer. usually set cruise at 68-69, maybe 70 if pretty flat road.