Operating aftermarket KC lights with high beams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voiceguysc47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 Ram 1500 4.7 4x4 (Tradesman). I installed a set of KC ligts on my brush guard a while back. I love them, but I'd like to re-wire them to operate with the high beams (while on back roads and hunting plot) and also operate independently. My original plan was to install a 3 way switch and a "fuse jumper" to the high beam fuse. Then I find out Rams don't have high beam fuses. Anyone have experience with this? What's the best way to wire this?
Thanks!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me.
You have them wired to a switch now, just click them on If needed with high beams.
Tapping into the truck's wiring might send the computer into a frenzy of error codes.
If it ain't broke...

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a relay and have the signal come off your high beam wire.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done this. Just got a T-tap and weatherproof rubber tape and tapped into the high beam wire a foot behind the lamp itself. I was able to reach up and get this from under the truck on the driver side very easily.

This just triggers a relay which then powers on the driving lamps. Obvious benefit here is that the driving lamps turn off in a single motion when I dip to low beam headlights for approaching traffic. Very intuitive and since my aux driving lamps are SAE pattern it's not even really necessary to have them on a separate override switch.

Another option is 4thgenramelectronics.com sells upfitter switches that are very nice.

OP
OP
voiceguysc47

voiceguysc47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I'm thinking, Kurek. No problems with the TIPM or throwing error codes with this wiring? I mean, you're only pulling enough off that high beam wire to trigger the relay, right?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has caused no problems. Two relays from two sets of PIAA 410 lamps

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
2013 Ram 1500 4.7 4x4 (Tradesman). I installed a set of KC ligts on my brush guard a while back. I love them, but I'd like to re-wire them to operate with the high beams (while on back roads and hunting plot) and also operate independently. My original plan was to install a 3 way switch and a "fuse jumper" to the high beam fuse. Then I find out Rams don't have high beam fuses. Anyone have experience with this? What's the best way to wire this?
Thanks!
You could install the factory fog switch and wiring to run them, then use alpha to turn on Babi mode to get them on with the high beams.

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got 2 light bars wired like that, kind of. I have a 3 position switch on the driver side console and relay. Have a 12 volt constant to one side of switch and high beam trigger from driver side headlight to other side. Middle post is the trigger wire for the relay. Works flawless