Opinions on 19 Speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Technically speaking the Maestro product should be better than the PAC product. Historically that has been the case with the canbus interfacing. That being said I had the AP4 in my F150 and didn't have any real issues with it. You just have more options (even ignoring the built in DSP) with the Maestro and their engineering team is extremely responsive to getting out firmware updates.

My truck is kind of the guinea pig for all of your guys' which I'm fine with I guess it had to be someone. I talked to a tech today and he's confident that we can get all of the issues ironed out.

I agree. However the PAC stuff works pretty damn well, it just doesn't interface as deeply. They also keep their hands in a broader range of cars, as well as offer more solutions besides audio. They are def the only interface pieces they people should be using though, the Metra stuff is trash. I am glad you are being the innovator of this though, getting it done quick!

@DRkNESS My thoughts were the same, once I get the dash off bezel off and figure out any issues, I will text him and see if he wants me to link up with engineering. If this is the case, whatever issues they can figure out for the BCI can probably be applied to the AP4.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s what I was thinking as that unit has been a go to staple for awhile in the audio world. Seeing as my sub arrived the other day, all I’m in need of is a unit such as this to get my party started.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to have a local shop troubleshoot it with Maestro tomorrow and Thursday so hopefully we have near-resolution this week. Truck getting it's Ceramic coating today. I feel like I haven't hardly had my own truck :(

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s the hardest part about adding / taking things away build wise. We seem to spend more time with them shop wise then ride wise.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to have a local shop troubleshoot it with Maestro tomorrow and Thursday so hopefully we have near-resolution this week. Truck getting it's Ceramic coating today. I feel like I haven't hardly had my own truck :(

Are you close to their HQ? I know they are Canada, but no idea where.

Anyways I agree - I left my truck for 3 days to get paint correction / ceramic / 3M / tint last week. Loving the ceramic so far.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good deal and I know that you’ll be ecstatic when they deliver it back to you. I’m sure it will really make you happy. [emoji2]

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it turns out the bulk of issues were actually the Rockford DSP portion of the DSR1 causing issues, not the Maestro integration. I guess Rockford recently pushed out a software updated which borked a lot of the basic functionality of the DSR 1. It was flashed to an older firmware and the bulk of stuff work like it should (apparently; I have no reason to not believe the shop working on it, but I haven't gotten the truck back yet. Just wanted to update you guys asap). The primary reason I went with the DSR1 over the AR (just the simple integration piece) is I already had a Mosconi 6to8 which gives me 8 output channels and I needed 9. The DSR1 comes with it's own DSP so I can use that for the sub outputs without replacing my 6to8v8.

That being said if I were to do it again I'd probably go with the Maestro AR and the Mosconi 8to12. Since I have no real interest of using the Rockford DSP for tuning, it just removes an extra vendor in the process should I run into issues with the integration.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well that’s good news and puts you a couple of steps closer to your goal. For my dsp I’ll be using my Helix Pro & The Director controller7438c632c4e49b120a2976b1ddaf17ad.jpg.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it turns out the bulk of issues were actually the Rockford DSP portion of the DSR1 causing issues, not the Maestro integration. I guess Rockford recently pushed out a software updated which borked a lot of the basic functionality of the DSR 1. It was flashed to an older firmware and the bulk of stuff work like it should (apparently; I have no reason to not believe the shop working on it, but I haven't gotten the truck back yet. Just wanted to update you guys asap). The primary reason I went with the DSR1 over the AR (just the simple integration piece) is I already had a Mosconi 6to8 which gives me 8 output channels and I needed 9. The DSR1 comes with it's own DSP so I can use that for the sub outputs without replacing my 6to8v8.

That being said if I were to do it again I'd probably go with the Maestro AR and the Mosconi 8to12. Since I have no real interest of using the Rockford DSP for tuning, it just removes an extra vendor in the process should I run into issues with the integration.

Doesn't surprise, Maestro is top notch. Full 3-way active front, two rears + sub?

If you do it again - I would go AP4 with optical to the 8to12. To the best of my knowledge the AR only works with Kenwood and Audison amps right now.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious how long it will take the AP4 to catch up. I'm confident the DSR1 will be just as good, if not better, than the AP4 could be but considering I do everything via my Mosconi I don't know if I really care what features it has. The nice thing about the DSR1 is that I get every channel flat, not just a summed (well the center is summed between front left and front right but who cares about the center channel) so I can continue using the "surround" features if I want. Though I think I'd prefer full system attenuation for notifications/prompts/etc over that front left situation these RAMs have going on.

One drawback that I'm already aware of is the front and rear sensors don't attenuate the music when they are triggered. Maestro is aware but not sure when we'll be seeing a fix on that. Since I turn down music 99% of the time when I'm getting close to my destination it's not the biggest deal but still kind of annoying.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AP4 will do everything the DSR1 does minus DSP..... both will give you a true flat signal. The AP4 actually gives you some options the DSR1 doesn't offer, but nothing worth noting IMO (besides TOSLINK). Pac doesn't offer DSP, so the product as it, is pretty much in it's final form. The DSR1 just happens to be a great value, while the AP4 is competivley priced.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AP4 will do everything the DSR1 does minus DSP..... both will give you a true flat signal. The AP4 actually gives you some options the DSR1 doesn't offer, but nothing worth noting IMO (besides TOSLINK). Pac doesn't offer DSP, so the product as it, is pretty much in it's final form. The DSR1 just happens to be a great value, while the AP4 is competivley priced.

The AP4 has very limited configuration vs the DSR1 (even ignoring the DSP). Granted the AP4 in it's default configuration is generally considered "good enough". Curious what extra features you've seen?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AP4 has very limited configuration vs the DSR1 (even ignoring the DSP). Granted the AP4 in it's default configuration is generally considered "good enough". Curious what extra features you've seen?

Sorry, just looked it up and got confused with the BCI, which allows you to change your SWC and create EQ presets based on specific buttons, or radio options. I will have to retract my statement since the only thing AP4 offers is optical. I have yet to install a DSR1. We have installed a few of the AP4s. Too bad they don't offer a BCI/AP4 combined unit - now that would be killer.

Last edited:

Richard Hickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’ve seen on another forum those who have got their truck already weren’t overly impressed with the upgraded 19 speaker sound system. I ordered my Limited with it and am just waiting on production until I get my truck.

Any opinions from anyone who either has listened to the new sound system or has it in their truck? Impressed by the quality or not so much?
Quality is ok not happy with sound loudness. need to upgrade amp. Alpine in my 16 was better

Richard Hickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I purchased my 2019 with the 19 speaker HK system. I was expecting something way more awesome than what I got. It does not get loud, huge difference between Aux, XM, FM, and Bluetooth. XM being the worse (volumn and sound quality). I even took the truck to the dealership, they had it for a week, just to tell me there is nothing wrong. I have installed stereos for many years and it seriously sounds like there is no amp. The 10" sub might as well not even be there. Whats worse is if you do a side by side comparison to the 9 speaker in the Laramie, the Laramie will drown out my 19 speaker set-up in every way. I am very disappointed.

Has anyone else had this issue and spoke to anyone about it? Looking to see what to do next.
Same here my alpine in my 16 was way better. need to find a better amp or a way to turn this one up.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, you all have me scared now with this thread.

I ordered a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with the Harman Kardon 19 speaker system. I listened to it fleetingly at the dealer on my test drive.

The source that I used was compressed Sirius radio. I thought it sounded veery accurate with very punchy bass.

I am a bass-a-holic. I love lots of deep chest pounding bass.

I really hope that I am not disappointed by this system.

I had previously ordered a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, with an Alpine system. That system sounded fantastic. I told the dealer that I changed my mind and wanted a Ram truck instead. I hope I don't regret that decision.

Audio systems are very important to me. At home I use old Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 preamp and power amp system with 4 HPM 100 speakers. An awesome sounding system.

I'm afraid now, that every tim I get in my new truck, I will lack deep bass.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, you all have me scared now with this thread.

I ordered a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with the Harman Kardon 19 speaker system. I listened to it fleetingly at the dealer on my test drive.

The source that I used was compressed Sirius radio. I thought it sounded veery accurate with very punchy bass.

I am a bass-a-holic. I love lots of deep chest pounding bass.

I really hope that I am not disappointed by this system.

I had previously ordered a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, with an Alpine system. That system sounded fantastic. I told the dealer that I changed my mind and wanted a Ram truck instead. I hope I don't regret that decision.

Audio systems are very important to me. At home I use old Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 preamp and power amp system with 4 HPM 100 speakers. An awesome sounding system.

I'm afraid now, that every tim I get in my new truck, I will lack deep bass.

You'll have plenty of bass. I keep mine at -4 in fact and still pretty bassy