Opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A TSB is intended to provide a workaround to known defects or weaknesses in a product. Considering how long the 4th Gens have been in production, this is a known issue. I am a software engineer and I deal with debugging, isolating and documenting known issues on a daily basis. There is no doubt in my mind that they are aware of this weakness and should provide a TSB to eliminate service hassles for the customer. A TSB is simply a way to document how to resolve an issue and mitigate future occurrences for a customer once they experience it.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

A known issue to whom? I've scoured these sites, this and the other one, for the last 9 years over the ownership of two 4th Gens and this is the first occurrence I've heard of a block of ice dislodging a connector under the chassis. Third brake light, yes, there should have been something long ago but this, don't think a one off warrants raising a flag and pulling vehicles in for a replacement connector.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
A known issue to whom? I've scoured these sites, this and the other one, for the last 9 years over the ownership of two 4th Gens and this is the first occurrence I've heard of a block of ice dislodging a connector under the chassis. Third brake light, yes, there should have been something long ago but this, don't think a one off warrants raising a flag and pulling vehicles in for a replacement connector.
I have only had my Ram since the end of Nov last year and have seen mention of this connector having issues with exposure a few times. It is a vulnerability that they must be aware of.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
O/P please take a picture of the connector and location so we can understand this a bit better.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is certainly possible, but if one dealer had thousands of them with the issue, I would have to think it was a recall.

Not one dealer ford

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Wasn't like I was off roading. I was driving down the freeway. Hit some slush and ice. Pretty normal stuff on the road when its snowing/melting althouogh it was a deep hydroplaning puddle. !

In Florida, we often encounter deep puddles after the normal afternoon downpours. Sometimes people get into them and suck water in the intake. Engines get flooded. No warranty coverage.

I understand your frustration....You didn't do it intentionally, hence, it's not your fault. But, the manufacturer warrants it's products against defects, and smashing into a chunk of ice on the road certainly doesn't fall under that scenario. Neither is driving off a cliff....Both risks that are covered by insurance.

You have a $1K deduct, because you have elected to assume some of that risk. Assume it.....

Advice: Get a lower deduct and assume less risk, avoid driving hazards, and learn from this.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
In Florida, we often encounter deep puddles after the normal afternoon downpours. Sometimes people get into them and suck water in the intake. Engines get flooded. No warranty coverage.

I understand your frustration....You didn't do it intentionally, hence, it's not your fault. But, the manufacturer warrants it's products against defects, and smashing into a chunk of ice on the road certainly doesn't fall under that scenario. Neither is driving off a cliff....Both risks that are covered by insurance.

You have a $1K deduct, because you have elected to assume some of that risk. Assume it.....

Advice: Get a lower deduct and assume less risk, avoid driving hazards, and learn from this.
I agree in principle, however. If he ran over a boulder and scraped the underside of his truck that would be one thing. But, especially considering where FCA HQ is located, driving through slushy road conditions should not have resulted in what happened here. Again, it is ridiculous to suggest driving in slush is an acceptable way for this connector to be vulnerable. It should be protected from such a minor exposure.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
a minor exposure.

"Minor", as described by him. He also said he had water in his airbox.

One of the first things I did was check the airbox and sure as heck it had water in it.

I understand your opinion. respectfully, there are two sides to every story. Only the dealer and the OP know what really happened.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have only had my Ram since the end of Nov last year and have seen mention of this connector having issues with exposure a few times. It is a vulnerability that they must be aware of.

I’ve been a FCA tech for over 10 years and since they started using that connector under the driver floor board I’ve never seen one come loose from an impact or get water inside the connector. I’ve never seen it mentioned on this site either except in this post.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I’ve been a FCA tech for over 10 years and since they started using that connector under the driver floor board I’ve never seen one come loose from an impact or get water inside the connector. I’ve never seen it mentioned on this site either except in this post.
Funny how I have seen mention of it a few times, in such a short time then.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Even if you have, a few times doesn’t exactly make it a common issue, considering how many trucks are out there. If it truly was a common issue that needed attention I would have come across it or heard about it from other techs and other dealers, as well as on this forum.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Even if you have, a few times doesn’t exactly make it a common issue, considering how many trucks are out there. If it truly was a common issue that needed attention I would have come across it or heard about it from other techs and other dealers, as well as on this forum.
I would imagine the odds of occurrence are highly dependent on operating environment. Much like the frozen door handles on the F150.

Regardless, I don't see how a connection of this importance is fully exposed to road debris in the first place. I would think a simple plate would protect it from happening in the first place.

Anything we glean from forums or personal experience are anecdotal anyhow. Only FCA knows for sure how rare this is or isn't I am just concerned because this is my first Ram and something like this worries me over the long haul. I could be overreacting for sure.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would imagine the odds of occurrence are highly dependent on operating environment. Much like the frozen door handles on the F150.

Regardless, I don't see how a connection of this importance is fully exposed to road debris in the first place. I would think a simple plate would protect it from happening in the first place.

Anything we glean from forums or personal experience are anecdotal anyhow. Only FCA knows for sure how rare this is or isn't I am just concerned because this is my first Ram and something like this worries me over the long haul. I could be overreacting for sure.

I wouldn’t be worried, it’s not like the connector is 100% exposed. It is somewhat protected by a metal bracket.

OP
OP
Ramaniac

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I might tell you guys it wasn’t a minor patch of snow and ice. It was a lane that hadn’t been plowed recently and had 3-4 inches of heavy melting snow. There was a Bolt Bus (crazy drivers) had just entered said lane and was blowing a path and I entered it @ 50 mph. It was like driving into 4” of water at that speed. I had no business in that lane other than well I’m a crazy driver too and quickly realized a 3ton truck has no business in a place where the 20 ton bus shouldn’t have been in the first place. This was the hammer lane on the freeway that had a bit of travel at one point but definitely wasn’t clear. The lane in question had been clean and wet on a couple sections of the freeway. This was an area where there had obviously been a lot more snow at one point or the plow hadn’t made it there. Not your everyday driving experience. Regardless I love this Ram and will continue to drive it. Thanks for your input. It appears we have mixed feelings on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramaniac

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
O/P please take a picture of the connector and location so we can understand this a bit better.

I was busy today I will get it for you tomorrow. Promise !

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You say you've seen the same problem noted a number of times. If that is the case, it would be a much stronger case if you actually provided links to that information.

I'll play devils advocate, drivers are supposed to drive in accordance to the weather and highway conditions. if you had been driving slower and moved into another lane to avoid the slush would your issue most likely not have happened.

The point being the dealer had a reasonable argument as to why they didn't think it was a warranty problem. Since you don't agree with them your next step would be to push it higher. Who knows, for such a low cost it might be decided by corporate to reimburse you in an act consumer relations.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
You say you've seen the same problem noted a number of times. If that is the case, it would be a much stronger case if you actually provided links to that information.

I'll play devils advocate, drivers are supposed to drive in accordance to the weather and highway conditions. if you had been driving slower and moved into another lane to avoid the slush would your issue most likely not have happened.

The point being the dealer had a reasonable argument as to why they didn't think it was a warranty problem. Since you don't agree with them your next step would be to push it higher. Who knows, for such a low cost it might be decided by corporate to reimburse you in an act consumer relations.
I wasn't driving at all. This is not my post. But in the short time I have been on this site this is the third time I have seen a post about this connector having issues. I am not going to try and find the threads because it isn't that important to me. The other threads I saw were where they had electrical issues with the dash and ignition and found this plug was corroded/wet.

I would not respect a dealer who points fingers at the customer about something that shouldn't be a problem at all. Having said that, the OP has already added more details around what happened and clearly felt he was partially to blame for the problem.

I grew up in Michigan and have had similar situations as the OP and have never had something as stupid as a body harness come loose. I still feel this is either a poorly placed connector or poorly designed connector. Just how big of a problem it is seems unclear. It is just surprising that a truck underbody is potentially this fragile.

Also, if you don't drive at all this wouldn't have happened either. Without pictures of any damage, it is a mystery exactly why it happened. So, by your logic, don't drive your truck as a truck? What if it happened from driving on a gravel road or through mud? I have run through plenty of messy situations with the Ford trucks I have had and never had to worry about anything like this.

If there is no physical damage to the plug, in my opinion it wasn't his fault. If the plug is crushed or damaged that would be a different story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramaniac

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Pictures as promised. There’s actually 2 of the same type connectors directly under the front part of the drivers seat under the truck on the outside of the frame rail. 1st pic is of both connectors 2nd is a close up of the suspect connector. IMG_5415.jpgIMG_5417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't driving at all. This is not my post.

That was understood, I was just using the situation regardless of driver.

But in the short time I have been on this site this is the third time I have seen a post about this connector having issues. I am not going to try and find the threads because it isn't that important to me.

When making a point that you saw the same issue a number of times in the forum it is best to provide back up.

The other threads I saw were where they had electrical issues with the dash and ignition and found this plug was corroded/wet.

Again see above.

Also, if you don't drive at all this wouldn't have happened either.

And if cows had wings they could fly. ;)