OPT7 lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do hid's fit behind your dust caps? I guess I would look at it as with either you will have to drill the dust cap.
I just left home cheapo and went to their plumbing isle. Have you thought about getting or fabricating a new dust cover from either pvc or rubber?
I grabbed some different size end caps to see how they would work so we can keep our dust caps in tact and use one made for hid's or led's.
I'll post back on my success so others can do it.

Yes, I have the HID kit from The Retro Shop (Jeremy). I've been running it over a year now and they fit just fine. I never wanted to mess with the dust cap because it doesn't just keep "dust" out, but also water and condensation. The projectors are famous for getting condensation down by the amber LED turn signals and I would have to guess you risk making that possibility much more likely if you start fabricating things.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have the HID kit from The Retro Shop (Jeremy). I've been running it over a year now and they fit just fine. I never wanted to mess with the dust cap because it doesn't just keep "dust" out, but also water and condensation. The projectors are famous for getting condensation down by the amber LED turn signals and I would have to guess you risk making that possibility much more likely if you start fabricating things.

I was thinking something like these with the clamps and some permaseal for any cable openings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 110

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With something like this you have the extra length needed as well as the ability to tighten the clamp to ensure no moisture gets in. I'm going to try this when my other bulbs come in and let you know how it works out. I'm more than confident that this will keep all the moisture out...

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking something like these with the clamps and some permaseal for any cable openings

There isn't much room at all behind the headlight assemblies. I don't know how you would be able to put your headlights back on with that hanging off from the back.

Last edited:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trs sells small dome-like things to make extra room for such instances, big enough to work and should be small enough to fit properly

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's isn't much room at all behind the headlight assemblies. I don't know how you would be able to put your headlights back on with that hanging off from the back.
You need to do a projector retro fit. Meaning remove spyder projectors and get some decent morimotos then you'd achieve two tasks. Fitting bulbs and better light output. That's what I'm gonna do later on.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to have to really consider these opt7 lights. I can't stand the stock bulbs, but haven't really had any good feedback on decently priced lights.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to do a projector retro fit. Meaning remove spyder projectors and get some decent morimotos then you'd achieve two tasks. Fitting bulbs and better light output. That's what I'm gonna do later on.

Yeah, I've seen the retro fit lights. They look great, but for me they aren't worth the $. I have HIDs in my stock projectors and i think they look great. Only cost me $150.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I've seen the retro fit lights. They look great, but for me they aren't worth the $. I have HIDs in my stock projectors and i think they look great. Only cost me $150.
I may buy a set and try them on the quad headlights. Pointless until a decent zenon setup is established for the 2015 +.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been trying to look into these a little more. Are the ball of the housings exposed due to the heat sink? Tried watching some videos, and saw one (on a car) where he had to leave the dust shield off for the lights to fit. Is this a problem on the '14's and up?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've been trying to look into these a little more. Are the ball of the housings exposed due to the heat sink? Tried watching some videos, and saw one (on a car) where he had to leave the dust shield off for the lights to fit. Is this a problem on the '14's and up?

Look in the for sale section. There is a set of quads with the lights for sale with a good picture of the back. Everything fits under the dust cap in the quads with room to spare...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

On our trucks its only in projectors they dont fit behind the cap

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great! Sounds good to me!

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm interested, they actually look like they have decent output compared to the other LED headlights everyone is trying to put out. And price wise seem better then HID.

Does anyone know the full bulb list for a 2013 Ram with projectors? The low beam number I got (9012) doesn't seem to be on the Opt7 website.
9006 are almost exactly the same, when hid kits were first released they were actually 9006 bulbs for a long time

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just installed one of my new opt7 h1's in the low beam of the Spyders. The back was out there but my Home Depot purchase paid off. The 2 inch opening was a perfect and extremely snug fit. I then took the very soft and flexible dust cover and it fit snug on the 2" to 1&1/2". I then cut down the excess so everything would fit. Checked everything out and dry fitted. Then got some sealant and put it around all openings to ensure a moisture and dust free environment.
Will post pictures tomorrow after I get all my wires buttoned up. The new custom dust cover is more robust then the ones on the Spyders and I got to make them...

Reactions: jbr

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Side view pictures because head on in the camera is just a bright ball. Side shot allows you to see the halos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 105

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now they are all 6k and niceeeee. Opt7 customer service pissed me the f**k off but their products are the bomb.
I even installed their H13 in my wife's car and she also got 9005 fog lights, arc technology. Her little car is just as bright as mine but I can blind her from the back, think about that one...