Options for Fixing a Bent Trailer Hitch Receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Folks,

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 that I bought used. I recently bought a small trailer for pulling a golf cart to our hunting property.

I noticed that the hitch is angled down a bit once the trailer was hooked up...never notice before, but I imagine the previous owner bent it towing something too big or try to pull someone out of a precarious situation.

What are my options for getting this fixed...I'd love to do it myself, but the truck is not lifted and not crazy about an after market replacement that puts the hitch below the factory hitch (and not sure it would fit right given the angle.

I would used it to tow my 5x10 trailer as well as for a hitch mounted skinning pole for cleaning deer and hogs.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You could remove it and heat it but heating too much will weaken the metal.

Another option would be to press it back into level. That's gonna require an industrial press. Then you'd want to inspect it for cracks.

As long has you have it removed you might as well replace it.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I would definitely be inspecting it all over for cracks and stress fatigue before I proceeded doing anything else with it. Then you have to decide if it's usable as is or replace or repair. I would probably just replace for ease and peace of mind.

OP
OP
S

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How tough a job is it to remove? Do I need to lift the bed? Looks like it is pressed in there

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would look for a used one in a wrecking yard.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't recall if you actually need to lift the bed, but it unbolts fairly easily

s-l1600.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
All OEM Hitch Receivers are bolted in place.
I do not recommend using a bent receiver, fixing and then using a bent receiver.
Replace it. Regardless of what class receiver, it will no longer be strong enough for the weight rating, once it has been damaged.

Replacing a bent receiver is far cheaper than paying out an insurance deductible.
Let alone, living with oneself after causing harm to a loved one or any child, due to being a tightwad.

I am a Tightwad. Extreme Tightwad, if you listen to my WIfe and I recommend replacing it.

OP
OP
S

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to replace it...just wanted to ensure it could be unbolted rather than welded

OP
OP
S

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it lifted but I’m afraid the tilt may come from the frame. The bottom is angled up but top part seems to angle down. I bought a salvage replacement but any thoughts before I go through the job of putting it back on?

7CF90D53-5B42-43B3-9ADD-81F47C4A522C.jpeg

243D5FB9-F29E-4621-9525-B47B86DDB5C6.jpeg

975D2719-E3E0-4E75-A1F0-2F56B2264DA5.jpeg

102F1302-951C-41DC-BBEF-CDAAF2D3F0B0.jpeg

FB707033-FF1B-48FC-A059-EDBEEAA155B0.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone confirm if this is in fact not as normal? Anyone seen their frame lately :). My thought is to attempt to bend it back up and reinforce?

OP
OP
S

sethmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought to fit back up the new hitch, but the original was a bear to get off the truck...my thought is due to slight bend down it caused the side to flare out which makes uninstall/install more difficult. Wondering if I can try to beat it back up and reinforce it? I really don't know how to get an angle on it to beat on it....

one thought was if i could put a jack under it using some kind of "spreader" to push the top back up?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Anyone confirm if this is in fact not as normal? Anyone seen their frame lately :). My thought is to attempt to bend it back up and reinforce?
Hey SethMac, I just went out and crawled under my truck, granted it's a 1 ton, but the hitch looks the same. Near as I can tell the frame doesn't deviate up or down where the hitch slides onto it. Both top and bottom come straight out parallel to each other. Did you compare the take off with your old one to see if either one is bent? I'm thinking (dangerous) that the only thing bent is your frame ends. IF that turns out to be the case, you might try straightening them, but I would be concerned about stress cracks (Microscopic) unless I had a pro inspect it. Good luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned 2 Ford products and they had a bent receiver that in fact was the way it came from the factory, some bull about the Mfg. welding jig was off and thats what you got on your truck, I had to fight with my dealer and they made it right

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
that thing has been hit from behind or backed into something hard.
Look at the bolt hole elongation.

Bend the frame back, straight as you can, then weld up some reinforcement to the frame top and bottom and sides.
that should handle the weight, no problem.