Orange Peel Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I didn't notice my Laramie had orange peel till today in the garage with the florescent lights on. It's pretty bad. Have any of you guys tried to get anything done to correct it? From what I've read, it may take a complete paint job to correct it.

Oh my, DO NOT get involved with a complete re-paint!

#1 It would probably be a hell of a fight to get FCA to authorize a complete repaint for orange peel if there was no other catastrophic paint film failure / defect going on.

#2 Every bit of exterior trim would have to be removed including front and back glass. That would necessitate totally dismantling of all the doors of your vehicle for window trim, belt mouldings, handles, mirrors, etc. Plus R&I bumpers, lights, grille, etc. Lots of potential for broken clips, leaks, misalignment and new rattles.

#3 Excessive film build-up that could lead to premature finish failure from UV and heat. Especially on the horizontal panels due to excessive film build the from extra mils of paint applied over a factory finish. (darker colors would be the most susceptible than lighter)

#4 Over-spray in the jambs and tape lines from trying to eliminate over-spray from happening. It's going to happen even using transition tape and foam seal, so now at resale time some sharp eyed person is going to spot the repaint and think "accident".

#5 IMHO even as soft as the OE finishes are, nothing is better than a factory finish if the mil thickness is correct, the color panel matches, is uniform and un-mottled. Yup the repaint might be harder but if the base is softer it just acts like a carpet pad and allows the top coat to compress more with a stone chip and then pock mark larger after compression.

#6 Producing a "perfect" paint job is a total art form from a really super talented tech and it also involves something like a complete alignment of the planets for surface prep, top grade products, material mix, airborne and surface contaminant elimination, painter endurance and more. Plus as in #2, another tech that is really painstakingly careful in the disassembly and reassembly of the vehicle.

In the end that repaint is going to need a cut n' buff and if your OE paint has enough film to allow it the same thing in the beginning, then that is your best way for remediation of your orange peel problem without a repaint.

I have had the pleasure of spending some time with a gentleman by the name of Jon Komoski who I think is one of the best painters on the planet and one cool MF'er too. I will quote him "every paint job gets a little trash in it and no paint job comes out of the gun perfect". So what he meant was sanding and buffing is to be expected to obtain a "perfect paint finish"

Last edited:

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
likes2build, thanks for a thorough answer to my thought about a repaint. I'm sure I am not the only person that ended up with a lot of orange peel in the paint. Seems like the factory would really attempt to correct the problems. I'll just learn to live with it. Thanks again.