Ordering a 2021: Is 3% under invoice plus any factory incentives at delivery a good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not as simple as " I want that truck, and give me the best deal on it" without knowing the numbers behind it and options you want.. No dealer that I've worked with, will ever show me the invoice of any car/truck even if I begged for it. Walking out of a deal isn't a powerful tool as it used to be.

Learning a lot from this and other post...so thanks to all.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
No dealer that I've worked with, will ever show me the invoice of any car/truck even if I begged for it.

I've had the opposite experience. My dealer gladly shows me the POC (includes invoice cost). I wouldn't trust a dealer who denies me that info.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Walking out of a deal isn't a powerful tool as it used to be.

Funny you say that. I bought my wife a Cherokee in February. I told the dealer thanks but I wanted a better price and I left. 5 minutes later the salesman called and said they would meet my price. When I came back I said why did you make me leave and have to come back? He said he didn't believe I would leave. He thought I'd just go sit in my truck in the parking lot(apparently that's what most people do). He decided to check on me after a few minutes and saw that I actually left and wasn't bluffing. If my wife didn't want that exact car I would not have gone back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've walked out on dealers before. When one dealer called me a couple hours later and siad they would match I told him that ship sailed and bought somewhere else. One issue we have though is some company's own multiple dealerships so if you walk you maybe walking right into the same ownship group.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
When I ordered my truck back in may it took just under 7 weeks to delivery. The price was agreed upon. The only variable was the trade in value of my 07 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L 4x4 with under 100k miles. It had to be evaluated in real time and not 7 weeks ahead of time. So I took it to three Ford dealerships and got their trade in appraisals. Then I parked it. When my truck came in and it was time to go deal on trade value I armed myself with the best offer from the Ford dealership. Sure enough Dodge came in close but still lower than what Ford was gonna do for me. I showed them the paperwork for the Ford offer and told them that I had zero problem getting a 10-spd King Ranch. They matched it without blinking.

When you order a truck, Ram and the dealership consider it a sold truck. The dealership does not want to keep it and have it sitting on their lot.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I've walked out on dealers before. When one dealer called me a couple hours later and siad they would match I told him that ship sailed and bought somewhere else. One issue we have though is some company's own multiple dealerships so if you walk you maybe walking right into the same ownship group.

I was shopping for a Shelby GT350R. Most dealerships had stupid markup on them called ADM's. Seriously, Grapevine Ford (about 8 miles away from me) had a $30k markup on one I was looking at but said they could drop to $20k over MSRP for me if I buy today yadda yadda... I was beginning to think that I was going to have to fly out and pick one up for sticker somewhere. Well I was patient and found my R 20 miles away from me at Grand Prairie Ford for exactly $100 under MSRP. If you know anything about GT350R's then you know that's a crazy deal because they are all marked up. Especially in warm climate states. So, the Grapevine dealership salesman texts me a week later and asks if I was still interested and I texted a pic of my R back at him and told where I found it (20 miles away) and for how much. Lol. Of course he didn't believe me so I told him to call Grand Prairie Ford and talk to Dave the SM. And that your SM is a crook.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I got mine for cost + 500 bucks, now I just have to wait for it to get built.

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've giving up trying to find a 2020. Going to order a 2021. I've had two different new car managers at two different dealers tell me it will take approx eight weeks to arrive after the order is placed.

The dealer that let me test drive two trucks fairly long distances (a diesel longhorn and a hemi limited) will do 3% under invoice which is invoice minus his holdback. $299 doc fee and no BS in the finance department. I'll get whatever incentives FCA has when it arrives.

I've willing to fly to get a 7 or 8% under invoice deal but I'm not sure that happens on these trucks like it does on Jeeps.

Thanks for any advice.

Not a much better deal but the dealer in Spirit Lake, IA will do 5% below invoice with Tread Lightly.

BigBootyJudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Have to say the dealer I worked with was AWESOME. I went to a country dealer outside of Seattle because the had my exact truck but wrong color. I had not sat in or even driven one but knew it was the one i wanted. I had talked to Dave Smith in Idaho and they sell you at cost (FWP). Of course they still make 2395 HB. Well the sales guy was nice not pushy and said that the sales manager had the same truck and pulls a 5th wheel too. (We bought ordered a 44’ lower garage 5th wheel). So the SM comes out and shows a lot of neat lil things. I was honest and said that I was going to order from Smith and he said I have never lost a deal to Smith. He said go drive this one and we will talk when you come back. Well we drove it, loved it and said to them when we got back let me know what this truck right here would cost but flame red. He said he would emil me a build sheet. Well next day he had it ready, MSRP 81,250 Inv 75,791 and HD 2395-630 for his overhead and split the rest so my price on a 2021 is 74,910. He
Locked in the 1250 rebate at the time and if Dec has better offers we can use that. What a simple and great deal as I was not expecting him to offer HB split.

Pat 1616

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 ram limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello
Just purchased a ram limited at
Dave Smith Chrysler Dodge in Kellog Idaho
Had a very good experience. Call Reilly

BigBootyJudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Like I said, Dave Smith sells at invoice, My local dealer did below invoice when I mentioned Dave Smith.

NWhunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The last three vehicles I've bought I've paid $500 OVER invoice. No negotiation, just "here's the price" and I say "OK". A thousand, two or three over 5-10 years is not worth arguing about to me. Just don't try charging me MSRP or ADM.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I don't have the hard numbers in front of me, but based on my remembered rough numbers, I paid roughly 13% less than sticker. $500 above dealer invoice.

That's a great discount if I'm assuming correctly. I assume that was an in-stock truck, not an ordered truck. I also assume that 13% did not include any incentives or rebates.

Not sure what you mean by, "$500 above dealer invoice." That would not equate to 13% off sticker.

:)

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's a great discount if I'm assuming correctly. I assume that was an in-stock truck, not an ordered truck. I also assume that 13% did not include any incentives or rebates.

Not sure what you mean by, "$500 above dealer invoice." That would not equate to 13% off sticker.

:)

Round numbers, sticker was $55, I paid $48. Yes, it included a bit of an incentive, don't remember exactly what right now. It was an ordered truck and I got whatever incentives were available at delivery.

As for dealer invoice - they gave me a printout that showed dealer invoice VS MSRP, and I paid them $500 more than that.

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here's the listings for the 18 of the 2021 RAM Limited's the dealer I purchased mine from in Tampa, FL. They have a total of ~145 of the 20's and 21's on their lot.

On the fairly well equipped Limited's (~ $66,230 MSRP) they are giving you a "no haggle price"/Dodge Friends and Family discount of $12,909, for a sale price of $53,321.

They also have some more room to lower the cost if it is a large volume dealer. The Sales Manager added a "Dealer Discretion Rebate" reducing my costs by another $1,000 due to the length of time it took to get in and sign papers in the Finance Office that day. It was really busy that day and one of the Finance guys was out sick...

New Cars Trucks SUVs | Jim Browne Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Tampa Bay (tampachryslerjeepdodge.com)

Deviousin10tions

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Bighorn 8ft bed SRW
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The last 2 trucks I bought new, a 17 Power Wagon, and a 20 CTD 2500 were both bought at 2% under factory invoice look around for the Chrysler Affiliates Program.