Ordering a 2021 Longhorn or Limited: ? on packages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Newbie from Kansas City here. Always been a Chevy HD Diesel guy. Don't have a toyhauler anymore so want a luxury half ton. The Ram blows the Chevy half ton away.

We fell in love with the Longhorn with the Black/Saddle interior. We must have the advanced safety features. If I configure with the Advanced Safety Package (using the NADA ordering guides) it makes me get the Longhorn Level 1 package which has the Harmon Kardon and ventilated rear seats which we don't want. The Limited model allows me to configure without getting the Limited Level 1 package which includes the Harmon Kardon or rear ventilated seats and it's $3,100 cheaper.

Any chance the dealers have the ability to order the advanced safety package on the Longhorn without forcing me into the Longhorn Level 1 package? I would then just need to add the power steps and blind spot detection which aren't available separately on the NADA order guide.

We really love the Longhorn interior but I don't think it's worth $3,100 over the limited. I can't believe how much these trucks cost. More than the top trim HD diesels I used to buy.

Thanks for any help

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only way to know for sure is to stop by a dealership and have them configure a truck for you. There's no obligation to buy. Closest thing to that is the build and price feature on the ramtrucks.com website. I haven't tried the NADA order guide so I'm not familiar with that.

OP
OP
H

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
The only way to know for sure is to stop by a dealership and have them configure a truck for you. There's no obligation to buy. Closest thing to that is the build and price feature on the ramtrucks.com website. I haven't tried the NADA order guide so I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks. The NADA order guide has the 2020 and 2021 order info available with MSRP and invoice pricing. It tracks exactly the Invoice sheet for a 2020 Limited I got from a dealer. Looks like for 2021 the power fold tow mirrors will be available in both black and chrome and will allow the surround camera system to be kept. The Rebel can also get the surround camera for 2021.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2021/Ram-Truck/1500/Limited-4x4-Crew-Cab-57-Box/Pricing

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I "built" a truck on the nada site and also "built" one on Ram' site.
They seemed almost exact with option choices.

shurik74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Back in June I purchased 2020 Longhorn with Saddle/Black interior 6'4" bed, everything optioned except 360 camera & adaptive cruise control which I don't need at all. My truck was on the lot already though but I had the same dilemma as you "If I need to pay extra $$...". After going back and forth I pulled a trigger, it's been 2 months and no regrets! I tell myself "good choice" every time I get inside. My co-workers call it "american mercedes" ;)

Yes, trucks are way more expensive nowadays but look at fully loaded Camry :33:

Good luck :)

OP
OP
H

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Back in June I purchased 2020 Longhorn with Saddle/Black interior 6'4" bed, everything optioned except 360 camera & adaptive cruise control which I don't need at all. My truck was on the lot already though but I had the same dilemma as you "If I need to pay extra $$...". After going back and forth I pulled a trigger, it's been 2 months and no regrets! I tell myself "good choice" every time I get inside. My co-workers call it "american mercedes" ;)

Yes, trucks are way more expensive nowadays but look at fully loaded Camry :33:

Good luck :)

Congrats on the longhorn.

I took my wife to drive them this morning. She agreed that if we order a Longhorn or Limited it will be the diesel. She loved the Longhorn. I might have to come out of retirement. And with our long drives on I-90 the advanced safety package is a must. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel

I had our dealer check today. There is no way to get the advanced safety package on a Longhorn without getting the Harmon Kardon and rear ventilated seats. That puts the Longhorn at $3,125 more than a fully loaded limited. Of course my wife fell in love with the Longhorn interior.

The Longhorn should be a package on the Limited trim. Makes no sense that it's part of the Laramie trim other than the Wyoming connection.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had our dealer check today. There is no way to get the advanced safety package on a Longhorn without getting the Harmon Kardon and rear ventilated seats. That puts the Longhorn at $3,125 more than a fully loaded limited. Of course my wife fell in love with the Longhorn interior.

The Longhorn should be a package on the Limited trim. Makes no sense that it's part of the Laramie trim other than the Wyoming connection.
It's not actually part of the Laramie trim. The Laramie Longhorn is a separate model from the Laramie. In fact, Ram is changing the name of the Laramie Longhorn to Limited Longhorn for the 2021 model year.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
It's not actually part of the Laramie trim. The Laramie Longhorn is a separate model from the Laramie. In fact, Ram is changing the name of the Laramie Longhorn to Limited Longhorn for the 2021 model year.
Which doesn’t make sense either. Why not just Longhorn? A stand alone model like the Rebel or Power Wagon.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Which doesn’t make sense either. Why not just Longhorn? A stand alone model like the Rebel or Power Wagon.
I've wondered that myself, ever since the Laramie Longhorn model first came out. Why not just call it Longhorn?

shurik74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Congrats on the longhorn.

I took my wife to drive them this morning. She agreed that if we order a Longhorn or Limited it will be the diesel. She loved the Longhorn. I might have to come out of retirement. And with our long drives on I-90 the advanced safety package is a must. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm sorry to say it but nowadays vehicles are not designed for a long life... too much of electronics.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not sure I agree with that statement. Modern vehicles are definitely much more complex than they used to be, I'll give you that. But until some time in the late 80's to early 90's, vehicles were only designed to last 100k miles. I remember when it was a big deal when a vehicle rolled over 100k miles. Hell, the odometers only went to 99,999 miles and rolled over to zero. I don't know about you, but there's no way I'd willingly fork over $60k for a truck if I didn't even expect it to last 100k miles.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Vehicles seldom lasted more than 100,000 miles in the days when gasoline contained tetraethyllead as a way to boost octane (make the gas more resistant to pre-ignition).

Al Sloan, the head of GM, was told by his engineers that this additive would greatly shorten engine life and he responded that it really was not a concern and besides, GM was going to make a great deal of money as it owned the patent for tetraethyllead. GM engineers were able to reduce damage to the engines by 50% but it still greatly shortened engine life.

When leaded gasoline was phased out in the 1970's two things happened, engines lasted much longer, and with less lead poisoning of children (and loss of brain function) from auto exhaust, the crime rate dropped dramatically two decades later when the children became adults.

Blair Stunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 was a Longhorn as well. My new Longhorn has the tan/brown interior. This in my opinion looks better than the black or bone/navy choices for the Limited. Harmon-Kardon, RamBox, Air-Ride, Locking Dif and all the options short of the skid plates.