Ordering a 2022? Wait time? Allocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went to my local Ram dealer today to order a 22’.. University Dodge here in South Florida is one of the biggest Ram dealers here so I’m hoping they have more pull to order a 22’ 2500 Bighorn (or tradesman) 6.7..

I didn’t pull the trigger for a few reasons:

1. I was delirious after days of truck shopping. (my brain felt like a bowl of soup lol I don’t make smart decisions when I’m like that)

2. I was unsure of the lead time.. salesman said 2-4mo or even longer

3. Trade value could depreciate significantly during that time (my 2019 Tacoma is worth what i paid for it on trade right now)

In the meantime, I’ve listed my truck privately to see what it brings.. it’s a well built truck with Fox 2.5 coil-overs. Trading is usually better to do with a stock truck..

Needless to say inside my head is a proverbial ping pong match of options and packages… Bighorn or tradesman.. etc etc.. always wanted a Cummins 6.7 2500 just don’t want to wait 6mo or more.. anyone have a crystal ball so they could tell me how long it could be from a very large Ram dealer?? Lol..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The HD Rams are built in Saltillo Mexico

Most Rams, 1500 or HDs, usually follow a pattern
1 month for all the paperwork to work its way through the system
a second month to build the vehicle
another week at the body vendor
scheduling for transit can take a while
They have to fill a rr freight car with HD Rams going to Florida only.
Then the freight train stops at several other places, it is a milk run & enters the USA at Eagle Pass Texas.

The train route may go North all the way to Chicago & then down to Florida, or it may go to St. Louis & down to Florida

That is why HD Rams take at least 4 months for delivery

Where as Ram 1500s mostly leave the assembly plant in Michigan & go to Chicago, before being rerouted onto other RR lines & taken to their final destination.
They take 3 months to delivery normally

All timing is subject to change & a lot depends on Options that require Microchips

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With a customer order it doesn't matter so much how big the dealership, there's a several month back up to get a HD truck built. My buddy ordered a nicely equipped Laramie 3500 CTD HO at the end of July '21, it's "build date" is February 12.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have read on an RV Forum that most Ram HD's are 12-16 weeks out. Dealer that I am working with said they are picking the pace back up. He stated about the same thing. Orders back in July, August, September, are just now being built, but he had a December order for a 3500 Laramie that is also being built now. I imagine some of it has to do with how many employees get knocked out with Covid for a week or two. And as mentioned above chip availability likely to slow some down.
A lot of trains out of the Mexico plant will go to Nashville & then split off into different trains or trucks at that point. A guy on that RV Forum (from Florida) said his truck went to Nashville on a train, switched trains there, went to Jacksonville, got off loaded there & then was trucked further south into Florida. I am in Ohio & I would think mine would have went to Chicago as well but it got off loaded at Nashville & then was trucked the rest of the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The HD Rams are built in Saltillo Mexico

Most Rams, 1500 or HDs, usually follow a pattern
1 month for all the paperwork to work its way through the system
a second month to build the vehicle
another week at the body vendor
scheduling for transit can take a while
They have to fill a rr freight car with HD Rams going to Florida only.
Then the freight train stops at several other places, it is a milk run & enters the USA at Eagle Pass Texas.

The train route may go North all the way to Chicago & then down to Florida, or it may go to St. Louis & down to Florida

That is why HD Rams take at least 4 months for delivery

Where as Ram 1500s mostly leave the assembly plant in Michigan & go to Chicago, before being rerouted onto other RR lines & taken to their final destination.
They take 3 months to delivery normally

All timing is subject to change & a lot depends on Options that require Microchips
Wow thanks!! Just saw this.. I’ve since ordered the truck.. dealer didn’t take a deposit. So, now I’ve got cold feet! lol my current truck i listed sold in 12hrs lol.. I thought it would take a while because it was ‘built out’ lol.

I’m looking for dealers who have inventory and are actually making ‘deals’ I’ve heard of a few in the South, KY and LA.. not sure i want to wait 4mo. I mean no disrespect to the Dealer but they said they didn’t care whether i bought it or not, they want more inventory.

But if i can find a similarity equipped truck for less I’ll travel and jump on it since I’m paying MSRP

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
WOW !!

I am glad to hear that not all trucks have to go to Chicago, where the main transfer HUB is

Once they redesign the mapping of the RR Tracks
They may get more efficient & have 3 or 4 RR Hubs on the UP northbound tracks
At given points, other RR companies could take things East

Union Pacific hauls the Rams out of Mexico & enters the USA at Eagle Pass Tx.
from there it go to Chicago, with stops along the way

UP Mexico intermodal railway map, Ram trucks come out of Saltillo

1644291105838.png

when the Union Pacific Railway crosses the Border at Eagle Pass, Tx. & follows the track to Chicago

1644291369844.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
1644291950122.png

If you noticed, each different RR Company is color coded
Every color goes to Chicago

Last edited:

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I ordered a 3500 Limited Night Edition diesel on Nov 11, its scheduled to be built on Feb 16th and then I'm told 6-8 weeks for shipping.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
went to my local Ram dealer today to order a 22’.. University Dodge here in South Florida is one of the biggest Ram dealers here so I’m hoping they have more pull to order a 22’ 2500 Bighorn (or tradesman) 6.7..

I didn’t pull the trigger for a few reasons:

1. I was delirious after days of truck shopping. (my brain felt like a bowl of soup lol I don’t make smart decisions when I’m like that)

2. I was unsure of the lead time.. salesman said 2-4mo or even longer

3. Trade value could depreciate significantly during that time (my 2019 Tacoma is worth what i paid for it on trade right now)

In the meantime, I’ve listed my truck privately to see what it brings.. it’s a well built truck with Fox 2.5 coil-overs. Trading is usually better to do with a stock truck..

Needless to say inside my head is a proverbial ping pong match of options and packages… Bighorn or tradesman.. etc etc.. always wanted a Cummins 6.7 2500 just don’t want to wait 6mo or more.. anyone have a crystal ball so they could tell me how long it could be from a very large Ram dealer?? Lol..
I bought a Tradesman and put in a number of factory upgrades like the overhead console, 8.4 radio and fog lights. Not hard to do, I may add heated seats next year. Just offering in case you find a Tradesman that otherwise fits your needs. Good luck.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I bought a Tradesman and put in a number of factory upgrades like the overhead console, 8.4 radio and fog lights. Not hard to do, I may add heated seats next year. Just offering in case you find a Tradesman that otherwise fits your needs. Good luck.
Isn't that much more expensive doing it that way? I guess it's about how bad you want it!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Isn't that much more expensive doing it that way? I guess it's about how bad you want it!
Nope. I paid under $1000 for radio, steering wheel controls, new bezel, overhead console, fog lights, factory switch, wiring harnesses, OBD and security bypass, and the box and door for the upper glovebox conversion. All that is different packages costing way more. So buying a leftover that was set mostly how I wanted it got me a brand new 2500 for under 38k with tax and all the options above plus my own adds of running boards, liner, and mudflaps. I want simple and dislike a main control (radio) for so much in the truck. I like a separate control for each item, and easier to move knobs and levers with my gloves than use sliders on the radio. I mostly upgraded that to display maps, otherwise I was happy with the stock radio.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nope. I paid under $1000 for radio, steering wheel controls, new bezel, overhead console, fog lights, factory switch, wiring harnesses, OBD and security bypass, and the box and door for the upper glovebox conversion. All that is different packages costing way more. So buying a leftover that was set mostly how I wanted it got me a brand new 2500 for under 38k with tax and all the options above plus my own adds of running boards, liner, and mudflaps. I want simple and dislike a main control (radio) for so much in the truck. I like a separate control for each item, and easier to move knobs and levers with my gloves than use sliders on the radio. I mostly upgraded that to display maps, otherwise I was happy with the stock radio.

Nice! Anytime I have looked to add something it was inflated 5X what it was on the original order form. Glad you got it set up just how you like it. These trucks cost too much money not to have it just the way you want it.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Ordered my Ram 3500 single axle Laramie on Dec 11th 2021, build completed Jan 30th I believe-It has been in shipping mode since then. I was surprised at the quick build time as I ordered every option I could except trailer tire Pressure Monitoring. Safety Group B $1,765 Bed Utility Group $845 Deployable Bed–Step by Mopar® LED Bed Lighting Spray–In Bedliner by Mopar, Laramie Level D Equipment Group $4,225 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine $9,495 220–Amp Alternator Center Stop Lamp with Cargo–View Camera $345 Power Deployable, Exterior Color: Granite Crystal Metallic Clear–Coat Exterior Paint Interior Color: Mountain Brown / Light Frost Beige Interior Color Interior: Leather–Trimmed Bucket Seats Engine: 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6–Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission Running Boards $995 Engine Block Heater $95 Dual Alternators Rated at 440 Amps $295 Wired Tow–Mode Camera $545 ==$81,315.00-

My 1st 2500 was a 1999, My 3500 was a 2003 (hard on tires, bought bigger trailer so I need a Bigger Truck)-had it 16 years-Then made a BIG MISTAKE-I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 6 cylinder-What a piece of junk-NO POWER, when back window is open for air flow the truck shakes so bad you need two hands to handle it, 11 miles to a gallon (no tow), difficult at best to get in and out of, 5.5 bed is way to small, and a ton of little things that I do not like.

I am slowly dying while my truck is in transit, already have had 2 delays in delivery so I went from 6 weeks to 10 now. This is my last truck I intend to purchase, and I wanted comfort this time-I sold ($65,000.00) my baseball card collection so I could afford it and I want it now.
I was surprised at the dealer though, Tate Dodge of Glen Burnie Maryland, after picking all options (took 2 1/2 hours) we came to the MSRP, dealer refused so much as a $1.00 off the MSRP. I told him there are 3 dealers within 13 miles of him and NOBODY PAYS MSRP. I told him I was going to Bayside Dodge in Annapolis MD and I'm sure they will take something off to which he replied "they probably will" I stayed in parking lot for 5 minutes fooling around to give him another chance, but nothing-I would suggest if you live in MD- you avoid them at all cost. All they had to do was what they would do if I purchased a truck off the lot. Bayside IMMEADITLY gave me $1700.00 off MSRP (military and repeat Dodge cust) . I dislike dealers who think they are all that, especially since I already purchased my other 2 Rams from him, 3 Dodge from Bayside) I even offered $40,000.00 down, cash. wasted my time but that time really helped the dealer I am using.
He wanted $1,000.00 down and stated he would hold check in good faith and not cash it) Anyway I hope it does well with all the train miles--PS I got the single axle because tires are costly and I have no intentions to ever haul what I used to.

I really loved my other two Rams--NEVER had any issues except for rust on the under carriage of my 2003 3500, tye rods, spare tire holder and a few other things.

Last edited: