Ordering a truck - Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I've never ordered a truck before but I have been unable to find what I want within 500 miles of Houston,TX and I've been looking for the past 3 months. My local dealer is willing to order it without any deposit/obligation.

This is what I want:
2019 1500 Laramie, 4x4, crew cab, 6' 4" bed, black leather with split front bench, 3.92 rear, limited slip diff, trailer brake, level 1 group, in Silver, Max Steel, or Patriot blue

Possibilities: bed package, offroad pkg, chrome pkg,

I don't do much offroad driving so e-locker isn't needed, sunroofs brake and leak, I use gps on my phone so no 12" screen. Longhorn and Limited dont offer front bench seats.

Any recommendations are welcome. I am trading a 2016 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.4 hemi

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
We have ordered the last 4 vehicles we bought new with no regrets. Why pay that kind of money unless its what you want. I also recommend if your on the fence about an option, get it. At $50,000.00 plus, you may as well go for it! Don't say I wish I would have once it's too late.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The worst part of ordering a truck is the wait. Since you've been looking for 3 months, you've basically been waiting as long as it takes to get your order already.

When it comes to options that you think you may want, I recommend you do it. If you're financing, it may likely cost a couple bucks a month on your loan (unless you're exercising the HellRAM option), but it will go a long ways towards your satisfaction of your new truck. When I ordered my truck, I got every option I thought I would like except for the 4:10:1 axle. My salesguy told me that most with the 4:10's complain bigtime about gas mileage. It's been almost two years, and to this day, regret not doing the 4:10.

So, I say order what you want so you have no regrets.

PS: at the time I was not a member of this forum. There is a lot of good info and very helpful people here, and if I were here, I would have ordered the 4:10 axle, then my one regret would be the lack of an 8 speed transmission

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The worst part of ordering a vehicle, aside from the wait, is that a lot of the cash back offers apply only to dealer stock. A lot of times you end up paying close to MSRP when you order a vehicle. If price is no object, then definitely order what you want. You get the exact vehicle you want.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I would get the off road package:

You get, skid plates, locking diff, 1” lift, full size spare, tow hooks, AT tires/nice rims, hill descent control for $795. Open diff is better in the snow and rain (on the road) than the anti-spin diff, and if you get stuck, you turn on the locking diff. Under seat cargo for $125.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get the off road package:

You get, skid plates, locking diff, 1” lift, full size spare, tow hooks, AT tires/nice rims, hill descent control for $795. Open diff is better in the snow and rain (on the road) than the anti-spin diff, and if you get stuck, you turn on the locking diff. Under seat cargo for $125.
You can also get the locking differential and hill control and some of that other stuff with the North package, block heater, and a few other things I can't remember if you want that package.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the exception of "winter driver's", every vehicle I have owned since 1967 I have ordered. You get exactly what you want, and like others have mentioned if your on the fence about an option, get it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The worst part of ordering a vehicle, aside from the wait, is that a lot of the cash back offers apply only to dealer stock. A lot of times you end up paying close to MSRP when you order a vehicle. If price is no object, then definitely order what you want. You get the exact vehicle you want.

Not the case here in Canada, I ordered mine and I got every incentive that a vehicle on the lot got. It was discounted over $20000.00 from invoice and before trade was applied.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm pretty sure Dennis Dillon offers the same deal on orders as stock. Not sure if you're up for the drive to Idaho but it's at least good to know it is possible to get everything you want at a good price.

LOL at the salesman saying "most people with 4.10s complain about gas MPGs". I'm sure he was just trying to sell a truck on the lot with the 3.73s. I've been on this board daily since 2014 and don't think I've ever seen a mention of worse MPGs with the 4.10s. Hell, guys are going to 4.56 and 4.88 and report BETTER mileage as a daily driver with city drives.

OP
OP
A

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I went ahead and ordered my truck on 12/14/19 and it was delivered on 02/01/19. I was able to negotiate $10k directly off MSRP and got $39,400 for my 2016 Ram 2500 megacab 6.4 hemi. Not a bad deal to be out of pocket only $5800 for a brand new truck.
I decided on:
Billet silver, 3.92, limited slip, skid plates, bedliner pkg, Laramie level 1 with the 6ft 4 inch bed and bench seat.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I went ahead and ordered my truck on 12/14/19 and it was delivered on 02/01/19. I was able to negotiate $10k directly off MSRP and got $39,400 for my 2016 Ram 2500 megacab 6.4 hemi. Not a bad deal to be out of pocket only $5800 for a brand new truck.
I decided on:
Billet silver, 3.92, limited slip, skid plates, bedliner pkg, Laramie level 1 with the 6ft 4 inch bed and bench seat.

Congrats on the new truck :banana-mario::dogpile::favorites37: