Original stock battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long should the battery that came new with our trucks last?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had Orileys test it and their tool says it is bad, getting a second opinion now.

Truck is a 2017, guess the amps and all the new mods have just put a strain on it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
depending on when your truck was built, the battery could be 3 yrs old already.
A normal lead-acid battery is usually good for about 4 years, some of that depends on the vehicle itself.
If your thinking of replacing the battery, I would suggest an AGM type battery. I had an Optima in my last vehicle that was 8 years old and I know the battery was completely drained 3 times from the lights left on. The vehicle also sat most of the week.

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took it to another shop and they confirmed it had a bad cell. Bought a new one, it is AGM.

Thanks!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be good for 3-4 years. But in my experience it had to be replaced after two years. That was about 6 months after putting an aftermarket sound system in it!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Mine is working on its 6th year, 100 amp stereo for the last 4.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i use a battery tender on mine all winter. It helps especially as most of my drives are short working locally in a small city.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in AZ, I've been a good 2-3 years on stock batteries as well as some of my friends.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah i hear from fellow motorbike guys your heat is a killer of batteries

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in Idaho, heat is not too bad, winters are somewhat mild where I am. Im wondering if they put different batteries based on trim level. I have an Express which came with no frills. I've since added many electric mods, i.e. Line Out Converter, 2 Amps, 8.4 radio, 7"Evic, backup cam, aftermarket remote start with a cell adapter to start from anywhere...push to start...sure all that has added load and stain on the stock one. We'll see how long this new one lasts.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i've been to your fair state. not a ton different than Alberta I think. the main issue i find with batteries is charging them properly. my remote starter which worked great when i got the truck in february started to not want to start the truck. after some reading and backup by my dealer my short drives to work and no long drives to speak of were lowering the battery charge enough that the remote start saw an error. hence why i put a battery tender on my truck for the winter to keep it topped up. i had one around anyway for my motorbike and some spare cables so i could permanently mount it to my battery and have it come just outside the grill in the winter. it fixed my problem for sure and i know from my motorbike experience it will help the lifespan of the battery.

Aside from that I asked my dealer what they recommended and they said to take the vehicle for a one hour round trip drive once a week to keep it charged and healthy. Outside of winter I find lots of reasons to drive more, but in the dead of a cold winter, aside from work and groceries, I'm a homebody and don't drive it enough.

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i've been to your fair state. not a ton different than Alberta I think. the main issue i find with batteries is charging them properly. my remote starter which worked great when i got the truck in february started to not want to start the truck. after some reading and backup by my dealer my short drives to work and no long drives to speak of were lowering the battery charge enough that the remote start saw an error. hence why i put a battery tender on my truck for the winter to keep it topped up. i had one around anyway for my motorbike and some spare cables so i could permanently mount it to my battery and have it come just outside the grill in the winter. it fixed my problem for sure and i know from my motorbike experience it will help the lifespan of the battery.

Aside from that I asked my dealer what they recommended and they said to take the vehicle for a one hour round trip drive once a week to keep it charged and healthy. Outside of winter I find lots of reasons to drive more, but in the dead of a cold winter, aside from work and groceries, I'm a homebody and don't drive it enough.
I'll definitely do the Battery tender. I work from home so don't drive it much at home but once a month or so I take a one way 12 trip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk