Original Texting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dickscrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2021 Laramie. I have been trying to set up the system for sending original texts (not the canned responses). I have found several sites as how to set it up but none work. I have spoken with Uconnect numerous times. The last time they told me that the only way to send an original text is to connect my phone by cord to the radio (I have a Samsung S10e smart phone). I was told they went to a Panasonic radio and it does and it does not have the capability of blue tooth for original text. My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee allowed me to do an original text with out connecting my phone to the radio via the cable.

With the technology we have today, I find this somewhat crazy. Has anyone else incurred this problem? If the phone cord is the only way to do original texting then I would have to recommend that someone look at a different brand of vehicle. To my knowledge Ram is the only one using this old type technology. I love the Ram but honestly would have not purchased it if I had known this.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, this has been an unpopular thing since the 5th gen came out 3 years ago. Here's what a quick google search returns about this topic from some various ram forums:

I think I saw a thread started in February 2018 regarding this, so there have been some people unhappy about that over the past 3+ years. Probably won't help to tell you that the 2022s are getting uconnect 5 with wireless carplay/android auto so this shouldn't be an issue once the 22s come out.

In terms of not wanting the truck because of that? Well I guess that depends on how much you text while driving. I have my phone connected a decent amount of the time for carplay anyways and otherwise I don't really have a problem waiting to respond to someone (I'll still listen to the message to verify it isn't an emergency), so not really an issue for me. Just something that would be nice to have again (my 2017 didn't need to be connected via wire to respond to text by voice) but certainly not anything I'm upset about and I did know about that ahead of time due to these forums. To me overall interior comfort/quality and gas tank size and ride comfort are the most important for my needs out of the truck (lots of travelling), so I'm sticking with my longhorn with 33 gallon tank (oh and the multi function tailgate, have gotten great use out of that already).

Sorry you're unhappy with your truck! Market is still pretty good right now if you want to try to get out of it!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot about this option, this would make the carplay/AA wireless:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don't like this either.
My '17 let me respond with texts and now the '20 doesn't.
Do I hate the truck because of it? No, I still like the truck, just a minor inconvenience.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you guys not able to press and hold the VR button on the steering wheel to bring up the phone’s native assistant while connected via Bluetooth? I use iPhone, and this would bring up Siri- so I would just say “text so and so”, or “read messages”, and I’m able to dictate what I want the text to say. Doesn’t matter if the phone is in my pocket via Bluetooth, or connected to the media hub with CarPlay running. This is on a 12” radio.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I missing something here? You wont recommend buying a Ram because you can't text while driving because there's a cord attached to your phone? Do you really send and recieve that many texts while you're in the truck? How do you charge the phone?

OP
OP
D

dickscrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Am I missing something here? You wont recommend buying a Ram because you can't text while driving because there's a cord attached to your phone? Do you really send and recieve that many texts while you're in the truck? How do you charge the phone?
As I said, I do like my Ram truck but would not recommend it because of the technology issue. I do use the text feature frequently. I have the built in charger on my truck so I do not need to connect a cord for that function. When I am paying north of $60K for a vehicle I do expect it to have technology included that is at least 7 years old.

OP
OP
D

dickscrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you guys not able to press and hold the VR button on the steering wheel to bring up the phone’s native assistant while connected via Bluetooth? I use iPhone, and this would bring up Siri- so I would just say “text so and so”, or “read messages”, and I’m able to dictate what I want the text to say. Doesn’t matter if the phone is in my pocket via Bluetooth, or connected to the media hub with CarPlay running. This is on a 12” radio.
My radio is the 8.4 and that may be part of the issue. Uconnect has had me try exactly what you are saying however I would say "google" as I have android. Unfortunately, this does not work. Thanks for your post though.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I said, I do like my Ram truck but would not recommend it because of the technology issue. I do use the text feature frequently. I have the built in charger on my truck so I do not need to connect a cord for that function. When I am paying north of $60K for a vehicle I do expect it to have technology included that is at least 7 years old.
Well that cool and all but if it is such an important feature for you to have you probably should've researched it a little more to make sure the truck had what you're looking for. To each their own