Other use of Home link buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't take credit for the idea. I saw it on here somewhere.

I have a home link system in my truck. I only use 1 of the 3 buttons. I could use the other two buttons as on/off for my lights, thus not needing extra switches.

I'm a volunteer firefighter and don't use the lights daily. More like maybe monthly. I've been collecting lights from various sources to use on a previous truck. I never installed them.

After buying a new truck I decided to move forward and install what I had. This new truck had the home link.

After a few fails I found what works. I use this receiver/transmitter to trip a Bosch relay that then powers on a 6 gang fuse box. Each light had it's own fuse so if one had an issue it won't take out all the lights.

The transmitter was easily trained to the home link. The best part is this was a $20 buy from Amazon. It also has 2 remotes. While I use the home link you could use the remote and trip 4 different channels. My home link only has 3. For me, #1 is for the garage door. #2 Emergency lights and #3 will be auxillary white driving lights.

All in, I did this whole setup for less than $50 and have a super clean install.ec19c59084af143142f0b2f04c582781.jpged511e64eed25f00151e18ee113e3f84.jpgb1ea80be10d3a35f6e751a17b8beb6ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
2 similar options from another thread around here that supposedly work...

Fimco 7771938 12 Volt On/Off Wireless Remote Control 250 Feet Range Quick Connect to Fimco 5275086, 5275087 or all 12 Volt Sprayer Pumps up to 20 Amps, Convenient Keychain Clip and Collapsable Antenna https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FGYK50A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l9mrEb6JC6712

AGT 12V Waterproof Wireless Remote Control DC Universal 2-Channel Output Works LED Lights https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0068D0OBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_p-mrEbQHSVWCT

M² Mods.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Thanks for the idea. I don't have room for the aux switches so to power the fuel transfer tank pump I use a remote fob and control box also from Amazon.
Now I'm wondering if I can train the Homelink to turn it on/off?

Well, it worked! I had to use the II button to turn it on, and the III button to turn it off. That's great in case I lose the fob.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2 similar options from another thread around here that supposedly work...

Fimco 7771938 12 Volt On/Off Wireless Remote Control 250 Feet Range Quick Connect to Fimco 5275086, 5275087 or all 12 Volt Sprayer Pumps up to 20 Amps, Convenient Keychain Clip and Collapsable Antenna https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FGYK50A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l9mrEb6JC6712

AGT 12V Waterproof Wireless Remote Control DC Universal 2-Channel Output Works LED Lights https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0068D0OBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_p-mrEbQHSVWCT

M² Mods.

I dont know about the Fimco but can attest to the AGT model. Used it for quite a while synced to my homelink.
#1 for gate, 2 for flush mt tow hook pods and 3 for behind the grill pods.
Actually thinking of putting it in my classic

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
So ?? do you install these remote controlled relays and then program it to button II or III of the overhead? Is it done same way as garage remote for button I ?? If so, I'm in !

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So ?? do you install these remote controlled relays and then program it to button II or III of the overhead? Is it done same way as garage remote for button I ?? If so, I'm in !

Yes. I used an LED light bar remote relay kit from Amazon.
Programming is the same as a garage door.
Hold the II button down and then hold the remote FOB button down simultaneously while watching the cluster. The message will change notifying you when it is programmed. Done.

If it is a 2 button (on / off) remote FOB I had to use both Homelink buttons, II for ON, III for OFF.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Yes. I used an LED light bar remote relay kit from Amazon.
Programming is the same as a garage door.
Hold the II button down and then hold the remote FOB button down simultaneously while watching the cluster. The message will change notifying you when it is programmed. Done.

If it is a 2 button (on / off) remote FOB I had to use both Homelink buttons, II for ON, III for OFF.
Awesome. Amazon loves me even more now more stuff to order.
Thanks for info. Worried I’d have to tear open the overhead but this is so much better

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

As said above, programs exactly like a garage door opener would.
Only thing to watch for if you want multiple uses is to get (I believe) a latching relay.
The AGT one I have, once programmed to homelink is push button for on and push same button for off. Allows for putting more lights(or whatever) on the three homelink buttons.
It would drive me nuts to push one button for on and another for off...lol

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Only thing to watch for if you want multiple uses is to get (I believe) a latching relay.
The AGT one I have, once programmed to homelink is push button for on and push same button for off. Allows for putting more lights(or whatever) on the three homelink buttons.

You're right but for now I'm working with what I got! I'd like to free up the other button for my remote controlled on board air solenoids that fill & deflate the bags but I'll make due for now.

OP
OP
Greenham

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep that is correct. There are 3 modes. You are also correct. You want latched mode which uses the SAME button. Most of these devices do the latch mode.

I will say, I've had them turn on randomly a few times. I'm not sure if it is catching a random signal from other vehicles, businesses etc.

OP
OP
Greenham

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not as cool as you guys but I use one of mine for a garage door opener(obviously) and the other to open/close my driveway gate. Had a motorcycle trailer stolen out of the back several years ago so I put up an electric driveway gate to keep people out.
That's what one of the other two buttons were for. A driveway gate

OP
OP
Greenham

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The one I used has 4 channels, so you could have it do 3 different things with the 3 home link buttons and 1 with the supplied mini remote.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
I was looking at these remotes, how do you know which ones the U-connect buttons will be able to use?? Is there a freq range to look for?

OP
OP
Greenham

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking at these remotes, how do you know which ones the U-connect buttons will be able to use?? Is there a freq range to look for?
It doesn't interface with uconnect. It interfaces work home link. You have to have the 3 home link installed in the overhead console. Look for any receivers that work with home link. Do a Amazon search for home link gate opener receivers.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
It doesn't interface with uconnect. It interfaces work home link. You have to have the 3 home link installed in the overhead console. Look for any receivers that work with home link. Do a Amazon search for home link gate opener receivers.

Thanks ! I do have the 3 overhead buttons (I, II, III) just didn't know the term.
What about the relays? if you want to mix momentary and latched styles for say garage door opener vs light bar

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What about the relays? if you want to mix momentary and latched styles for say garage door opener vs light bar
Momentary or Latched is usually selectable by the relay board itself. The Homelink just sends out the signal to actuate the relay or garage door opener.

OP
OP
Greenham

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Momentary or Latched is usually selectable by the relay board itself. The Homelink just sends out the signal to actuate the relay or garage door opener.
Yep.. latched is what most people will use. Same switch turns it in and off. Momentary is only on while holding the button down. The 3rd (I forget what they call it) used 1 button to turn on and another to turn off.

I just used a standard 30/40 amp Bosch style relay.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know about the Fimco but can attest to the AGT model. Used it for quite a while synced to my homelink.
#1 for gate, 2 for flush mt tow hook pods and 3 for behind the grill pods.
Actually thinking of putting it in my classic

Just to clarify, if I order this AGT device, I can use my home link buttons to turn on/off my green light for the fire department? Or do I need to order something else as well?