Our Faithful Ram was Totalled by Reckless Uninsured Motorist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We just got word that our loaded 2009 Ram that we just renovated with new LED headlights, taillights, trim, some suspension components, wheels, front camera, fresh tint, etc was totalled out. I was hoping we'd get several more years of service out of her. :(

Luckily we have uninsured motorist coverage, as the guy that rammed the Ram spoke no English and had no insurance, but luckily was found 100% at fault since all the vehicles he hit were at a stop. Haven't heard back yet what their lowball offer is going to be, but I hear they don't take any of that into account and just give you the same KBB value as another poor condition truck that is half rusted through. Maybe they'll let us at least take the wheels off, as they were untouched by the rear-end. Appreciate everyone's time and assistance repairing and modding the Ram over the years! With gas prices and wanting to fit in the garage again and used Ram prices being pretty high, looking to stay in the Dodge family but with a little crossover instead of a Ram, and placed an order for a Dodge Hornet. Hopefully it doesn't suck, but will pop-in to the other car section and what not to update.

Thanks again all!
Edit: Oops, I meant "reckless" not "wreckless"... if anything the guy that hit everyone was "wreckfull"!

Last edited:

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jessica,

I see that you are a fellow Houstonian. I feel your pain. I have been hit twice by uninsured motorists. One took out a Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas (I was stopped at a red light) and the other took out a Porsche Boxster (ran a red light). Unfortunately, if you live in Houston, uninsured motorist insurance is a must. Knock on wood, I am still driving the 2016 Ram 2500. I do NOT want to buy a new vehicle until the supply / demand curve balances out.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Haven't heard back yet what their lowball offer is going to be, but I hear they don't take any of that into account and just give you the same KBB value as another poor condition truck that is half rusted through.

You don't have to take their first offer and sometimes it's worth it to fight them on it. Many years ago, I had an '89 Dodge totaled out and didn't like the valuation they gave me. I took the specs to multiple dealerships and asked what they would sell the vehicle for in the condition it was in prior to the claim. I ended up getting about $1500 extra out of the insurance company, which at the time represented about a 30% bump in the value, IIRC.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry to hear......just curious......what do they do to the guy that hit you with no insurance.....slap his hand and let him go? He should be in jail in my opinion. Good luck with your insurance company.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Anyone here who does or has worked in Law Enforcement knows that the number of uninsured motorists is incredibly high and it's so maddening. This goes for persons driving while suspended also! You see the same people over and over and judges do not sentence them to time. Court costs and probation. Pay fine and go home. Same crap and they go right out and drive again, no license or insurance. They know the repercussions are minimal.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Sorry to hear this! Hopefully your insurance company will be willing to go to bat for you. As mentioned I wouldn't take their initial offer unless you're in a bind for a replacement vehicle. Insurance companies are notorious for lowballing on the initial offer fully expecting you to balk at it. If you have receipts of your recent upgrades that will help. Your paper trial may prove to be vital. I would make note of every conversation regarding this issue in detail including times of calls, etc. It will likely be a battle. You get out of it what you put into it.

No one wins in this scenario.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sorry to hear......just curious......what do they do to the guy that hit you with no insurance.....slap his hand and let him go? He should be in jail in my opinion. Good luck with your insurance company.

It's not an arrestable offense here, but I'm sure it varies state to state. It's a citation only, with the option to impound the car.

We used to arrest unlicensed drivers, and it's still legal, but realistically it's a waste of time and resources. It's too prevalent and we don't have the time to book them, let alone jail them.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He got a ticket for failure to control speed, and that's it I think. Well, and his vehicle is dead. I was going to try to take him to small claims court for the $500 deductible when done. The police report has all his info on there and those that had insurance their companies agreed he was 100% at fault, so should be an easy win I hope.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not an arrestable offense here, but I'm sure it varies state to state. It's a citation only, with the option to impound the car.

We used to arrest unlicensed drivers, and it's still legal, but realistically it's a waste of time and resources. It's too prevalent and we don't have the time to book them, let alone jail them.
A shame really. The good guys are required to have insurance.....the bad guys are required as well but don't AND get away with it. It p i s s e s me off!

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He got a ticket for failure to control speed, and that's it I think. Well, and his vehicle is dead. I was going to try to take him to small claims court for the $500 deductible when done.

Just wrong......he should be held accountable but we just slap their hands.....sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
He got a ticket for failure to control speed, and that's it I think. Well, and his vehicle is dead. I was going to try to take him to small claims court for the $500 deductible when done. The police report has all his info on there and those that had insurance their companies agreed he was 100% at fault, so should be an easy win I hope.
Jessica hopefully you have success with small claims court. Not at all trying to discourage you at all but the down side to small claims court is even if you get a ruling in your favor which I'm sure you would there's really nothing other than a judgement against him to make him pay so actually getting money out of him might be the hardest part. FYI. Hope you don't let him off the hook. Who knows if once you file and he finds out he might be willing to pay you direct to avoid court.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was it side swiped ?

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
An easy win, sure. Collecting? That could be a challenge. Sorry this happened. What a PITA.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Sorry to hear…….. Hopefully all are ok and not injured.

Rams and other vehicles can be replaced…….. you can’t be :waytogo:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In small claims court with a person like that, you will win, and get a judgement that is as good as his insurance....worthless. If you go to the courthouse and check, I'm sure you will find many judgements against this person.

I'm sure he has no bank account and owns no property. Even if they do have money in the bank, they don't have to pay if they don't care about regular credit.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, straight on from the back, but the frame was apparently bent, not just the bed, so they write it off after that.
Here, you can buy it back for a small amount and then fix it and run it - worse case is you get a reconstructed title.
If it is just the frame in the rear, I wouldn't hesitate to buy back and fix.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So sorry for your loss.

I got hit in a walmart parking lot. Dude coming out of the aisle runs into the drivers side, right at the rear corner of the cab.

No insurance, wrong tag on the car.

No arrest (they didn't see him driving, I said I saw him in the drivers seat - citizen's arrest? - Nope) and they let him park it. A couple tickets for him, and I'm out $500 for my deductible.

Bullsh*t is what it is.

Resized_20210314_161046.jpeg

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So sorry for your loss.

I got hit in a walmart parking lot. Dude coming out of the aisle runs into the drivers side, right at the rear corner of the cab.

No insurance, wrong tag on the car.

No arrest (they didn't see him driving, I said I saw him in the drivers seat - citizen's arrest? - Nope) and they let him park it. A couple tickets for him, and I'm out $500 for my deductible.

Bullsh*t is what it is.

In most states, a misdemeanor must be witnessed by an officer for an outright arrest, unless specifically listed in the state code as a misdemeanor exception. The only traffic related exception is hit/run. So in order for an arrest to be made, an arrest warrant would have to be issued. Nobody has the time and manpower for that for a traffic misdemeanor these days. Citizen's arrests are limited to felonies and disturbance of the peace misdemeanors, typically, but there are certainly broader and more restrictive states.