Over-stress motor concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
WOT, but what does the tac. say? it it's sitting at 5500, I would be backing off a bit I think, If it is a 3K or there about , than I can't see a problem, My old grain truck spent about half it life with the peddle on the floor, but it was never over speed, maybe 3 to 4K most of the time at 2800rpm's

Light299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas
Interestingly just got a scan tool for my ram, and randomly tried it out on a quick run.... 5.7, 89 octane, ~70f ambient, 1,200' altitude. Decided to watch the two knock sensors and timing retard. I was SUPRISED to see how much knock there was and to see the computer pulling up to 4 degrees of timing. INTERESTINGLY the knock tended to happen at ~ 10% throttle as moderate load without downshift....with a clutch you'd call it lugging. Under WOT, 0 knock. Not that I'm worried, just interesting to see under cool, medium octane conditions. I generally stay away from 87 in it because with MDS it has issues...

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interestingly just got a scan tool for my ram, and randomly tried it out on a quick run.... 5.7, 89 octane, ~70f ambient, 1,200' altitude. Decided to watch the two knock sensors and timing retard. I was SUPRISED to see how much knock there was and to see the computer pulling up to 4 degrees of timing. INTERESTINGLY the knock tended to happen at ~ 10% throttle as moderate load without downshift....with a clutch you'd call it lugging. Under WOT, 0 knock. Not that I'm worried, just interesting to see under cool, medium octane conditions. I generally stay away from 87 in it because with MDS it has issues...
What values are you watching for knock and timing pull?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Load and throttle pressure with lower RPM is the most common area for pinging to occur.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80939 miles

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check this out. TFL Trucks take a'13 Ram towing up a Colorado mountain towing and keeping at 60 mph. It's called the Ike Gauntlet up a 7% incline.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=us6d5R1q23U
I have made a few trips up this pass living in colorado the last few years. Both my enclosed trailer with sxs and 4 snowmobiles on a flatbed. I just set the cruise for whatever the speed limit is out there, 55 I think. The truck will run 4000 or 4500 rpm all the way up the pass with no issues. Oil temps do get pretty warm by the top, I've seen up to 265 which made me slow down a bit. It's still not WOT though at those rpms, the truck will still accelerate if you put your foot into it. The biggest problem toward the top is the air gets so thin you lose a ton of power, so passing and accelerating is pretty tough even with the 8 speed. Temps are usually pretty cool up there though which I think helps. The same relative climb from sea level would probably see much higher temps in the truck.