Overhead Console Hanging Down on one Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Replacing bad factory Leds in map lights, I had a great deal of trouble pulling my console down. One brass clip pulled through the plastic backing panel above. The other clip seems to have half pulled through and became somewhat distorted.

Now one clip will seat and the other slot in the plastic backing is now too big. The console sags on that side.
Anyone have suggestions on reseating a clip where the receiving slot is now too large? It's a lousy design.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Replacing bad factory Leds in map lights, I had a great deal of trouble pulling my console down. One brass clip pulled through the plastic backing panel above. The other clip seems to have half pulled through and became somewhat distorted.

Now one clip will seat and the other slot in the plastic backing is now too big. The console sags on that side.
Anyone have suggestions on reseating a clip where the receiving slot is now too large? It's a lousy design.
Can you post pictures? I have spare overhead parts I'd send you for free if I have them (you pay shipping).

OP
OP
E

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any thoughts if one clip is not engaging due to its slot being wallowed out?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any thoughts if one clip is not engaging due to its slot being wallowed out?
Not yet. I'll have to dig up the parts I have to see what you may be referring to. In addition, the console can be pulled down in multiple inner/outer sections so without a picture to reference I'll have to see if I can find the parts in my shop. I'll try to get them our tomorrow.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

BOTH of my map lights went in my 2014 Laramie... dealer told me I have to replace the entire console. Are you saying i can just replace the LED lights?

OP
OP
E

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the dealer is correct, he is saying that you must have Led lights. Look through your clear map light lenses, and see if there's a bulb in there, or what you might barely make out as a small flat led.

If it's led, you can buy the everbright leds on Amazon, 5 for $11, follow the you tube video on them and you are all set. It's not a direct bulb or led 1 for 1 replacement so you have to use an included cable and socket adapter. https://youtu.be/O28Y_5hx_sw

The OEM Ram LED light console for $250 is junk. I've replaced mine twice, and won't waste my time again, plus the everbrite leds are 5x brighter.

OP
OP
E

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For gwilburn, attached is a pic likely similar to the backside of my maplight console.

This shows 4 brass mounting clips ( I didn't remember but 2 clips on mine,) but you'll get the idea.

In my 1500, pulling straight down, it wallowed out the slots above that the clips grab, and so 1 side hangs down.

I see in Mopar parts drawings, the backing plate is a large black plastic piece that appears to screw to the roof, above the headliner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-163223_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-163223_eBay.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
BOTH of my map lights went in my 2014 Laramie... dealer told me I have to replace the entire console. Are you saying i can just replace the LED lights?
I'm pretty sure under the factory LED lights is a 194 bulb. I used these lower profile ones in the factory LED enclosure if memory serves.

Cutequeen 8PCS LED Car Lights Bulb White T10 2835 4-SMD 80 Lumens 194 168 (pack of 8) https://a.co/d/hyzCNgr

It requires that you separate the factory led from the reflector/lens to replace. I eventually swapped it to the factory incandescent housing so I could use larger/brighter red LEDs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_165210.jpg
    IMG_20220613_165210.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
E

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so based on what Sitkneebend said there must be 2 solutions if you currently have Led lights.

You can use the everbrite ultra bright 9 or 12 led flat panels on Amazon and they come with the t10 socket adapter with small harness.

Or likely use the Cutequeen led lamps which must be very low profile. Either way you'll have to split open the OEM led fixture as shown in the video. Then from what Sitkneebend is saying it sounds like that low profile bulb will replace a burned out Oem led, and you plug it directly in the same way the original did.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am pretty much lost when it comes to electricity & electronics

BUT

Remember one thing, you mentioned the dealership told you that you need to buy a complete unit, that you can't buy parts & pieces.

I think you meant that the Service Assistant that writes up your invoice at the Service Department made that statement, not the dealership, or Ram

The Service Assistant acts like a friend, but he is a Salesman, first & foremost.

If they were really a friend, they would direct you to the Parts Department, they have a couple of paper catalogs & everything available from Ram is online.

Like the SA will also tell you that the door mirrors glass is not available, that you need to buy a complete mirror. That is a straight out lie, the Parts Dept has many mirror parts in stock

OP
OP
E

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here is a sketch and a pic which I believe show the backup plate or bracket that the clips on the overhead console plug into.

My problem is the dealer tech wallowed out my slots so one clip won't catch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-084825_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-084825_Google.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220614-084430_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-084430_eBay.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I am pretty much lost when it comes to electricity & electronics

BUT

Remember one thing, you mentioned the dealership told you that you need to buy a complete unit, that you can't buy parts & pieces.

I think you meant that the Service Assistant that writes up your invoice at the Service Department made that statement, not the dealership, or Ram

The Service Assistant acts like a friend, but he is a Salesman, first & foremost.

If they were really a friend, they would direct you to the Parts Department, they have a couple of paper catalogs & everything available from Ram is online.

Like the SA will also tell you that the door mirrors glass is not available, that you need to buy a complete mirror. That is a straight out lie, the Parts Dept has many mirror parts in stock
Uh, no... this is very small town dealer. I was talking to the parts/service manager that I've known for years. The same guy who told me to get aftermarket ball joints because Ram only sells the lower assembly (one example).
I can call him and he'll give me details over the phone on how to fix things myself instead of bringing it into the dealer. He will also tell me when to bring it's a PITA and I should bring it in.
The service here is why I'll never buy a vehicle anywhere else.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is a sketch and a pic which I believe show the backup plate or bracket that the clips on the overhead console plug into.

My problem is the dealer tech wallowed out my slots so one clip won't catch.
You could probably build up the damaged opening with layered pieces of electrical tape to tighten it up again. It might pull out the next time you take it down but you could just repeat the process.

In addition, you can access almost everything you need to by removing the inner portion of the bezel and not the outer so this could be a permanent fix unless you need to remove the headliner for some reason.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Tape won't replace the wallowed out brass clips. Without them there's nothing to attach the outer console to.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make an S shape hook that could catch the backup panel on top and hook the console, hopefully keeping it fairly secure?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
replacing overhead console 2016 Ram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2i9vtrOV4U by the way, there are replaceable bulbs now.

The old ones are almost impossible to remove, but
if you buy some of those 4 or 5 inch Zip Ties, make a loop, slip the loop over the bulb, tighten the loop & pull straight down

Last edited: