Overheat/ coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my ram nearly stranded us today. Had been off and on smelling coolant since yesterday(9 hours driven yesterday) but I checked the overflow this morning and it was fine. We were towing our travel trailer on this trip and all morning it was fine. About 2 hours from home coolant started heating up to 240f all of a sudden. Pulled off to check on it and overflow was empty. I refilled it with distilled water as the station didn't have the oat coolant but a soon as I started driving it overheated almost right away. I called aaa to tow the truck at that point and had a friend ready to come get the trailer for me but then decided to try adding water directly to the radiator. That got it cooling properly and I canceled the tow limped to my friends house 30 miles from there. Looked more closely and got some proper oat coolant in case I need another fill and decided we could make it home. At my friend's house we could see evidence of a leak but it wasn't dripping on the ground. I made it home the last 90 miles no issue but once home the leak is more evident. It's somewhere on the passenger side of the motor but hard to tell where. There's red coolant all over on that side. I will be calling the dealer Monday as it still has powertrain warranty for 1500 more miles and it also has busted exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side they will need to fix.

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20210801_075301.jpghere's where most of the coolant seems to be leaking but it's quite a mess. Pic from below and above. 20210801_082414.jpg

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't see any hoses leaking and it really looks like it's leaking from the head gasket or the head. Lots of fun. At least if that's the case it should be covered. Will have to take it in tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well... no one has replied but probably because this issue isn't common. In case anyone is interested... just got the call from the dealer. The leak IS the head gasket. It might also need a new head which they will check when they disassemble. It will be covered by powertrain which I am very thankful for(1500 miles left on warranty), but it looks like I'll be without the truck for a bit especially if they need to order a new head. They'll also fix the exhaust manifold bolts while they have it in which is good as they confirmed that was why it was ticking.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that your truck being down is a good thing, BUT at least U were still under warranty. My "3/36" ran out on 1 Aug, I bought MY 19 on 1 Aug 2018. I do have a "dealership warranty" good for 2 more years (powertrain good for 2 more also), and I just bought a MAX care, so I am OK for 5 more years. At 8 years, I would prob get another truck, LOL.

HECK< let em fix all that stuff, so at least U R on the good side/numbers of warranty. Luck stayed on yer side,. always a good thing.

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Head to awhile to come in but they got it in and installed yesterday. Truck is good as new again! I won't miss the renegade loaner I had. It wasn't all bad but it was just too small and gutless.