Overheat ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
FYI not on my RAM but my son's Honda Civic, BIT operation of a enginde is the same so firured you gear heads !
Had to dro car off at a garage . No history with them other then dropping off cars from the auction ! But seem OK
Car was overheating ,he pulled over, Temp pegged on the needle and would not restart for a few minutes! Cooled down checked antifreeze ,lucky garage was a mile away.
They changed T stat and when he talked to them they said radiator hose came off twice ! :O I assume a pressure issue !
I googled symptom's Found Possible T sat ! But changed so not that !
Radiator cap bad not relieving pressure !
And Head Gasket
So what are your thoughts? He will get a call tomorrow so interesting to know as much as I can when they call him!

Thanks

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could definitely be head gasket. Hopefully he didn't warp a cylinder head with it getting hot to the point of not starting.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Could definitely be head gasket. Hopefully he didn't warp a cylinder head with it getting hot to the point of not starting.
Thanks for the reply. After he stopped for a few minutes he saw the temp up, after that it would not start, he let it sit and then started right up with no issues ! But yea I hop it is not the head gasket

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
How old is the Honda and was this sudden or has it been getting worse over time? Maybe the water pump is toast or the radiator is plugged up and needs flushed or cleaned out?

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
How old is the Honda and was this sudden or has it been getting worse over time? Maybe the water pump is toast or the radiator is plugged up and needs flushed or cleaned out?
Thanks for the reply ! The Civic is a 2008 . As far as I know he has not had issues ! He never paid attention to the temp gauge so it may have been going on for awhile. Got a tex back and the garage is going to replace the radiator ! But I question that fix! Will see, When I googled the symptoms it said , Radiator cap. T Stat or bad head gasket! SO a radiator causing the issue I have my doubts ! Will see

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If he had a leak there may be air in the system and the car needs to be burped.

Run the car with a full fill of coolant on a small incline, nose pointed uphill, with the cap removed. Let the car idle to the point that the tstat opens and the coolant begins to flow. Any air trapped in the system should bubble out.

Oh, and get some new hoses.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it got so hot it wouldn't start You probably blew a head gasket or warped the head. Ask if they have the equipment to do a block leak test.
Basically it is a chemical that turns color if you are getting combustion gasses into your cooling system.
With coolant pressure getting so high it blew a hose off, a new radiator cap isn't a bad idea, but they need to do a block leak test, a blown head gasket or warped head will pump combustion gasses and pressure into the cooling system it will blow hoses off even with a good cap, the cap cant blow off pressure fast enough

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If it got so hot it wouldn't start You probably blew a head gasket or warped the head. Ask if they have the equipment to do a block leak test.
Basically it is a chemical that turns color if you are getting combustion gasses into your cooling system.
With coolant pressure getting so high it blew a hose off, a new radiator cap isn't a bad idea, but they need to do a block leak test, a blown head gasket or warped head will pump combustion gasses and pressure into the cooling system it will blow hoses off even with a good cap, the cap cant blow off pressure fast enough
Thanks I'll ask

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

The chemical test you're referring to is a hydrocarbon test. (HC) The fluid used changes color when it comes in contact with HC. I'd like to think the shop would do this without being asked to do so. It should be a routine test given the reason they are looking at the car.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would think so too, but who knows. I thought the chemical reacts to (CO) carbon monoxide

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
THANK YOU all for your input !!! This is what I wanted to know and your opinions are a great help to a non gear head like me ! :) I will ask if they did that test tomorrow or Thursday when I take my son down to get his car

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Got an update? Just curious of what they found. I tackled something similar on a friends Acura awhile back and it wasn't fun.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Got an update? Just curious of what they found. I tackled something similar on a friends Acura awhile back and it wasn't fun.
Sorry forgot to Update ! He got his car back today ! It was the radiator. The way I understand it plugged up. How bad ? enough to reduce flow I guess ! All is fine and Thank you every for you input !

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Considering the many alternatives you lucked out lol sweet deal

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My guess is radiator and water pump

- The Blue Mule

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My guess is radiator and water pump

- The Blue Mule
So far it is just looking like a gummed up radiator. Day 2 no issues :) .

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles did he have on the Honda? That's why its a good idea to flush that radiator and change the coolant out sooner rather than later. I think on these newer RAM's its like 10 years/150K miles. I might go 6-7 years and 100K but that's about as far as I would want to push it personally.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
How many miles did he have on the Honda? That's why its a good idea to flush that radiator and change the coolant out sooner rather than later. I think on these newer RAM's its like 10 years/150K miles. I might go 6-7 years and 100K but that's about as far as I would want to push it personally.
I know he has way over 100k on it and I am sure it was never flushed :O