Overlanding Build - 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory lsd is actually quite capable for what it is. I have plans to swap to an Eaton trutrac in the future as a full locker is more than what I’ll need. I like having the limited slip capabilities as here in Florida it’s beneficial when raining where an open diff with the locker is less than ideal. I’ve been watching for someone to make a bulletproof front diff replacement but may be out of luck on that. Curious about the gen 5 diff comparably to the gen 4 diff on reliability.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The factory lsd is actually quite capable for what it is. I have plans to swap to an Eaton trutrac in the future as a full locker is more than what I’ll need. I like having the limited slip capabilities as here in Florida it’s beneficial when raining where an open diff with the locker is less than ideal. I’ve been watching for someone to make a bulletproof front diff replacement but may be out of luck on that. Curious about the gen 5 diff comparably to the gen 4 diff on reliability.
I think i read somewhere that ARB had some imput on the elocker in the 5th Gens,but don't remember where i read it though.The OP has a 2011 by the looks of his avatar,so he might still have the early AAM front diff instead of the later ZF front diff,which gives him a few more options as far re-gearing goes

OP
OP
coloradoe9x

coloradoe9x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bullet proofing everything is definitely top of the list everyone :) As far as a full kit vs piecing things together, while I do agree, I love tinkering with things. My BMW build is full of mismatched parts that I've done research into weather or not they'd compliment each other. So far nothings gone wrong! Ha. This a new realm for me though.

Lockers would be great, have been doing some research on that. Have considered 4.10s for gearing but we'll see. If I could get in a single axle thatd be the cherry on top. Speaking of axles, I just finished my level. Sometime recently my passenger cv boot completely sheered in half, while the drivers is also starting to tear. Time to look into upgrades for that now.

And yessir it is a 2011 with the 5 spd. Ill have to do some research on it its axle as I believe it changed with the facelift in 13' or 14'.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is pretty much what you described you're after. I drive all of the Western states & highway performance is as important to me as off-highway. Weekends are short and making good time is imperative.
I hate to say this but I'm extra not interested in taking my time to type out the build and rationale for people around here to criticize everything I've done - the truck speaks for itself I've had it almost eight years and if I did something wrong it sure isn't exhibiting any consequences.
If you have any specific questions I'll answer them, probably.

1670479248228.png1670479488842.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Overlanding seems to be popular with some people. I have yet to see a place in North America where it really applies. Other continents like Africa and Australia have plenty of places where the concept makes sense. Where exactly does one go overlanding in the US?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got the better front diff that for sure. ;) The Gen 4 front diff is a massive POS.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I say let the hater’s hate post your pics if it’s a good build people will like it. If they don’t whatever who cares if it’s a good idea you can expect likes and people to copy and maybe improve it.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Overlanding seems to be popular with some people. I have yet to see a place in North America where it really applies. Other continents like Africa and Australia have plenty of places where the concept makes sense. Where exactly does one go overlanding in the US?
Lots of different wildlife management areas have campsites around them which makes for a nice off-road day and camping then move on to another area. Not so much the same overlanding or backpacking style in some areas though. Im in Florida and it’s not the best but still decent. Just to many people which ruins the adventure feel.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just sleep on the ground in my Military issued sleeping bag by the fire. The only peice of kit that was worth keeping when I retired, and my Woobie ( we call them Ranger blankets in the Communist kenuckistan regime ) ;) :dogpile:

Setting up tents take way to long and when you're drunk enough its never needed.

Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Where we camp sleeping out in the open might not be a good idea. Pretty sure a grizzly bear could unwrap a human burrito lol. And nobody wants a hung over grizzly bear.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 2 boom sticks by the fire and 2 in the truck when we go camping. :cool:

I used to also bring my semi-auto hater repellant stick, but the gestapo decided that it was now illegal. Because woke ******* that **** sitting down think guns are the problem.

Ive open fire camped in northern BC ;) Didn't sleep verry well :cool:

Also did some camping while serving in the Artic. we had the PTEs standing watch with shotguns and bear bangers while the Polar Bears just hung out in the distance. lol...

I was actually more worried about the Cougars on the Island when I used to go camping on Mt Washington when I was posted to Esq. Those cocksuckers will ambush you and you wont see it coming.

PXL_20220415_153430776.MP.jpg
I was

Attachments

• 20200516_173100.jpg
    20200516_173100.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Few people really travel off-road in North America. Mostly they just travel on crummy roads. It is not like driving across Mauritania when you have to hire someone to navigate by the stars across hundreds of square miles of sand.

What's with the armory? I thought the subject was overlanding.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Not many bears in wainwright coyotes maybe. The average person in Canada doesn’t have guns like that. In fact the average Canadian doesn’t have any guns at all hence the low murder rate even a lot of the criminals don’t have guns