Overnight oil pressure drop, Quick Fix!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a big shout out to the folks on this forum. Out of the blue when going to work yesterday I noticed my oil pressure about 5 Psi lower than normal. It stayed that way even warmed up. A quick search and some reading on here and quite a few folks said change the oil filter. I did this afternoon and the oil pressure is normal again. Its weird that the night before it was normal and over night it changed. I am guessing a failed filter as theres only 2000 miles on a fluid and filter change. I have been using the Fram ultra Gold filter with good service but I am rethinking that one and gonna use WIX XP from now on. Thanks to you all!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is a big shout out to the folks on this forum. Out of the blue when going to work yesterday I noticed my oil pressure about 5 Psi lower than normal. It stayed that way even warmed up. A quick search and some reading on here and quite a few folks said change the oil filter. I did this afternoon and the oil pressure is normal again. Its weird that the night before it was normal and over night it changed. I am guessing a failed filter as theres only 2000 miles on a fluid and filter change. I have been using the Fram ultra Gold filter with good service but I am rethinking that one and gonna use WIX XP from now on. Thanks to you all!
I know it’s a bit late ,but do you remember what number it was that failed . Thanks Vern.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was an XG10060 the gold painted filter. I have used them with No trouble for years. I cut it open and it wasnt that dirty, no metal flakes and all looked ok. It just had a problem as I am still on the same oil and the filter I put on with no issues. I dont put a lot miles on my truck. May have been a fluke, just a little disconcerting with the cost of repairs and such.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It was an XG10060 the gold painted filter. I have used them with No trouble for years. I cut it open and it wasnt that dirty, no metal flakes and all looked ok. It just had a problem as I am still on the same oil and the filter I put on with no issues. I dont put a lot miles on my truck. May have been a fluke, just a little disconcerting with the cost of repairs and such.
Did you check the bypass valve ?

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did and the parts looked ok. But all that comes apart when you open the filter and if something was off kilter you couldnt tell. The anti drainback and the bypass seals were not torn. I have no Idea what happened but it had to be the filter as a new one fixed it. I have never had this happen before so no clue.

akvanden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 1500 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to me yesterday on my 2015. Was just starting a 300 mile trip and notice my oil PSI was down to about 45 while driving around 70mph (typically in low 50s). By end of trip PSI was down to 40 doing 70 mph! Was using same Fram Ultra filter you were - XG10060. Was 3,200 miles into oil change. Stopped at local Autozone and got their STP xl filter (no clue if any good) and changed out this morning. Was at 42 psi when I pulled into garage, went up to 55 once I changed and pulled out of garage. Clearly defective.

Think I'm changing to WIX from now on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
oil filter thread

the last 20-30 pages shows you might want to rethink that wix xp. yes it likely wont clog or stiffen up like paper filters do, but it also isnt very good at filtering. We just post the facts, your choice, gl. At 50 microns literally every filter traps that size 99% except wix xp.

51876124149_fc895001db_c-jpg.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even worse as you see smaller size particles, it doesnt filter at all, as in near zero % effective when every other filter captures most small particles.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Same thing happened to me yesterday on my 2015. Was just starting a 300 mile trip and notice my oil PSI was down to about 45 while driving around 70mph (typically in low 50s). By end of trip PSI was down to 40 doing 70 mph! Was using same Fram Ultra filter you were - XG10060. Was 3,200 miles into oil change. Stopped at local Autozone and got their STP xl filter (no clue if any good) and changed out this morning. Was at 42 psi when I pulled into garage, went up to 55 once I changed and pulled out of garage. Clearly defective.

Think I'm changing to WIX from now on.
Wix let me down today. I am in upper Washington state with the camper. I needed an oil change and being in a remote area I purchased the materials 200 miles away, took them to a small town and had a local shop change the oil. The wix filter I bought could not be screwed onto the truck. Close inspection showed the factory threads were bad and filter could not be used. No more wix for me. I called the company customer service and they acted pissed off because I would bother them with such a trivial problem.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
oil filter thread

the last 20-30 pages shows you might want to rethink that wix xp. yes it likely wont clog or stiffen up like paper filters do, but it also isnt very good at filtering. We just post the facts, your choice, gl. At 50 microns literally every filter traps that size 99% except wix xp.

View attachment 496640
Burla

How does the factory Mopar filter do in these tests? Thanks.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burlap

How does the factory Mopar filter do in these tests? Thanks.
last week we finally figured out mopar filters both srt and regular are rebranded wix, so bottom of the barrel in filtering. See oil filter thread for more info/

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
last week we finally figured out mopar filters both srt and regular are rebranded wix, so bottom of the barrel in filtering. See oil filter thread for more info/
Thanks, but that sucks. Aren't NAPA GOLD just rebranded WIX TOO. Going to have to get some filters to take to the dealer.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My go to filters were:

1. Wix XP - efficiency not great but flows like cray
2. Fram Ultra - great efficiency; oil pressure funky if you try to run it past 5K
3. Purolator BOSS - found out that 8,700 miles is the limit before you run into oil pressure issues (lost 5-10 PSI).
4. Mobil 1 - no issues whatsoever. I think this will be my go-to filter from now on!

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just changed out my oil and filter that started this post. I went with a wix xp but had it on before I saw burlas post so I am gonna change it out to an RP. But one change I did was try the PUP EURO 0w40/ with two cans liqumoly Mos2. Man what a difference in engine noise. My HEMI never been real loud but this made a big difference. Even piston slap is lighter. I am gonna monitor piston slap as cold weather gets here so we will see long term what happens with this oil. I had enough of the watery 5w20.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mopar filter for me.. truck is still under powertrain warranty, and the Mopar filter is actually cheaper than aftermarket.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
oil filter thread

View attachment 496640
Is there a chart like this for the synthetic oil filters by K and N and the Mobil 1

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is there a chart like this for the synthetic oil filters by K and N and the Mobil 1
I imagine there is somewhere, but I have not seen it. Of course k&n is paper and m1 is combo paper and spun glass. Both finished top 5 in gm test. However, fram ultra and royal purple finished above them, which is only one reason they are popular here. Even though k&n finished top 5 in filtering, that test was with a fresh filter, spun glass retains it's rating throughout the interval, paper goes stiff and goes to bypass, literally a rock or pebble could go through. They only tested 3 100% spun glass filters, and they finished 1,2,3, as in nothing gets through, and they only tested one combo which was the m1 and it finished 4th. So I really don't understand the argument for combo filters, you pay more then paper, but that paper can still go stiff with oil heat cycles. Mise well just buy spun glass? I think guys running combo or paper should be cutting those open in long intervals and post that in syn thread.
'