P0038 02 sensor code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an o2 sensor code throw a couple weeks back when it was negative 30 windchill. P0038 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2. It didn't go away when it warmed up. I replaced the 02 sensor and it didn't go away. Comes back right away when cleared. No issues with the way the truck ones. The old 02 sensor probably only had 20k to 30k miles on it.

Maybe it's a short? Anybody have any experience with certain spots within the wiring that may be prone to shorting? Or maybe it could be something else that I couldn't seem to find on the googles?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody know if antifoulers would help with this at all? I took them out when I swapped the sensors last because the antifoulers didn't help

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue currently. I have Sean tuning my truck and he said it’s a wiring issue as I don’t have cats and the truck 02 sensors are tuned out for the long tube headers. I have to get out there and check the wiring/connectors. Mine was on a week ago or so with these -30 temps here and it went out by itself. Came back on lastnight so I’m going to check the connectors/wiring harness.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
S
I have the same issue currently. I have Sean tuning my truck and he said it’s a wiring issue as I don’t have cats and the truck 02 sensors are tuned out for the long tube headers. I have to get out there and check the wiring/connectors. Mine was on a week ago or so with these -30 temps here and it went out by itself. Came back on lastnight so I’m going to check the connectors/wiring harness.
Sounds like the same setup I have and triggered at the same time lol. Mine hasn't gone off. Let me know what you find please.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I learned something today. My 02 sensors are not wireless Bluetooth. I'm a dumbazz and forgot to plug it in lol. All good on my end for now haha. Still curious what you find.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unhooked the 1/2 02 sensor wire extension and found a rip in the wire loom. Cleaned the ends, patched the hole up and threw it back on, running better and the engine light is gone now. I also unplugged the 02 sensor connector behind the CAI by PCM and cleaned that.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody know if antifoulers would help with this at all? I took them out when I swapped the sensors last because the antifoulers didn't help
Just something that may work better with anti-foulers, throw in steel drain mesh (pot grubber) into the fouler when you use those, works better. I tried without and with stainless steel mesh until I got a tune for the headers.