P0123 failures over and over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cassa89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I've owned my 2000 1500 since April and it's been into my mechanic 5 times for issues with a P0123 code. Each time, the check engine light comes on and the truck runs really rough. It idles high and wants to die over and over when driving.

The first three times they replaced the throttle position sensor, but 2-6 weeks later the issue comes back again. They finally replaced the CPU and the sensor thinking the CPU was the root issue and was frying the sensors. However, 7 weeks later the same exact thing has happened and it's again throwing a P0123 code.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what did you find was the issue? I'm ready to call it quits with this truck as I have zero trust in it.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Do you know if they inspected the wiring and connector? Sounds like a short

OP
OP
cassa89

cassa89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up the truck from the mechanic. He said they found the PCU (which was replaced about a month ago) was found to be the problem (again) as it was throwing odd voltage. He also checked the wiring and said everything looked great. Truck is running great now with a new PCU and sensor, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before it happens again. At this point, I'm ready to trade it off.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay on the horse, Components fail, harsh weather is a problem and different temps.

OP
OP
cassa89

cassa89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After speaking with another mechanic, the feeling is there's absolutely a short somewhere causing the PCU (and then the TPS) to fail/fry over and over. The problem is finding where the short is. All of the visible wiring was previously checked, and corrosive wiring was replaced, but the problem remains. I felt the mechanic was being honest when he said these issues can be needle in a haystack, and he's at a loss of what to do next.

Anyone have any ideas? Time for a new truck? lol

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wondering if you ever got this resolved? I’m not a mechanic and had lots of trouble with my 2000 5.9 1500, UNTIL I FOUND THE RIGHT MECHANIC. It now runs fantastic and has for over a year. A “performance” mechanic is worth finding. The dealership had me scrapping this beautiful old truck five years ago.

OP
OP
cassa89

cassa89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey! I'm a bit late to respond, but I'll provide the update none the less.

After it threw another TPS, I ended up taking the truck to a different (well respected) private mechanic in my area and he said there was most definitely a short somewhere and that the previous mechanics were simply replacing the band-aid over and over again by replacing TPS and PCUs. He also said these electrical issues CAN lead to a pretty hefty price tag if they're hard to find. I ended up selling the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956