P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 and I’ve had my truck for about 3 years never had anything wrong with it. So about 1 year ago I changed the spark plugs and gaped them and also put new coils in. Even thought there was nothing wrong with the factory ones I took out. So for the past two days I been going and coming for work drive about 100 miles per day for the last month. For my new job. And I’ve noticed that my truck is not accelerating right it starts to bog out the faster I go on the freeway... so I took it to autozone down the street from my house and it says p0301 cylinder 1 misfires and it says it’s the spark plug or the coil... too many misfire detected. That it might be the 1 coil... and he says that I have to buy a new coil to see if it will fix the problem... BUT HE SAID MIGHT... or it can be a blown cylinder... so I went home and disconnected the coil and took out spark plugs and everything seem fine. I used a little wire brush to clean the little bit of debris. I put everything back together thinking that a connection or the coil might be loose... and I test drove it and same ****... still fills the same

CC10ED7D-1438-48ED-89A7-2A71035E761E.jpeg

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had a similar issue on #8. Turned out mine was actually a broken valve spring. Could possibly be a bad coil, hopefully it came with a warranty. I’d start by checking those two things....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It could also be a clogged fuel injector. You need fuel, air, and spark for an engine to run. Take any one of those away in any cylinder and you will get a misfire code. It could also be a broken/bent valve, lifter that are into the cam, bad ignition coil, or broken valve spring. There are more things than just that ignition coil. Try swapping the coil to a different cylinder to see if the code changes to the other cylinder. If so, then the coil is bad. If not, you still have a problem in that cylinder. Most Auto parts workers aren’t mechanics and shouldn’t be trusted 100%. I say that being an once certified, professionally trained, and experienced mechanic as well as an ex auto parts store employee. Even I bit my tongue at times when there were more than one possible cause for that issue.

OP
OP
Miguel smith

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I Push down on the pearl it feels like it’s bogging out like the engine is getting flooded

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Or, if you pull the oil dipstick out, do you smell a lot of gas on the dipstick?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Come on guys, it’s a 2011 5.7 Hemi with a misfire that isn’t a normal ignition or fuel fix(swapped injector and stayed with cylinder).

hmmm...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like cam isn't hitting the lifters, which means cam swap and new lifters. That is what happens to these, it surely isn't a blown whatever the guy said. Can I ask what oil you were running? Swap coils and plugs with #1 and whatever is easiest, that will tell the story. If you get 1 misfire after that, chances are lifters.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to be a downer but 2011 is known for lifter failures that could cause this issue... that being said I guess 2018 is too (ask me how I know)

hopefully it’s a simple valve spring or coil. Good luck to you !

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Not to be a downer but 2011 is known for lifter failures that could cause this issue... that being said I guess 2018 is too (ask me how I know)

hopefully it’s a simple valve spring or coil. Good luck to you !

Your ‘18 locked up a roller? First I’ve heard past a real early ‘16...

Intriguing, it’s feasible they didn’t quarantine all old lifter inventory and had an escape.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Come on guys, it’s a 2011 5.7 Hemi with a misfire that isn’t a normal ignition or fuel fix(swapped injector and stayed with cylinder).

hmmm...

Tim, why not start with the simple and quick stuff instead of going straight for the worst case scenarios?? Is there harm in swapping the ignition coil from 1 cylinder to the other?? Or smelling for fuel that wasn’t burned when the piston compressed it in the cylinder?? Or are you always doom and gloom and the engine just needs to be replaced?? Use the KISS method and start simple. It could be the lifter and cam or a valve and spring, but let’s try simple tests first and not tell him he needs a new engine right off the bat. I’m not saying you are wrong but let’s think cheaper easier fixes first and then dig deeper.

OP
OP
Miguel smith

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I check the oil frist cause the way it felt was like if it had no oil...but I always do my oil every 3k miles so I was like it can’t be...and no I didnt smell gas in the oil I smelt gas when I took the spark plugs out

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So it’s possible that the spark plug isn’t firing then. Was the tip of the spark plug very white?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Tim, why not start with the simple and quick stuff instead of going straight for the worst case scenarios?? Is there harm in swapping the ignition coil from 1 cylinder to the other?? Or smelling for fuel that wasn’t burned when the piston compressed it in the cylinder?? Or are you always doom and gloom and the engine just needs to be replaced?? Use the KISS method and start simple. It could be the lifter and cam or a valve and spring, but let’s try simple tests first and not tell him he needs a new engine right off the bat. I’m not saying you are wrong but let’s think cheaper easier fixes first and then dig deeper.

I’d consider pulling a valve cover or cutting open your oil filter the KISS method on anything ‘09-‘15 with a misfire.

edit- if properly maintained

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your ‘18 locked up a roller? First I’ve heard past a real early ‘16...

Intriguing, it’s feasible they didn’t quarantine all old lifter inventory and had an escape.

Don’t know for sure yet the dealer has it . They said I needed new lifters and cam. I had a low idle tick on cold start. They heard something else that I didn’t but their master tech made the call. apparently they are getting quite a few of the newer trucks in.

OP
OP
Miguel smith

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Elevated13 thanks! I’ll try swapping the coils.

But idc if the engines **** I got an extended warranty that I pay $100 deductible that will fix anything wrong with my truck

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I hope it isn’t, would never wish a cam/lifter replacement on anyone. Unfortunately FCA is still hiding under the table while consumers wait months for $2-4K in replacement parts/service without a vehicle they paid 30-70 grand for.