P0308 P0172 Map Sensor Missing Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brokenwings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 with 168,000 miles.

This is meant to be a beater that I purchased very cheap as is, the owner gave me a paper from an innova OBD2 scan tool that showed a code P0308, with a recommended fix of "repair engine wiring harness".

The truck starts and runs but it smells gassy. After replacing the battery I used a cheap chinese scan tool that I got off amazon and now I have P0172. I imagine the P0172 is just a generic rich code and the scan tool I have is just giving surface information, so its possible it will eventually throw P0308 again. and that is a more specific code related to the problem?

I checked the air filter and then went to clean the MAP sensor and noticed it has a wire missing

map2.jpg

At this junction I'm assuming it's just running without a MAP sensor reading.

Would it be possible to just replace this specific connector, or would this indicate I need a new engine wiring harness?

Open to any suggestions as to where to start.

Thanks!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing your showing in the picture is not a map sensor thats a coil has right amount of wires. The map sensor is in the front of the intake manifold behind alternator/ac compressor near coolant temp sensor. I would have someone check out the live data when its running with a real scan tool 02 sensors map ect is the truck missfiring at all?

Amartinez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By any chance did you ever find out how to solve this issue? I'm having the same problem with P0172 and P0308.