P0335, P0339, U1428 Limp Mode, Power Loss, Hard Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Hobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, searched for info on these three codes and found very little info other than descriptions, etc, so I thought I would post what I experienced and what I did to correct it, I think.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab 4x4 that I bought new in 2019. This was the first new vehicle I have bought for myself in decades. At 34K miles and about 3 months out of warranty I have had zero problems until this week when I went to remote start the vehicle and it seemed to shut off when I wasn't nearby. Aprox two minutes maybe. At first I thought low gas as this has happened before but the truck tells you the start was cancelled because low gas, plus the gauge.

When I tried to manually start it again, the starter engaged for about 5-7 seconds and the truck started and was running really rough. Check engine light and TCS off lights were on as well. I checked to make sure that someone hadn't messed with my catalytic converter since I recently had one stolen off my Honda Element. I found no loose wires or anything else on visual inspection. I read about limp mode and thought I would try to get it down the road about a mile to Orielly's Auto Parts for a code check. Drove it there. It had very limited power and probably would not go faster than 35-40 mph. I checked that the gears would shift from the steering wheel control and they seemed to work properly.

Orielly's ran the codes and they were:
U1428 Torque Request Signal
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor
P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent

Never been a dealer fan but timing of this was not great so I scheduled with the local dealer I bought the truck from. Soonest appointment was next Tuesday(5 days away) they would need the truck for 3-4 days to run a diagnostic check with 1 hour of labor at $175. So I thought I would rule some simple stuff out and if I could not find the problem I would very reluctantly take it to the dealer so they could guess at a higher price.

I found a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) at the local Autozone and bought it along with a simple code reader and reset tool. All in $107. I disconnected the negative side of the battery and went to work. I inspected the wires to the CPS and nothing looked damaged so I removed the old sensor and installed the new one. The hardest part was getting the connector off the sensor. I removed the sensor then removed the plug. After installation, I connected the battery and ran the code. Only the P0335 displayed as a permanent code so I attempted to clear it. I didn't clear, not sure if I used the reset tool properly or what. I attempted to restart the truck and it started immediate with no malfunction lights and I could rev the engine, everything sounded normal. I shut off and ran the code again, no codes, Yeah! I had a warning on the tool that said even thought there were no codes, the whole cycle for the emissions system has not completed so it would probably not pass inspection until it runs a whole cycle. I drove it for the day about 20 miles or so with multiple starts and stops, cruising and highway speeds to see if I could cycle what the computer needed to run to be good to go. When I got home a ran for codes, no codes and all green, cycle complete and ready for emissions test if it was due.

The CPS is a magnet that is a tooth counter, no moving parts, etc. I really did not expect this to be the problem and only time will tell. Today, the truck runs like new, no idiot lights, etc. I will keep my appointment with the dealer just in case my truck changes it mind between Friday and Tuesday.

I am a skeptic that this is fixed the problem but time will tell. I have a little less confidence in my newish truck at this time.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing only replace sensors with OEM, after market ones don't work or last long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta