P0455 Large EVAP Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CycleVIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 2011 Ram 1500 4.7 RWD from the auction. It has a throttle body spacer, K&N CAI and a high flow muffler. It's throwing a P0455 Large EVAP Leak code. I tried replacing the Fuel Cap with a new Mopar one, and cleared the codes but it came back. After doing some research I was considering replacing the ESIM on the tank or the Purge Valve under the battery. Is there any way to test them before buying new parts? I inspected all lines to make sure they were connected and had no cracks/ holes as well. Thanks in advance, sorry if I forgot anything this is my first thread.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd remove the tb spacer and try clearing again.
Also make sure the air sensor grommet is tight in the CAI tube.

And welcome to the forum.:welcome:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it has anything to do with the TB, but I think it's more so your gas tank, gas cap or charcoal canister for your EVAP system.
My 2005 threw this code and I had the gas tank and fuel filter/pump all replaced and it was free of charge because it is an emissions thing.
Good luck!!

apriliaalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just made a homemade evap smoke machine and my leak is coming from above the tank. I still can’t pinpoint where but now I know the the tank must be dropped unless anyone has any ideas for me?
It is clearly not a line, connector or the filler tube. I just learned that there are covers over the fuel pump top so I’m guessing that’s where the leak is and why I could not pinpoint exactly where the smoke was coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There’s rubber elbows on top of tank that split/crack. These are where the emission /fuel hook up on top

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I just made a homemade evap smoke machine and my leak is coming from above the tank. I still can’t pinpoint where but now I know the the tank must be dropped unless anyone has any ideas for me?
It is clearly not a line, connector or the filler tube. I just learned that there are covers over the fuel pump top so I’m guessing that’s where the leak is and why I could not pinpoint exactly where the smoke was coming from.

There is a leak detection pump on the top side rear of the tank.

apriliaalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a leak detection pump on the top side rear of the tank.

Unfortunately it’s not that easy of a fix. I replaced the ldp pump easily on the side of the charcoal filter already. The leak is coming from somewhere around the fuel pump locations atop the tank.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Unfortunately it’s not that easy of a fix. I replaced the ldp pump easily on the side of the charcoal filter already. The leak is coming from somewhere around the fuel pump locations atop the tank.

Right on. List everything you've tried or fixed to this point? This way if we mention possible fixes and you've already tried it we can move forward to help your problem. :cheers:

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've seen and experienced this code can be a PAIN. I had it once and replace the purge solenoid for like $15 and it worked. But from what I've heard it's just a "start replacing parts" type of issue.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
From what I've seen and experienced this code can be a PAIN. I had it once and replace the purge solenoid for like $15 and it worked. But from what I've heard it's just a "start replacing parts" type of issue.

It was for me.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a similar code on my '05 (P0456, small leak). I've replaced every component in the system except for the hard plastic tubing lines, as they are no longer available. Sometimes the code comes back the next day, sometimes it takes a couple months for it to reappear. I haven't dropped the fuel tank yet; I have a suspicion that's where my problem lies.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar code on my '05 (P0456, small leak). I've replaced every component in the system except for the hard plastic tubing lines, as they are no longer available. Sometimes the code comes back the next day, sometimes it takes a couple months for it to reappear. I haven't dropped the fuel tank yet; I have a suspicion that's where my problem lies.
Highly likely.
I had mine done when I owned it A LONG, LONG time ago.
Worked perfectly. Good luck!