P0456 code, small EVAP leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
So I have had a 2016 ram with the 3.6 v6 for a few months. CEL came on a few weeks ago and I checked with AlfaOBD and it showed P0456, I checked my gas cap and cleared code, was trying to see if it came back. Well it did a few days ago. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? I don`t want to throw parts at it.. Thanks guys.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I had the same issue on my 2018 2500 6.4, the same code and eventually the gas cap light came on as well.

I got underneath the truck and started tracing the hard plastic fuel vent lines from the top of the tank. Found that a squirrel or mouse had been chewing the vent line, tore it up pretty good. I cut out the bad section and clamped in a piece of vacuum line, problem solved. ******** chewed through the main propane line on my travel trailer as well- I replaced that and used stainless steel sheathing.

Not sure if your problem is the same but it’s free to check, and if so, a piece of vacuum line is dirt cheap. Auto Zone etc sell it by the foot.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Often it's the gas cap.

bigdodge

Reaction score
I take the gas cap and apply a small amount of vacuum grease to the seal and it stops the code for me

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '16 2500 6.4 has the same code that pops up about once per tank of fuel (seems to be consistently about 3/4 tank). When I bought the truck the code popped up and found an aftermarket gas cap was installed by the PO, presumably because of the code. Went ahead and bought the correct Mopar gas cap as I didn't like the "feel" of the aftermarket when closing and it didn't have the tether on it. Anyway, code kept popping up. The vapor canister purge valve located on the passenger side upper portion of the engine is common issue. While I hate throwing parts at something without 100% verifying it's bad, at $15 and 5 minutes of work I took my chance and replaced mine but issue is still there. When I get time I'll crawl under the truck and do the proper trouble-shooting.....I carry an OBD tool in the truck anyway so just spend 30 seconds every once in awhile to clear the code, and also know that the code is not causing any issues.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make a paint can evap smoker and youll find any leak there is. Look it up on YT. I made mine from there and it works awesome.

afram1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue and it turned out to be the leak detection pump. $20 from autozone on the passenger side frame rail. 10 minutes to swap out.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Maybe unrelated, but are you in the habit of "topping off" when you fill up with gas?
Had that happen on my previous truck and wife's previous car and caused the light to come on.

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take the gas cap and apply a small amount of vacuum grease to the seal and it stops the code for me

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
This worked for me as well. Took the cap of, cleaned the seal and applied a little grease. Code has cleared and did not come back (yet).

AlanWillis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had the same issue on my 2018 2500 6.4, the same code and eventually the gas cap light came on as well.

I got underneath the truck and started tracing the hard plastic fuel vent lines from the top of the tank. Found that a squirrel or mouse had been chewing the vent line, tore it up pretty good. I cut out the bad section and clamped in a piece of vacuum line, problem solved. ******** chewed through the main propane line on my travel trailer as well- I replaced that and used stainless steel sheathing.

Not sure if your problem is the same but it’s free to check, and if so, a piece of vacuum line is dirt cheap. Auto Zone etc sell it by the foot.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealt with that code for 3 years every 7 days or so…CEL. Just kept clearing it with my scanner. Last month put a new fuel cap and a new purge solenoid. No more lights.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
always use the correct Mopar Gas Cap

leak detection pump is located close to the Charcoal Cannister, usually just above it

The Purge Valve on Rams may be almost under the Fuse Box on some older Rams
On newer Rams, it is located under the large hose that runs from the Air Filter Box & the throttle body
If i recall correctly, there is a way to check the Purge Valve, with a strong breath of air, you can YouTube it

I believe that those 3 things are the main cause for your trouble Code

The other reason is usually Rodents