P0481

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Schech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been chasing this code p0481. I know it is fan 2. I have changed the relay by horn. Changed coolant and flushed. My problem is the temperature doesn’t go above 205. When I turn the air conditioner on the electronic fan comes on. The relays in tipm all work. Any suggestions before I buy the tipm?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does your truck have the viscous fan as well or just the electric? If it’s just the electric it’s likely the 2nd stage on the fan isn’t working. They are a 2 speed fan.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There may be 2 relays for the fan, a high speed and a low speed. Did you check for/replace both? I'm not positive there are 2, but its something to look into.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There may be 2 relays for the fan, a high speed and a low speed. Did you check for/replace both? I'm not positive there are 2, but its something to look into.

If it has a high and low fan speed then it will have a relay for the low and high speeds.

broma345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has thrown this code as well, but only when running AC (and ac fan operates when ac is on). Anyone know where the second relay is located?

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any updates. I aldo have code

Changed relay by horn

Truck runs around 200 degrees

If i reset code. Fan comes on with ac runs for 10 seconds shuts off and throws code

Will not come back on untill i reset then does same cyle.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i removed tipm and did recet via you tube. 24 hours.

Pulled all connectors and dielectric

Light came back on

Fan only runs for 10 seconds upon initial startup with ac then clicks off.

Is my last option tipm.

Gotta be a way to diagnose?

Replaced both relays as well

broma345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as i said earlier, I have been bit by the P0481 code and check engine light issue as well. When running w/ out AC, no code, and no check engine light. Turn on the AC and throws a P0481 and the check engine light comes on, but the fan was operating correctly. I also chased fuses, wiring harness, and relays, but all tested fine. I finally got sick of it and had a Mopar tech take a look. Talking to the tech, basically the troubleshooting goes like this. 1) clear codes, then activate AC fan. Codes P0481 and P0694 appear (btw, my code reader did not see P0694, but the tech said the Mopar scanner did). 2) Check the fan high relay or swap it for a known good relay, clear codes, activate fan, code P0481 and P0694 re-appear. 3) Check the fan high speed control circuit for a short to voltage (TIPM C3 Connector to the fan high relay. If no voltage present (circuit not shorted), proceed to 4....... And 4 is replace the TIPM. I opted for a reman tipm, and its been running fine and code free ever since... I hope this helps someone, this one was a pain, and crazy expensive if you have a dealer repair it.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok. Already bought new hig relay.

I will do some more testing.

There is a place online that sells reman tipm and allows a return if does not fix problem for a small restocking fee.

I dont understand what could go wrong in tipm to cause this.

Most tipm issues seem to be fuel pump from what ive read

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did some more ts today

So my fan on uses high circuit i guess as lo circuit terminates in plug 3 in 2 out

At high relay by grill
Constant power were it should be at pin 30

Ignition power at pin 86

If i jump pin 30 to fan 87 fan runs

So issue gotta be on control side pin 85
Tested pin 85 back to tipm ohm out with continuity

So all connection good

Today light came on with no ac on

And it usually triggered at start up

Actually fan turned on today for 10 seconds with no ac and then triggered light which that typical scenario

Also i dont beleive fan should of kicked on. Truck almost cold and cold outside and no ac

I know it points to maybe tipm but most repairs i see are for internal relays on fuel pump

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Options

There a place online thats sells tipm

And if does not fix issue can return for restocking fee

Way i look at it

1 does not fix issue and out restock fee. Still cheaper than bringing to dealer and rules out tipm

2 fixes issue

Thoughts

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry if I missed it, but do those same integrated TIPM relays still come into play if you were to eliminate the mechanical and hemi E-fan and swap to the pentastar E-fan assembly for all the cooling needs?

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So refurbished tipm from maks tipm rebuilders is in.

Well see what happens

Problem is its cold right now so hard to test fans.

Well update. I have 30 days to test and se if it fixed issue. If not send back

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far so good. Fan turned on and off properly today. Will keep testing
And report back

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So to recap.
Did all testing i could on relays and so on

Next move would be to go to dealer and have them diagnose.
Minimum shop rate probs over 100

Maks tipm rebuilders offers an 89 dollar restocking fee if you buy a tipm and it does not solve problem

So for me it was cheaper to try tipm and return then goin to dealer

Followed steps to install

Intiallt everything worked except remote start. Had to drive truck. Then it started working. Guess monitors have to set. Just a lap down highway and back.

No need to go to dealer to program tipm

At this point the tipm fixed issue

No more code and fan turns on .

It does not intantlly turn on with a/c though some say it should. I think theres more to it like engine temp snd outside temp.

All i know is fan kicked on and ran to bring temp down to around 200 as i was letting truck idle

So tipm it was

Cost me 400 buck roughly with core sent back

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
think a recall on tipm and causing problems like fuel relay that's built on circuit board hear a lot of things from it going bad !

romeo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm going thru the same thing. I'm going to test the fan by using fused jumper wires and 12 volts off the battery. With the engine running I can't hear if the E fan is running.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any updates? Same issue...

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, don’t only look into the relay itself, also check the connector it plugs into. I change the relay and no dice, I switched out the connector and used the new relay, worked!