P0571 + Traction Light + Serv 4wd. Can't figure this one out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y'all. I've been trying to solve this one for a while to no avail. I suspect it might be something involving the ABS or wheel speed sensor, but I'm not sure.

Symptoms:
Traction light won't turn off
Traction control doesn't seem to work/works intermittently
Serv 4WD light turns on intermittently
P0571 code won't clear
Occasionally stuck in park (so far hasn't happened since brake switch adjustment, which was only this morning)

Other symptoms:
Sagging e-brake cable
Hemi tick (possible undetected misfire causing insufficient vacuum?)

So far I've tried:
New brake switch
Adjusting brake switch pin length
Clearing codes and disconnecting negative battery terminal for 15 minutes
Checking wheel speed sensors for loose connections

Probably unrelated, but I took it into Les Schwab for an ABS diagnostic. They told me the brake booster rod won't return to the correct position and needs replacing, as well as full brake job. I diagnosed the brake booster following the instructions in the service manual and it appears to be operating correctly. However, right before pulling into the lot, the brakes tightened up and wouldn't let go. I hit the calipers with PB Blaster and they seem fine now. I can't detect any problems with the brakes while driving.

Also, cruise control wasn't working but it appears to be working fine after replacing and adjusting the brake switch. 4WD also appears to work correctly, even while Serv 4WD light is on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
P

pnwguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bumping for visibility. Still haven't figured this one out. I was going to check the wheel speed sensors, but I'm pretty sure my cruise control wouldn't work if I had a bad sensor and my cruise control works fine.

Alan S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had the Service 4wd system light. The dealer replaced the Automatic Transmission Shift Solenoid. All good. Now I have to wait until they find an ABS pump, which is grossly out of stock everywhere!

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might be worth another look at the brake switch, are you sure it’s installed correctly? Does yours have the lever on the side of the switch you have to turn after (and only after) installing?

OP
OP
P

pnwguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might be worth another look at the brake switch, are you sure it’s installed correctly? Does yours have the lever on the side of the switch you have to turn after (and only after) installing?

No lever on the brake switch. I also just checked the brake switch pins for a short and couldn't find one.

OP
OP
P

pnwguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Latest update is that no codes are showing up but the traction light and serv 4wd light are on. Cruise control stopped working again too.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is where taking it to a parts store for a scan could come in real handy. Or if you have an OBD scanner yourself with real-time data collection -- or AlfaOBD, which you can put on an Android phone or PC laptop. Anyway, using real-time data collection you should be able to see by driving it (in the parking lot even) ....which speed sensor is not operating correctly ..if that's indeed the issue. Best is if you can drive up and down the road if the parts guy will let you. Or if they all are operating properly, you can cross wheel sensors off your list of possibilities.

On your e-brakes, you might remove the rear rotors and have a look at your rear emergency brakes. Make sure the mechanism isn't sticking, and they're returning to their 'home' position.

OP
OP
P

pnwguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is where taking it to a parts store for a scan could come in real handy. Or if you have an OBD scanner yourself with real-time data collection -- or AlfaOBD, which you can put on an Android phone or PC laptop. Anyway, using real-time data collection you should be able to see by driving it (in the parking lot even) ....which speed sensor is not operating correctly ..if that's indeed the issue. Best is if you can drive up and down the road if the parts guy will let you. Or if they all are operating properly, you can cross wheel sensors off your list of possibilities.

On your e-brakes, you might remove the rear rotors and have a look at your rear emergency brakes. Make sure the mechanism isn't sticking, and they're returning to their 'home' position.
The store scanners I've used haven't shown wheel speed sensor data. I downloaded the Car Scanner app but that doesn't show the sensors either -- looks like it has every sensor but those.

Does AlfaOBD have wheel sensor data?

Also, good idea on the e brake. The cable hangs low which could mean a seized e brake. I'll remove the e brakes and see what happens.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Latest update is that no codes are showing up but the traction light and serv 4wd light are on. Cruise control stopped working again too.

You need a proper scan tool to see what's actually going on during a live data read