P0740 code went way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2016 ram power wagon I got a p0740 code on a rode trip 3 months ago I clear it so I could use remote start the code came back 2 more times and I cleared the code both times I got back home and I haven’t seen the code in 3 months is it a non issue or should I get a new transmission shift solenoid and replace it

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It probably isn't the selenoid, however that's a good cheap starting point.

Basically your torque converter is loosing rpms when it goes into full or partial lock up and if it exceeds a threshold it triggers the cel. A likely cause is worn valves in your pump which is basically rebuild territory.
My advice is to live with it if the selenoid doesnt fix the issue, just probably going to loose 1-2 mpg of fuel economy because of it, if the light doesnt annoy the hell out of you.

Do you tow alot?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would check level/get the trans fluild and filter changed if you havnt done it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on the truck? Have you ever had the trans fluid changed? Have you checked the level?
While it could just be the solenoid, just keep in mind that codes does not say "the only possible reason for this code is a bad solenoid". What it does say is there is an abnormal signal or operating condition coming from this circuit. Bad wiring, loose connections, a worn out transmission, dirty or low fluid, etc... can all be the cause.