P1524 - Oil Pressure Out Of Range Camshaft Advance / Retard Disable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just putting this here as a learning lesson for me and hope this can find the way to any other hobby mechanic out there trouble shooting this code.

I had replaced my oil at 98k and at 102k, the check engine came on and gave a code P1524. This is a low oil pressure for the MDS system and there isn't enough of oil pressure to engage the system. On my truck, I have MDS disabled with a diablo turner but i guess the system still checks for oil pressure. Idle at a stop sign, I was getting 26 PSI and driving highway, 34 PSI. Engine was warmed up to normal operating temps.I knew this was low as i remember seeing 56 PSI highway and 41 at a stop sign.

I have always used a Wix filter 57060 with Mobile 1 5w20 full synthetic since its first oil change. So searching the forums here and other sites, the first thing i did was change the oil pressure switch located right on the oil pump. No change same deal, Check engine came on after i cleared the codes and drove about 50km.

I then replaced the oil filter with a Wix 57060XP and boom! oil pressures came back to what they should have been. (55 PSI cruising highway, 41 PSI at a stop).
I opened the old filter to see if there was any debris and there was nothing abnormal about it.

I contacted Wix directly and explained the situation and maybe find out they had changed the material in their filters and this is what they had to say:

"Sometimes during an oil change the pickup tube can drain out also and air can become trapped in the system. Once this air moves to a certain position in the oil system,that could cause what you experienced. By changing the oil filter it would have released the air pocket and primed the system. The same result could have been achieved by removing the filter and filling it with oil and putting it right back on the vehicle.

In some cases, it could be the sign of a failing oil pump so that needs to be addressed also.

However, The filter has nothing to do with oil pressure. The pressure regulator in the oil pump
is responsible for keeping the oil pressure in the system at the necessary pressure."

As I don't have the old oil filter because I opened it, I can't test that theory. I also know that the pressure was not low and was normal after the oil change. So if you are reading this, try the above method first and if its still low replace the oil filter.

Technical details of the MDS is the following:

To achieve cam displacement for MDS, the oil pressure in the system needs to be over 41 PSI and needs to maintain 36 PSI. If this can't be attained, the system is disabled and a permanent code is written to the PCM.

Last edited:

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up!
I had the same experience with a K&N filter. Changed to RP and have never seen that code since.

Interesting that they claim filter does not relate to oil pressure, since I, and other users, have noted differences in pressure with different filters.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just putting this here as a learning lesson for me and hope this can find the way to any other hobby mechanic out there trouble shooting this code.

I had replaced my oil at 98k and at 102k, the check engine came on and gave a code P1524. This is a low oil pressure for the MDS system and there isn't enough of oil pressure to engage the system. On my truck, I have MDS disabled with a diablo turner but i guess the system still checks for oil pressure. Idle at a stop sign, I was getting 26 PSI and driving highway, 34 PSI. Engine was warmed up to normal operating temps.I knew this was low as i remember seeing 56 PSI highway and 41 at a stop sign.

I have always used a Wix filter 57060 with Mobile 1 5w20 full synthetic since its first oil change. So searching the forums here and other sites, the first thing i did was change the oil pressure switch located right on the oil pump. No change same deal, Check engine came on after i cleared the codes and drove about 50km.

I then replaced the oil filter with a Wix 57060XP and boom! oil pressures came back to what they should have been. (55 PSI cruising highway, 41 PSI at a stop).
I opened the old filter to see if there was any debris and there was nothing abnormal about it.

I contacted Wix directly and explained the situation and maybe find out they they had changed the material in their filters and this is what they had to say:

"Sometimes during an oil change the pickup tube can drain out also and air can become trapped in the system. Once this air moves to a certain position in the oil system,that could cause what you experienced. By changing the oil filter it would have released the air pocket and primed the system. The same result could have been achieved by removing the filter and filling it with oil and putting it right back on the vehicle.

In some cases, it could be the sign of a failing oil pump so that needs to be addressed also.

However, The filter has nothing to do with oil pressure. The pressure regulator in the oil pump
is responsible for keeping the oil pressure in the system at the necessary pressure."

As I don't have the old oil filter because I opened it, I can't test that theory. I also know that the pressure was not low and was normal after the oil change. So if you are reading this, try the above method first and if its still low replace the oil filter first.

To achieve cam displacement for MDS, the oil pressure in the system needs to be over 41 PSI and needs to maintain 36 PSI. If this can't be attained, the system is disabled and a permanent code is written to the PCM.

If that was the case you should be able to remove the filter and still have oil pressure,lol. That answer from Wix scares the hell out of me,lol

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

I contacted Wix directly and explained the situation and maybe find out they they had changed the material in their filters and this is what they had to say:

As I don't have the old oil filter because I opened it, I can't test that theory. I also know that the pressure was not low and was normal after the oil change. So if you are reading this, try the above method first and if its still low replace the oil filter first.

Check the oil pump along with your main and rods bearings. If it's not the filter causing the pressure loss you may have a bigger issue at hand.

OP
OP
M

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the oil pump along with your main and rods bearings. If it's not the filter causing the pressure loss you may have a bigger issue at hand.

I would if I lose pressure again, but in my case the swapping of the oil filter fixed my problem. If it were the main and rod bearings, changing the filter would have given me the same results.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m having the same problem as the OP. Oil pressure gradually degrading. Was 32 at hot idle and 48-49 at 70 mph after the change. After 3000 miles on Royal Purple oil and an RP filter, the pressure gradually dropped to 24-25 hot idle and as low as 39 psi at 70-75 mph.

There is no clatter or banging or lifter racket so far.

I’m changing to Valvoline synthetic and a mopar 339 filter on Tuesday and I ordered a new mopar oil pressure sensor. We’ll see how it goes.