P2201 OBDII code 6.7 fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Greetings,

Yep I've searched high and low and haven't found a definitive answer to my problem :-( I have P2201 showing up from time to time. When I clear it all gone for a short while if I'm driving in town. When I went on the road towing 8000lbs for 1600 miles it didn't show up. Also the first times P2201 showed up it was accompanied by U059E and P1C55 codes. There were some posts back in 2013 but they dealt with Flash updates (mine has the latest as of June 2016) other people spoke about P2201 but didn't finish with what it took to clear it.
Anybody out there have information so I can fix this once and for all? One Youtube video describes a NOX sensor with module but my 2013 doesn't seem to have that very expensive sensor that I can see so that is a no go fix.
I'd be very appreciative if anybody can shed some light on this.

Jon

Poway, Ca Happy RAM 6.7 owner

OP
OP

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I Googled the P2201 code and found a ton of information including this YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94WES_vyCc).

It should be covered under your emissions warranty, have your delaer troubleshoot it.

Thanks, I have googled to beat the band and have yet to come up with an answer that's why I'm posting here. Hoping somebody's personal experience has the answer. The you tube I've viewed numerous times and yet my truck doesn't have the sensor with module as shown in the video. I have replaced the sensor on the front of the DPF but on my truck it's a temperature sensor and not a NOX sensor. I'll keep researching as well as troubleshooting til I find the solution.

Last edited:

jimmalouin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to the Dodge dealer and was told my check engine light scanned as P2201. The tech says it is the NOx sensor at the turbo. Since there are NOx sensors at the dpf and cat, how do I know the turbo NOx sensor is the correct sensor to replace?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This might be helpful to you:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P2201 refers to the bank 1 upstream sensor so the Dodge garage may have given you partial info.

Good luck!

jimmalouin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MADDOG, when you speak of the 'upstream' sensor, are you saying that it is NOT the NOx sensor on the turbo elbow? My dealer scanned mine (2013 with 6.7) and came up with P2201, sensor 1/1, as well as P1C55 (NOx sensor performance). The dealer tech says it was the sensor by the turbo, as I mentioned above. The video you posted deals with the sensor by the dpf. I sure hope you have the correct sensor number for the one by the turbo, as I am getting nowhere but confused after two days of trying to determine this. I guess I can remove the sensor, and get the part number off the back of the module (I hope), but then it will be out of service until the new one arrives. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
P2201 is for the Nox sensor at the turbo, the other sensor is located at the exit of the SCR. Pretty well anytime I’ve come across circuit performance codes for the Nox sensors, it’s been the sensors themselves that have failed.

So I would remove the sensor, make sure it’s not loose, no exhaust leaks near it and no signs of oil on the sensor. If that’s all good, put a new sensor in it.

Heads up as well, they’re not cheap.

DaddyWyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. 69mach1, I have the 2013 and you will find the upstream NOx sensor right behind the turbo elbow(passenger side just below the firewall). You will have to remove the Right front fender well to access/replace it. It’s about a 2 hour job, only because the control head is mounted right behind the oil filter where there’s almost no room for two big hands. What I learned, take the upper mount bolt of the control head out, rotate the control head towards the fender well and your sausage fingers can get to the lower mount bolt and nut below and inboard of the cannon plug(electrical connector). It’s not too difficult but my chest felt like I got punched since I didn’t remove the passenger front tire and had my 245lb butt resting on it. Hope this helps you a little bit.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
P2201 is for the Nox sensor at the turbo, the other sensor is located at the exit of the SCR. Pretty well anytime I’ve come across circuit performance codes for the Nox sensors, it’s been the sensors themselves that have failed.

So I would remove the sensor, make sure it’s not loose, no exhaust leaks near it and no signs of oil on the sensor. If that’s all good, put a new sensor in it.

Heads up as well, they’re not cheap.

I know this is super old but you only have two of them it could be where it's shown in this video or it could be in the elbow of the turbo it's the same sensor just different location for a different year

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Tach-Tech,

Just to be clear, the upstream NOX sensor is just below the turbo and on top. Right

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, you are correct.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Tach-tech,

***** to get to.

Appears I need to remove the fender line to to to the sensor. And maybe the oil filter.

Always been intimidated by diesels but this looks like a plug-n-play.

Thanks for your response.