P2459 Diesel Particulate Filter REgeneration Frequency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdlowrider8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 & 2003
Engine
Diesel 6.7L
My 2014 6.7 Ram threw three p2459 regeneration codes recently running through Georgia on the way from Minnesota to Florida. The indicator light is still on and the regeneration cycle isn't happening as it has in the past. Any ideas? I can reset it and see what happens, although I'm going to be down south here for a while and don't want to have any problems on the road. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try cleaning your MAF (mass air flow sensor). I have seen a few people in the past that had this code pop up and it was do to a faulty/dirty MAF sensor or they had put on an after market air intake.
The code is for High frequency of regen but the faulty MAF can throw off the air flow reading which makes it think the DPF is clogged. If that doesn't work it could be the DPF is getting clogged.

OP
OP
H

hdlowrider8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 & 2003
Engine
Diesel 6.7L
Thanks. I cleared the code and drove it for a while. It has not come back, but I expect it will not fix the problem. The connections look good. The MAF sensor looks clean and the aftermarket intake filter is clean.
I drove it around today at 2500 rpm for 30 minutes with no regen happening. I didn't expect it to do any thing but someone thought it might start a manual regen. I'll keep an eye on it moving forward and see what happens.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What did you end up doing?
The OP hasn't been back since last June.
As usual they come here asking for advice and never come back to let us know of the outcome. :(

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I wish I could know precisely when the automatic "diesel exhaust regeneration in process" will occur on my 2019 3500. I often check the DPF screen in the dash cluster to see where things are, and I try to guess when it is that I can "force" a regen by going out and driving it hard. I have, many times, done just that--when the screen shows over 1/4--to no avail. Then, all of a sudden, while I may be running errands around town I notice the truck running a little rough/ noisy & sure enough I see a regen has started. To me, this is very inconvenient. It's like all of a sudden I have to drop everything and do what the truck is telling me to do: go out and drive at least 1,900 rpm until the regen is complete. Sigh. Groan.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Normally down here in the little Arizona Sonoran Desert town of Ajo, when the DPF screen shows over 1/4 full, an automatic regen will start and I'll head onto the highway and drive at 1,800 rpm until it's done. Today, knowing it was over 1/4 full I set out to drive down the 65 mph highway to the town of Why for breakfast, and almost immediately the screen said "automatic exhaust system regen in progress." Great, I thought. But not long afterwards I heard a tone and the screen said "reduced power. DPF Full. See dealer." And sure enough the DPF screen was at 100%. So, it went from a little over 1/4 full to 100% full in a matter of a couple minutes ??? WTH

My 3500 only has 11,000 miles on it. This has never happened. What do I do?