Paint correction How to???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What do y'all use for paint correction?
How do you do it?
Is it difficult to do?
Does it take forever to do?
Whats the hardest color to correct?

Blue Mule

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Kind of a rabbit hole but will answer the questions you listed...

For 1 step paint corrections, I use my Cyclo dual orbital buffer, green pads and an easy cutting polish along the lines of a Meguiars 210 or Menzerna Final Finish 3000. For 2 steps, Meguiars 110 followed by 210 or Menzerna 400 followed by Final Finish 3000. All of these are typically followed by either a good glaze or a wax of your choice.

Usually done at a slow but steady pace with the dual orbital.

Paont corrections are usually fairly difficult, as they involve multiple steps.

Have done paint corrections that last 4 hours, and some that last 20 hours... All depends on the paint condition of the vehicle you're working on. Lots of prep involved as well, with taping off weatherstripping, emblems, etc.

Darker colors are definitely harder to correct, but the most gratifying.

I have some pictures of some paint corrections I can dig up. Lots of work, but definitely worth the effort.

Just scratching the surface here... Pun intended.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks @Gamedog
I got my 2020 diamond black crystal truck yesterday. I noticed that the paint is wavy looking.
Its got 150 miles on it.
I'm retired so time isn't a big factor.
I use only Meguiars products.
I like Meguiars because it can be gotten about anywhere. Really high quality for the price.
I'm gonna follow your instructions to the letter.
After the first cut with the 210 then wash,then 110 back to 210,wash,clay bar,Meguiars ceramic wax,Meguiars ceramic polish and detailer.
Hope i got it right. Pray that i can do it. Ive got arthritis in both shoulders and arms.

Blue Mule

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Thanks @Gamedog
I got my 2020 diamond black crystal truck yesterday. I noticed that the paint is wavy looking.
Its got 150 miles on it.
I like Meguiars because it can be gotten about anywhere. Really high quality for the price.
After the first cut with the 210 then wash,then 110 back to 210,wash,clay bar,Meguiars ceramic wax,Meguiars ceramic polish and detailer.
Hope i got it right. Pray that i can do it. Ive got arthritis in both shoulders and arms.

Blue Mule

Reading your post made me realize I forgot to mention how to strip and clay... Sorry about that!

When washing before a paint correction or wax/sealant application, you'll want to start with Dawn dish soap and water to strip whatever waxes you might already have on your paint. Clay using Meguiars Quick Detailer as your clay lube, then wash again with normal car soap.

If going for a deep cut (although with only 150 miles on it, not sure it needs the deep cut) just start directly with the 110, then move to the 210. Note that if you were to start with the 210 and then move to the 110, that you'd be cutting away any efforts you made with the 210 to begin with, as the 110 is a heavier cutting polish.

Oh and there really isn't a need to wash between polish applications.

Just remember to wipe off any dust or sealant residue before you apply the wax of your choice.

It'll be a long process, especially if doing it all with elbow grease.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions along the way!

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Check out this video, let me know if you have any questions after watching.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Corey Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks @Gamedog
Its got 150 miles on it.

Blue Mule
I just bought a Laramie in the same color. Love the truck so much!! 12 inch screen is amazing. Good luck with the correction. I’m about to start myself, spider webs from the dealer. I will be using Sonax perfect finish, it’s top of the line stuff. After I will be ceramic coating with Carpro Cquarts UK 3.0....it will be a job to do it right but looking forward to it. After I clean and detail it I’m in pain for two days so good luck with your condition.

Corey Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reading your post made me realize I forgot to mention how to strip and clay... Sorry about that!

When washing before a paint correction or wax/sealant application, you'll want to start with Dawn dish soap and water to strip whatever waxes you might already have on your paint. Clay using Meguiars Quick Detailer as your clay lube, then wash again with normal car soap.

If going for a deep cut (although with only 150 miles on it, not sure it needs the deep cut) just start directly with the 110, then move to the 210. Note that if you were to start with the 210 and then move to the 110, that you'd be cutting away any efforts you made with the 210 to begin with, as the 110 is a heavier cutting polish.

Oh and there really isn't a need to wash between polish applications.

Just remember to wipe off any dust or sealant residue before you apply the wax of your choice.

It'll be a long process, especially if doing it all with elbow grease.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions along the way!
Suggestion, after you finish your correction and before you apply the protection you should wipe down With an IPA. Mix 50% distilled water and 50% alcohol. This will clean off any oils left behind by the polish.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just bought a Laramie in the same color. Love the truck so much!! 12 inch screen is amazing. Good luck with the correction. I’m about to start myself, spider webs from the dealer. I will be using Sonax perfect finish, it’s top of the line stuff. After I will be ceramic coating with Carpro Cquarts UK 3.0....it will be a job to do it right but looking forward to it. After I clean and detail it I’m in pain for two days so good luck with your condition.
Bout got mine the way it should've been before I took delivery. But it sure is looking good. That Diamond Crystal Black Pearl is hard to keep clean especially since i live on a dirt road. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Black 20 Ram

Corey Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My detail guy gave me this tip... He uses a clay mitt such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Manopla-deta...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

He gets his soap bucket set up and after the initial rinse, uses his wash mitt on one hand and the clay mitt on the other hand. Soap on and then follow with the clay mitt. Goes much faster than using a clay bar and the mitt last longer.
Just be careful not to use the clay mitt in circular motions. It will put microscopic marring.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have found that the "clay mitt and/or Nano towel" do not do as good a job as a regular clay bar. They will clean up the surface but they are not near as effective as a regular clay bar when it comes to the "heavy stuff". Always use plenty of lube!
Jay

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Why is it that no parts store or box store for that matter sells just the clay? You can buy the correct spray,tools, or other items you may need but not the clay bars. Sucks to have to buy new kits constantly

Black 20 Ram