Paint flaking on 2014 rear bumper....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Hey yall. Just noticed the other day that the paint is flaking up near the step pad on my truck in more than one spot. Pretty sweet deal with 11K miles on the ODO. Anybody know what hoops the stealership will make me jump through to try and get this solved?

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Every dealer is different. It's very easy to say that the paint damage is from wear and tear not defective workmanship. There seem to be a lot of paint problems especially on bumpers. I would be willing to bet they aren't adding enough flex agent to the paint mix for the bumpers. But what do I know

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm confused, flaking paint at 11k is a sweet deal?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There seem to be a lot of paint problems especially on bumpers.
True story, which is why I chose not to jump on the monotone paint bandwagon the trend followers jumped on the last few years. Not a single solitary mark on mine and it's 4 years old

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Believe it or not the flex agent used in the paint actually wears off or evaporates out over time. Urethane bumpers require more prep than metal or fiberglass. The main thing is a adhesion promotor which doesn't allow the paint to flex but it literally "melts" the rubber for the primer to adhere which is what the paint sticks too.

I've painted urethane bumpers and metal etc with 2k urethane paint and didn't use any flex additives as I read up that they wear out after a year or 2. I used bulldog adhesion promoter on the bumpers and I don't run impact bars behind and the bumper flexes a lot when u lean or push on it and haven't had any issues. It's all about the prep!

Side note the rear bumpers are painted metal so the flexadditive is a moot point. I find the paint on my 14 to be very "soft" as in it scratches/chips easily. Ram has had some issues with paint recently esp with the white colors. I bet is shotty prep.

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I'm confused, flaking paint at 11k is a sweet deal?

It was just sarcasm. Not too pleased is all. I'm tempted to just get a chrome rear bumper, slap it on my truck and be done with it. Would that look odd at all?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I'd rather u rhino line it first. Chrome still rusts!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Never had any problems with the chrome rear bumper on my 2009. Paintable rear bumper is an expensive ***** plus paint.

U will see it rust, once the chrome is damaged it bubbles away like crazy. Also it will rot from behind.

That's why I say rhino line it, comes in some colors, u couldn't damage it if u wanted to. Never worry about it again lol

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U will see it rust, once the chrome is damaged it bubbles away like crazy. Also it will rot from behind.

That's why I say rhino line it, comes in some colors, u couldn't damage it if u wanted to. Never worry about it again lol

That takes like 10 years to happen though. I live in salty snowy Canada and I very rarely see rust on any vehicles here that are less than a decade old (vehicles period, not just trucks). The only exceptions I see to that are normally poorly maintained and beat up company vans, pickups and cargo trucks.

Also when a chrome bumper does eventually go, you can swap them out easy peasie for about $200 buying from a local yard or off someone on kijiji. My wife always gets my hand-me-down when I buy every 5 years so our 2nd vehicle stays here for 10 years. In 25 years of being together, only one of them got a wee bit of noticeable rust on it and that was a cheap old budget chevy we had in the mid 90's. She's driving a 2008 Accord right now, not a speck of rust on it. Lots of paint chips on the front bumper though! :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
That takes like 10 years to happen though. I live in salty snowy Canada and I very rarely see rust on any vehicles here that are less than a decade old (vehicles period, not just trucks). The only exceptions I see to that are normally poorly maintained and beat up company vans, pickups and cargo trucks.

Also when a chrome bumper does eventually go, you can swap them out easy peasie for about $200 buying from a local yard or off someone on kijiji. My wife always gets my hand-me-down when I buy every 5 years so our 2nd vehicle stays here for 10 years. In 25 years of being together, only one of them got a wee bit of noticeable rust on it and that was a cheap old budget chevy we had in the mid 90's. She's driving a 2008 Accord right now, not a speck of rust on it. Lots of paint chips on the front bumper though! :roflsquared:

I think im just gonna pick up a chrome bumper to toss on and be done with it. Anybody selling a chrome bumper with exhaust cut-outs????