Paint those rusted drive shafts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I think mine was rusty the first day I brought it home, brand new. I'm not concerned at all about it, it's a truck. I suppose if you're showing your truck with mirrors underneath it, you might want to paint it, or if you want it to look nice for the homeless guy that's trying to steal catalytic converters from underneath your Hemi.

Otherwise, who cares? No one's going to see it, and it doesn't harm anything. It's just surface rust and the shaft will naturally stay in balance if you leave it alone. I always go by the adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If you're a perfectionist remove the rusted shaft, have it sandblasted and then powder coated. Afterwards check the balance.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have all of the exposed metal (Including frame) under My truck painted in Tremclad/rustoleum paint. Driveshaft was the first. I do the cv shafts as well. I touch up/re coat each year. I haven’t touched the driveshaft though in two years! She still looks like I did it yesterday!

Is that Tremclad available in the US? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that Tremclad available in the US? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Rustoleum for you guys, same company and don’t know why they don’t just have one paint. We have some of the rustoleum products here, well in Ontario anyways but I always see Tremclad everywhere and like $7 a Spray can or $17 A can of paint (smaller can).

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rustoleum for you guys, same company and don’t know why they don’t just have one paint. We have some of the rustoleum products here, well in Ontario anyways but I always see Tremclad everywhere and like $7 a Spray can or $17 A can of paint (smaller can).
OK cool I guess I allready have it then

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They just put some kind of “road leveller” down in on main road Two days agai to keep it smooth and the dust to minimal. Hence the 500 potholes lol. Some days are worse than others.

I wonder if they use the same maintenance schedule we have on our mountain? Every 2 years they bring in a half dozen tri axles of fill but it always get spread in front of HOA board members homes...

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if they use the same maintenance schedule we have on our mountain? Every 2 years they bring in a half dozen tri axles of fill but it always get spread in front of HOA board members homes...
Idk, but it’s like they forget the whole other two roads in the community and only does one that last until the next rain fall (which is today, thunderstorm
Today) lol.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
This thread had me wondering. Nope... no rust, given its an aluminum one, and I do steam clean everything. The OCD part of me says take care if the universal joints though :waytogo:

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
If you're a perfectionist remove the rusted shaft, have it sandblasted and then powder coated. Afterwards check the balance.

Powder coat is no guarantee of rust prevention. I live near the beach and everyone that gets a powder coated gate or powder coated lawn furniture ends with it rusting within a year. Rust never sleeps, but I don't lose sleep over my drive shaft rusting. It's only cosmetic, the drive shaft isn't going to disintegrate.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I can't stand rust on three things, my truck, my tools and well .

Most know the "before" look so I'll spare the bandwidth, but the after I will show a couple peeks.

Not sure how to coat the driveshaft and stop, I had to address every item under there including the exhaust and dropping the skids to be super **** rattle can guy.

Surface prep included a good wash and dry, quick brush for loose, rust reformer primer, and then the sexy Canyon Black. The exhaust is done in high heat 2000F black.

20200424_050747.jpg 20200424_004346.jpg 20200424_000603.jpg 20200524_120723.jpg Screenshot_20200524-230030_Video Player.jpg

Now if she's flexn her junk or were going over backwards, she'll still look good from most angles, especially without a rusty shaft. (thank gawd she doesn't have a rusty shaft)

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Unless you're driving around in a show truck, who cares what the underside looks like? As long as the rust isn't making the truck unsafe to drive nobody cares. It's just gonna get dirty next time the truck is driven down a dirt road. :pp:

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Unless you're driving around in a show truck, who cares what the underside looks like? As long as the rust isn't making the truck unsafe to drive nobody cares. It's just gonna get dirty next time the truck is driven down a dirt road. :pp:
Apparently I care, at least enough to try and mitigate the uglies.

My mod list is approx 80% performance based and will never be "seen". I am not polished and I'm obviously not building a show truck, but I guarantee her and I do like to show, usually with WOT.

I hate rust, passionately. I also live in a state where I can beat it with my time, effort and decent materials. Not everybody does, I get that. But stage a rusty truck next to a non-rusty and roll a poll. I've got a sixer of favorites that says a non-rusty shaft will win the princess contest. :)

There's nothing wrong w caring how one presents while waiting for the rest of the field to finish.

[emoji482] to the good life

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sexy chit there, well done! I buy that truck Everytime! (They're just not for sale very often)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
thanks, my wife thinks Im nuts...but I say "booty always has to look good"

end of argument LOL

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me, I like anything i own to look good!!! Look good = Feel good!!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes was in the box.