Paint work issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adams says temperature doesnt matter. I did the wifes jeep in the 40s and it took like 4 minutes vs 2 minutes. It may take longer. Just needs to rainbow then you wipe it off.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Well Fellas!
Persistence pays off! My truck is back and it is effing AWESOME! If not perfect, as good as possible.
Those of you with really bad orange peel/paint defects, (it has to be pretty bad)talk to your dealers nicely. It is all about how they present it. This job cost over $7,500 WARRANTY.
I think FCA just hope/know most people will not bother.
I am happy, very pleased and a huge part of that was the help of Ashland Chrysler, Ford of Ashland WI.
Not going to post pictures, it’s just RIGHT!

Now, ceramic coating!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This is what I used...sounds like the same thing. As far as I'm concerned...junk. lasted one wash. I applied it according to the instructions on the bottle. It seemed to bead fine if you just used water, once you used soap it was gone. Then rinse with water after the soap and zero beading and slow to sheet off. Like I said, I used Adam's graphene ceramic spray coating on driver side rear door and the meguiars everywhere else. Meguiars was gone on the first wash and the Adam's was there for a year and still beading great. If it works for you great!!! Didn't for me!!

This stuff here works great and honestly is only meant as a spray on wax ... again a lot of people think they apply it correctly but they dont .... here is how I do it

First of all you have to make sure that your paint job is pretty clean, meaning there is not much contaminants on the paint/clear coat .... if your vehicles paint is dirty it is not going to stick on at all , simple as that ..

So best thing to do is the following ...

1. Wash car as normal, you can spray an iron remover of your choice to remove all contaminants

2. Rinse everything really good, if you have a foam cannon even better ....

3. Clay bar, synthetic clay bar like Mothers or your choice

4. Polish/buff .... Most of the time you will probably get away with a good and quick 1 step with any dual action polisher

5. Use a IPA solution to wipe down every single panel ... once you have done that spray the whole car with the water hose and don't dry it ...

6. Get the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax in the blue bottle and spray each panel , you don't need much, one spray is enough for a whole panel

7. After you have sprayed every panel with the Meguiars HCW, use the water hose or pressure washer and spray each panel from the bottom going up .... you want to use the pressure washer or water hose and spread it evenly throughout the car, DON'T rinse it off !!!

8. You are not ready to dry your vehicle using a new or clean microfiber towel ..... use one to dry it and spreading it evenly throughout each panel ... You "might" see some streaks but you are going to use a 2nd towel to buff it all off very similar to how you apply a "TRUE" ceramic coating ...

The longer that sits on your car without any water getting on it after you dry it the better it is going to work .... I also mix about an ounce if that in a spray bottle and use it a drying agent when I am washing any vehicle for my customers .....

So again, this stuff is not going to work on a vehicle if the paint/clear coat is not clean ... just like a true ceramic coating, it needs to be able to go into those pores to adhere, if it can't grab onto anything of course it is going to wash right off with the first wash you give it ..

You should also not use a shampoo that is not ph Neutral if you have any type of sealant, spray on wax like this one or PnS bead maker ..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
This is what I used...sounds like the same thing. As far as I'm concerned...junk. lasted one wash. I applied it according to the instructions on the bottle. It seemed to bead fine if you just used water, once you used soap it was gone. Then rinse with water after the soap and zero beading and slow to sheet off. Like I said, I used Adam's graphene ceramic spray coating on driver side rear door and the meguiars everywhere else. Meguiars was gone on the first wash and the Adam's was there for a year and still beading great. If it works for you great!!! Didn't for me!!
One more thing, visit my Instagram page and take a look for yourself, I have proof that this stuff really does work ... but again it has to be applied correctly to a clean surface

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I regret to report, now I have my truck home and I polished it, even though there is very little orange peel and surfaces very smooth,you can see in direct sunlight all the swirling and marks in the paint work. Remember, this is a black truck.Very very disappointed. Back I go Monday.
Overspray inside doors in hard to reach places, inside fuel flap which was MASKED and not removed etc etc. Tape lines inside edges of doors…….
Am I being picky? Yes, probably. But as we all know find one major thing wrong and keep looking.
Now I am stewing on this and getting angry which is never good.
Bought in May, all that time to get FCA to approve, month in shop and………
If you know what you were about, it is obvious it has been sprayed and that is what I didn’t want to have happen.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I regret to report, now I have my truck home and I polished it, even though there is very little orange peel and surfaces very smooth,you can see in direct sunlight all the swirling and marks in the paint work. Remember, this is a black truck.Very very disappointed. Back I go Monday.
Overspray inside doors in hard to reach places, inside fuel flap which was MASKED and not removed etc etc. Tape lines inside edges of doors…….
Am I being picky? Yes, probably. But as we all know find one major thing wrong and keep looking.
If you know what you were about, it is obvious it has been sprayed and that is what I didn’t want to have happen.

That would have me fuming too !!! ...

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Before you do anything talk to a attorney! That is complete B.S and the dealer and Ram should be held responsible for that especially the dealer since they know what exactly they are putting out there. What state are you in and how long have you had it?

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I still need to approach the dealer again first, see if they can put right. I have had a good reslationship with them so far.
I have had it since May and live in WI

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still need to approach the dealer again first, see if they can put right. I have had a good reslationship with them so far.
I have had it since May and live in WI
Sorry to hear that. Good luck. I like my vehicles to look basically perfect. It makes a guy mad when ya spend the kind of money we do on these things and that is how they are from the factory!!! Hope it all works out for you.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When they paint the wifes fender on her Jeep it had 3 pin holes in the paint, it came back very swirled. I had to work on it to get them out with my swirl killer. I will say this years ago I had a 08 Cobalt. A guy lost a piece of plywood on a windy day and it hit the roof running about 70 mph. I took it to my dealer and you could see the sand marks. Just awful PBW. It went back 2 more times before I just excepted it would only be so good. I could have done a better job on it then that.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Those are my thoughts at the moment. Do it myself.
I spent about 1 1/2 hrs on the two front doors yesterday with compound and polish with a proper polisher. I used a very high output light to show up swirls as I worked. It is SO much improved. I need some sun now to check and if it is acceptable to me I am going to continue with it and just get them to do the tape lines and overspray, (maybe!)
I like doing this stuff anyway so here’s hoping.
If after I do two doors on one side and I can’t see too much crap in direct sunlight I will be happy.
Best news is the tailgate and hood (especially the hood) are absolutely perfect as is. I won’t have to continually view a bad job through the windscreen every time I get in lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Just be careful and don't put too much pressure when polishing it .... you can very easily leave holograms that you can only see out in the sun and at certain angles lol ..

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I wanted to ask for some honest opinions here about the quality of paint on my new 2021 1500 Longhorn. Black Pearl……….COVERED in orange peel. I was so happy to get it, I admit I didn’t pay as much attention until I set out to polish. Dealer has submitted a warranty claim….. denied!
what do I do? Needs wet flatting and repolishing. Independent places won’t touch it in case they burn thru the very thin clear coat. See pics below. Very hard to capture on film.
Wow! Makes me not want to look at my truck any closer. Maybe trade it off to some dealer at more than you paid and try again?

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Just be careful and don't put too much pressure when polishing it .... you can very easily leave holograms that you can only see out in the sun and at certain angles lol ..
Thanks for that. I think that’s the problem. So I am using a fine compound to get them out then a polish pad and polish. I can still see some
I just can’t see the dealers shop doing this any better. I need a good detailer ( none up here ) so I may have to go to Duluth anyhow. This fella who does ceramic reckons he can get them out.
I really do want to do this myself.
I am going to PM you CheechDog as you kindly suggested.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thanks for that. I think that’s the problem. So I am using a fine compound to get them out then a polish pad and polish. I can still see some
I just can’t see the dealers shop doing this any better. I need a good detailer ( none up here ) so I may have to go to Duluth anyhow. This fella who does ceramic reckons he can get them out.
I really do want to do this myself.
I am going to PM you CheechDog as you kindly suggested.

As much as I hate telling people this I am going to tell you .... a Dual Action polisher is the best way to remove swirl marks without any holograms or burn marks to your finish ..... I have already gotten very comfortable with a rotary polisher, I have a dewalt DWP849X .... it's not the best for anyone who's never really polished but SOB is this thing a beast when you get the hang of it ..

I would recommend you get a good DU like Griots or Bauer from Harbor Freight or the Maxshine , very easy to use, light on the wallet and very great starter polishers ...since you are probably not going to be using a polisher regularly like I do, I would go with something like this ...