Painted engine cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpost01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap. I like it a lot. Since truck is red it would be nice to paint it red instead of your silver. What paint you use? I just had to replace my windshield washer sprayers and pulled down the heat fabric and spray painted it black because it looked old and dirty.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

dpost01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many coats of silver you use? It looks damn good

Have a link for the decals?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many coats of silver you use? It looks damn good

Have a link for the decals?

I spray 4 coats and the fourth coat i laid on a little heavy and fine sanded in between coats and 1 coat of clear coat the company is called reflective concepts. They sent me 2 sets for $20 with adhesion promoter and its licensed by mopar. they're quality decals and super fast shipping hope this helps you

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think there's a couple of other threads on this kicking round, but here's mine.

These are older pics, there's a whole matching Billet Tech kit in blue under there as well now. I need to take new pictures...

-K

20180713-095152.jpg

20180525-092854.jpg

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think there's a couple of other threads on this kicking round, but here's mine.

These are older pics, there's a whole matching Billet Tech kit in blue under there as well now. I need to take new pictures...

-K

20180713-095152.jpg

20180525-092854.jpg
That looks sweet i like the tipm box cover i was thinking of doing the billet kit im running out of mods to do

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old truck the WhytRam I painted the cover as well as airbox and tipmView attachment 207810

Then I did the vararam. Ran like this for a while then pulled cover off

View attachment 207811
That looks sweet you guys are giving me the idea of painting my tipm cover thats why i love this forum we all help each other and get new ideas how do you like the vararam? I was thinking about getting that i have a S & B cai now

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks sweet you guys are giving me the idea of painting my tipm cover thats why i love this forum we all help each other and get new ideas how do you like the vararam? I was thinking about getting that i have a S & B cai now

I love the vararam. I have a pulsar and used a S&B for about 2 or 3 weeks but wasnt happy with the way it mounts and really blocked access to pcm. I put the vararam on and its a win win win. Great pcm access as well as looks cool and adds a little oomph

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Love this Painted Engine Cover threads.
Great source for ideas.
Cheap and effective Mod.

Engine%20Cover-T.jpg

04-t.jpg

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwestshutterbug.png

For those interested in how I did this one:

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1260424/

First, I got some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Next, I used a quality paint thinner and a clean linen rag.
Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover. Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grabbed a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store. (NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together, I do not recommend one, over another.)

Sprayed very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

I want that STICK, to the engine cover, so my paint can stick, to it.

Once the adhesive promoter was dry. I then did the same with the Primer.
Applying light coats, according to the can itself.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

After that final coat of primer dried, started in on paint.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

Masked off & painted the middle section, first.

Once dry, taped it off and painted the sides.
(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Once the completed middle section was done and dry, taped it off.

Simply too my time, used good paint tape.

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Once everything was painted, clear coat everything.
I used four coats of paint, followed by four coats of clear.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Sorry.
Did not mean to bring this thread to an end.
Like looking at what guys do to the engine Covers.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great source for ideas.
Cheap and effective Mod.

Engine%20Cover-T.jpg

04-t.jpg

First, I got some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover. Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grabbed a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store. (NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together, I do not recommend one, over another.)

Sprayed very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Same as mine, accept I went full black and red VHT engine paint with their clear coat. I’ll post a pic today once I get out and clean it lol. Isolation with dirt roads isn’t good for pics!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I keep my 2012 very clean under the roof-always wiping down with wet rags and keep everything and shiney. Now I want to paint my cover and intake box and fuse box. Leave it to this forum to take up even more of my time. If I can find the time I will be doing this because it looks impressive and relatively affordable. I just hope I dont annoy everyone when I say "HEy, check out my engine bay"
I love the red and silver combo. I painted my wiper arms to match my truck (red metallic and clear coated) and got a stubby to match.
So now I will atleast do the engine cover and might aswell do the other covers at the same time.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great source for ideas.
Cheap and effective Mod.

Engine%20Cover-T.jpg

04-t.jpg

Old T-shirts work well.

Gofishin--You should start a business doing these cover-give a choice of color combos. Customer comes in-you remove cover and ask what color combo-they drive away and come back when its done. Most vehicles today have them and can run without them
Spray a dozen a day-dries quick. Masking is the tedious part.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those look great guys!!!!! Just showing pride in your truck. When you paint the engine cover and fuse box, don't forget the hood struts. LOL
Jay